wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
During last week's telecast of the Qld v Tas one-dayer, it was noted that one of the things that may be holding back Martin Love from making it to the national side was that he was considered a very poor fielder.

It brings up an interesting question: When was the last time Australia had a genuinely poor fielder in their side? It is a testament to the culture started by Bobby Simpson that the emphasis placed on fielding in training has helped ensure that the Australian side has been clearly the best fielding side in the world for several seasons.

I would be hard pressed to recall the last time there was a clearly ordinary fielder who played regularly for Australia. The closest I could come up with would be Michael Slater, who I thought was pretty average in the field and did tend to drop the odd sitter here and there - but overall he was passable.

It's easy to remember the dud fielders from other countries: Devon Malcolm and Phil Tufnell are standouts from England, Courtney Walsh was a major liability for the West Indies in later seasons, especially with his slowness and his inability to throw a ball from the outfield. Curtly Ambrose wasn't much better.

The worst overall fielding side are Pakistan - they have barely had any reliable fielders in recent years. In the recent series, the commentators pointed out that the young Pakistani fielders seemed to have trouble even handling the basics of good fielding which is pretty sad.

It will be interesting to see how Darren Lehmann performs in the field in the first Test; I wonder those who don't think he deserved his place in the side might get stuck into him about his relative slugishness in the field.

Slater was a good fieldsmen, and i think Love is overall not a bad fieldsmen, but he probably would be the weakest in the australian team.

ummm but jeez i can't think of a bad fieldsmen in the 10 years i can remember of watching the Australian team.

Tim May?? can't remember him in the field. he conjures up thoughts of a straggler in the field.

I remember Miller dripped that sitter at the SCG one dya.

Martin Love is a decent first slipper.

Of the current Australian side, McGrath is probably the worst, we've seen him drop some catches. I remember seeing him take his first catch in his 16th test!

Of the infielders I'd say Damien Martyn is the poorest, he's put down a few. Steve Waugh aint that great these days, although used to be quite good.

Originally posted by Brett Li

I remember watching one match (in australia) where he made so many f*ck-ups, that the crowd cheered ironically when he caught up with a ball and threw it in from 25 yards.......

I think I remember that match. It was a one-day final against South Africa when he had an absolute horror day in the field, he actually didn't have much of a series of any sort.

But that was generally the exception to the rule, a fine fielder otherwise.

Originally posted by DaveW
Martin Love is a decent first slipper.
Of the infielders I'd say Damien Martyn is the poorest, he's put down a few.
It's fine that you don't like Martyn, you've proved that in previous posts - but don't just make stuff up.

He'd be in our best couple of fielders in the test side (behind Ponting) and has dropped fewer catches than any of the other slips fieldmen. You may have noticed he had replaced Ponting in the slips (and will now be permanent at 2nd slip with Waugh gone).

They don't put guys in there because they can't catch.

BTW - Marto won't be dropped from the side and he will bat at 4 so get over it.

Originally posted by Brett Li

I remember watching one match (in australia) where he made so many f*ck-ups, that the crowd cheered ironically when he caught up with a ball and threw it in from 25 yards.......
Had the best arm in Australia for about 10 years.

Was a decent slips fielder as well.

Carl Rackemann was pretty funny. Watched him in a Test about 10 years ago at the MCG, trying to perform a slide to save a boundary, ended up hitting his head on the fence advertising. Strong arm though.

Bruce Reid was pretty ordinary too. Mark Taylor was #1 in the slips, but not too flash on his rare occasions in the outifeld.

Lehmann would be the worst fielder in the current team but he isn't that bad, just that others are better.

Originally posted by nicko18
Michael Bevan without question IMO. he always rides the boundary and fumbles even then every time it seems. he also has a kenny custard arm

He is only out there because of his speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bevo.

Originally posted by nicko18
Michael Bevan without question IMO. he always rides the boundary and fumbles even then every time it seems. he also has a kenny custard arm

Bevan has had terrible shoulder injuries so he can't throw at all. No power in his shoulder, you see. The problem is, he's an average fielder who would be suited to the outfield because of his speed, but because of his shoulders can't return from the deep. That's why he races around the least offensive areas of the covers and when he goes deep, someone follows him for the relay.

Bruce Reid is the worst Australian fielder I can remember. Hang on, I've just remembered Greg Ritchie. They're the worst two I can remember.

Guys like Lehmann, MacGill, Love are OK just not as good as the mostly excellent fielders who've played for Australia in recent years.

Someone mentioned Greg Matthews, his fielding was quite good from my memory.

Curious player Greg Matthews. An all-rounder who was chosen mostly for his bowling. (We were so desperate for spinners). His bowling was the worst aspect of his game by far. Quite a good test batting record, shocking bowling record.

Tim May easily Australia's worst fieldsman Ive seen play for Australia over the last decade. I think Steve Waugh said about May, "his left hand seems to be allergic to stopping cricket balls". Colin Miller a close 2nd. Of the current team i guess Lehmann if only for his lack of mobility in the field. By no means a poor fielder (reasonably safe hands) but probably the only current player you could take a quick single to or run one "on the arm"

David Boon!
Border tried his hardest to hide him and eventually came up with short leg. I must admit he is one of the best ive seen at short leg but anywhere else in the field and he is an absolute donkey. Lehmann will prove himself to be the worst of the current lot of aussie fieldsmen i would say.

One test wonder Peter McIntyre is the worst fielder (& player) to have played recently. Of the players who have played more than a handful of games in the past 5 or so years, MacGill is the worst. Lehmann is the worst of the current squad, but he has improved with age.

Tugga.

Steve Waugh was great, but now he's like the immovable object at Gully. If it comes within a few feet of him, he'll devour it, but otherwise he's like a tree; rooted to the spot.
Also, no one in world cricket defers the fielding as much as Steve nowadays. It's very entertaining to see his arm shoot up almost as soon as the shot's been played.

Originally posted by davers11
David Boon!
Border tried his hardest to hide him and eventually came up with short leg. I must admit he is one of the best ive seen at short leg but anywhere else in the field and he is an absolute donkey. Lehmann will prove himself to be the worst of the current lot of aussie fieldsmen i would say.

Agree with this. as much as I loved Boonie he was shockin awful in the field except short leg.

Greg Ritchie was just pitiful anywhere in the field.

Bob Holland tried but was hopeless

Rackers was fun to watch

Greg (?) Dyer wasn't much of a keeper from the old dark days of the mid 80's

Jim Higgs, easliy. In fact he was the Aussie Team from the late 70's version of Tufnell. Unfortunately, he was probably before most peoples time on this board.

Originally posted by The Doctor

Of course. Higgs was a star. I loved watching him bat :)
He batted as well as he fielded. :p Anyway, I once saw him cover drive the great Bob Willis for 4 at Adelaide. The ball pitched a foot outside leg stump. Fortunately Jimmy knew exactly where Willis was going to bowl the ball and he had backed away to square leg and creamed it. What a legend...:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Who was Australia's last poor fielder?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back