Who should we target?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trick to trading is buying players under their value. There's no point throwing the kitchen sink at a player given where we are at. One way of getting players under value if by making astute decisions and picking players who are not that highly rated and will improve drastically. Another way is trading homesick players who have told their clubs they want to return to WA.

We should be making discreet inquiries to the likes of Myers, Reimers, Hill. If someone could convince them to return home then their price drops. Cash is not so much a problem but what we have to give up for a good player is. Given that West Coast are cashed up, they should introduce a covert recruitment team not dissimilar to some of the covert agencies the Whitehouse have. They could use all sorts of tricks to make players homesick, including a good 'ol fashioned honeypot.

Do you really think the eagles are at a stage in their development to be trading? I know Nisbett came out and said they were. The eagles last trade was for chick and stenglein and they had to give up draft picks. These players were highly valued and entering the twilight of their careers. Similar if a club wanted the last contract for cox/kerr/glass/embley.

Trading for undervalued players is not the key at all and very risky. The current club know everything about a player whereas an external club does not. Trading for established personnel who will be heavily entrenched in the best 22 is a proven method.
I don't mind if trades go ahead this year as long as the 1st round draft pick is kept! But Sheahan and others have indicated that this draft is similar to the 2001 super draft in depth so maybe this isn't the year.

Do you really think the eagles are at a stage in their development to be trading? I know Nisbett came out and said they were. The eagles last trade was for chick and stenglein and they had to give up draft picks. These players were highly valued and entering the twilight of their careers. Similar if a club wanted the last contract for cox/kerr/glass/embley.

Trading for undervalued players is not the key at all and very risky. The current club know everything about a player whereas an external club does not. Trading for established personnel who will be heavily entrenched in the best 22 is a proven method.
I don't mind if trades go ahead this year as long as the 1st round draft pick is kept! But Sheahan and others have indicated that this draft is similar to the 2001 super draft in depth so maybe this isn't the year.

Top post Pat :thumbsu:

Really like the last point.

People keep harping on about the 'draft concessions' the Gold Coast have, and yes it is ridiculous how much they do get.

Truth is though, a lot of recruiters seem to think that this draft goes deep and that a few 'gems' will be found later in the draft.

Just another example of 'Bigfooty users seeing what they want to see' I think...

i think people are expecting our young guys to come in and become champions off the bat.
we have plenty of talent on our list to fill 2 midfields but are either injured or just dont have enough experience to make a consistent impact on games yet.

masten - needs time on the park and in the right position
stevens - has played what? 2 games?
shuey - been injured for 2 years. our best prospect
swift - played maybe 15 games. showed genuine signs but needs time
smith - looks like a regular
houlihan - couldnt have played more than 15 games. really lifted us late last year.

looking at even the above mentioned players.. ebert is the only young player that has been able to come in and be fit enough to play regularly and is nearly at the 50 game mark.

he goes pretty good and he is probably the least talented of the above listed.

just let nature take its course lads!

i think people are expecting our young guys to come in and become champions off the bat.
we have plenty of talent on our list to fill 2 midfields but are either injured or just dont have enough experience to make a consistent impact on games yet.

masten - needs time on the park and in the right position
stevens - has played what? 2 games?
shuey - been injured for 2 years. our best prospect
swift - played maybe 15 games. showed genuine signs but needs time
smith - looks like a regular
houlihan - couldnt have played more than 15 games. really lifted us late last year.

looking at even the above mentioned players.. ebert is the only young player that has been able to come in and be fit enough to play regularly and is nearly at the 50 game mark.

he goes pretty good and he is probably the least talented of the above listed.

just let nature take its course lads!

Another top post :thumbsu:

Wish Essendon supporters were as understanding and respectful of the situation like WCE supporters..

Well im totally against trading away picks for players when you finish bottom six on the ladder. I support trading away picks for quality players that can come into your side and make you a better team. (Eg: Chicky and Stinger).

No recruiting department is perfect and we make mistakes, but we are best going to know those mistakes a couple of years down the track when we are sitting in the top eight and have holes within our best 22. We can then look at trading away picks for a "required player" from an East Coast team who want's to come back to WA.

My attitude is we need to pump games into young playes and "reasonably" trade/ move on as many mature age players over the next two years as possible. If we can strengthen our position within the next two drafts while we are a bottom eight side in 2010 and 2011 then our draft advantage over other established clubs will be greater than that of normal.

Fast forward to 2012 we should be looking at getting into the eight again. Id be looking to trade away picks for players in the 2012/ 2013 draft(s).

Trading away picks for players in our situation is fine if a) we don't pay massive overs, and b) the player is in the same age group next time we push for a premiership.

We can however afford to pay massive overs in terms of $ to lure the player, given our salary cap.

So I would certainly consider trading pick 4 away to secure somebody like Gumbleton if we believed his body could hold up.

We seriously need another key position forward and the draft doesn't look to have too many quality prospects apart from Day and possibly Darling who looks to have gone backwards in the last 12 months.

Who would you rather have, Gumbleton or Darling?

Gumbleton is 22, a previous #2 pick, WA kid who has had a bad run with injuries but managed 17 games this year. He is now out for the rest of the year with broken ribs.

Out of contract at the end of the year, we might offer his big bucks and give Essendon our first rounder for Gumby and their 2nd rounder.

With our 2 x second rounders I would then target some small crumbing forwards or quick run and carry players from the draft and/or use our picks to lure Hill, Jetta, Krak etc back to Perth.

It would be nice to see us really be aggressive trade wise this year and throw some $ around, but with GC and GWS coming into the comp everyone is locking their players away early...

Rubbish, ive called for Notte to be moved to the Rookie list at the end of this season.

McKenzie, Brown, Kennedy, Schofield and Jordan Jones are all large enough to support our KPP stocks. We are unlikley to remove Hansen or Lynch at the end of this season, if we do it's probable that we would have active picks in play to get another KPP at some point in this draft.

The KPP's that are standouts at the moment are as follows and in order; Sam Day (195cm), Lucas Cook(194cm) , James Solly (191cm), Jack Darling (190cm).

Now if we where to trade into the draft and secure a late first round or early second round pick, then we would go after Litherland (190cm Defender) or Sebastian Tape (189cm Defender).

At this stage the only KPF that will go potentially ahead of Luke Parker, Shaun Atley and co is Lucas Cook.

Taking a pinch hitting ruckmen/ forward in the mold of Nathan Vardy wouldn't be a bad idea in this draft.

Yer i agree trade for any extra picks possible before the third round which we can use on any talls/project ruckman/ a small pacey fwd we want. Then with our higher picks we need to focus on smalls or maybe a FF we really dont need any more tall backs we have 5 young ones 3 which are good in mckenzie brown schofield. then wilkes spangher which i think should be trade bait. Should also trade mckinley coz he is way to good to not be getting a game and im sure many teams would be happy to trade a 2nd rounder for him. i worry very much about weedon, broome and neates filling the small forward role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't give our 2nd rounder for Myers. I'd consider a 3rd, but I'd be inclined to wait and see as time goes so it becomes clearer who we could reasonably expect to get at a pick in the mid 40's.

WC could do quite well with their first 3 picks in this draft. IMO, Myers is no gimme at that price. WC could obtain him by other means, perhaps the PSD, if that's viable.

Myers would be nice to have at the right price, but his type is not something we urgently require. Due to the lack of need of his type, WC need to be very considered about what they would be willing to pay for him.

WC need to draft for needs. Myers doesn't fill a need. He's a want, so he shouldn't be prioritized.

I wouldn't give our 2nd rounder for Myers. I'd consider a 3rd, but I'd be inclined to wait and see as time goes so it becomes clearer who we could reasonably expect to get at a pick in the mid 40's.

WC could do quite well with their first 3 picks in this draft. IMO, Myers is no gimme at that price. WC could obtain him by other means, perhaps the PSD, if that's viable.

I'd look at trading our 3rd rounder for Myers.

Edit: my bad

What could Hawthorn, who have a need for Cox, offer WC in a trade, player or draft pick wise?

Would their 1st round pick, and an upgrade of our 3rd for their 2nd pick, be sufficient?

At present, the Hawks could offer WC pick 20, which is their 1st round pick.

Would Cox and pick 44 for pick 20+37 be good enough to satisfy WC or Hawthorn?

Cox and 44 for dowler and 20?

I look at their list and no-one really sticks out other than buddy. Lets be honest here as well i dont think pick 4 and cox would get us buddy. Havent seen much of dowler other than 1 game late last year where he got a couple of goals. Obviously in a forward line like hawthorn currently have with the twin towers he's not going to get that great an opportunity.

What could Hawthorn, who have a need for Cox, offer WC in a trade, player or draft pick wise?

Would their 1st round pick, and an upgrade of our 3rd for their 2nd pick, be sufficient?

I think it's more realistic that WCE will be going for players between the ages of 20-23, to bridge the gap between our older players and our new breed. That's what someone said in an article, I can't remember who or where though. So first round draft picks and pick upgrades are unlikely to be in our sights.

I think it's more realistic that WCE will be going for players between the ages of 20-23, to bridge the gap between our older players and our new breed. That's what someone said in an article, I can't remember who or where though. So first round draft picks and pick upgrades are unlikely to be in our sights.

That may turn out to be the case, it's one of many possibilities. Trading Cox for picks that I've suggested is just as viable if we consider that those picks we get for Cox could be used as currency for a trade for the appropriately aged / experienced players that you've stated which is more likely to be wanted.

My proposal and your statement are not mutually exclusive. They both could combine to reach the same goal.

It's rubbish. Glass, Cox, Embley, Lynch ect won't ever see Finals again.

Shoenmakers plus pick 20.

Hawks trying to turn him into a CHB when his natural game is CHF / FF. He's 21/22 same age as Kennedy and a good up and comer for mine.

Pick 20 we use on a mid and Shoenmaker gets played at FF and 5 mins at CHF when Kennedy needs a break.

Might needs to throw in Wilkes / Spangher for depth covering KP backs for the Hawks.

We keep Lynch and Sullivan for rucks and don't need to use any picks on KP forwards or backs, again go for best mids / outsiders available. Pick 4, 20 and 27 on good skillfull, fast mids / wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back