Who were the bogey teams of the premiership teams and dynasties?

Remove this Banner Ad

Boogey side WHEN IT COUNTS: Hawthorn. Isn’t that right Geelong posters? Gavin Excell ?

baby crying GIF
Ah yes but what about 1963?
Take that 3 Cipio!

Back into the late 80's and early 90's Melbourne used to give us some trouble.

Brian Royal also seemed to kick 5 or 6 against us.

Jeff farmer gave old Luke McCabe a few hidings.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Boogey side WHEN IT COUNTS: Hawthorn. Isn’t that right Geelong posters? Gavin Excell ?

baby crying GIF
Meh, yep 2008 and 2013-2014, but we can cling onto 2011 QF and 2016 QF. Indeed Isaac Smith must have been a secret Geelong plant, as he joined us a few years later and won another Flag and a Norm for us.

The late Ron the Bear confirmed in a question I asked him a few years ago, the Dogs of 2016 were unique in having won a Premiership despite being on a 10-loss losing sequence to Geelong, the only instance of a Premier having such a losing sequence against another club. Not so much a bogey side, but the Cats smashed West Coast at K.P in 2005, and comfortably defeated Sydney there in 2006, although those sides won the Flag in the alternate years.

Collingwood is always a side Geelong has had tough battles with even at our very best, the 2007 PF and 2022 QF in particular, but even later in '07 in our 15 game winning streak the Cats only won by 14 pts at the 'G. Nowadays it's Freo and GWS at Kardinia Park, we haven't won against the Giants since 2018 at K.P.

In saying that, the Cats four Flags all came via a win over the Pies in a final (2 x PF, QF and GF), and in 2020 we won a SF against them. Pies smashed Geelong in the 2010 PF en route to their flag though.

Last edited:

I feel like Freo was and is a bit of a bogey team to Geelong, beat them in a couple of away finals and have a decent record at KP from 2013-2023 including 3 wins and another 2 losses by under a goal, as well as a good record vs them in Perth even when we were crap.

Freo could never beat Hawthorn when we were both contending, but I don't know if you would call that a bogey team as they were better than us.

Meh, yep 2008 and 2013-2014, but we can cling onto 2011 QF and 2016 QF. Indeed Isaac Smith must have been a secret Geelong plant, as he joined us a few years later and won another Flag and a Norm for us.

The late Ron the Bear confirmed in a question I asked him a few years ago, the Dogs of 2016 were unique in having won a Premiership despite being on a 10-loss losing sequence to Geelong, the only instance of a Premier having such a losing sequence against another club. Not so much a bogey side, but the Cats smashed West Coast at K.P in 2005, and comfortably defeated Sydney there in 2006, although those sides won the Flag in the alternate years.

Collingwood is always a side Geelong has had tough battles with even at our very best, the 2007 PF and 2022 QF in particular, but even later in '07 in our 15 game winning streak the Cats only won by 14 pts at the 'G. Nowadays it's Freo and GWS at Kardinia Park, we haven't won against the Giants since 2018 at K.P.

In saying that, the Cats four Flags all came via a win over the Pies in a final (2 x PF, QF and GF), and in 2020 we won a SF against them. Pies smashed Geelong in the 2010 QF en route to their flag though.
Interesting stat about 4 Geelong GF wins having involved a defeat of Collingwood at one stage in finals

I feel like Freo was and is a bit of a bogey team to Geelong, beat them in a couple of away finals and have a decent record at KP from 2013-2023 including 3 wins and another 2 losses by under a goal, as well as a good record vs them in Perth even when we were crap.

Freo could never beat Hawthorn when we were both contending, but I don't know if you would call that a bogey team as they were better than us.
You guys have actually beaten us 6 times in a row funnily enough. Longest active streak against our club. You might have struggled in our glory days but you certainly have our number ATM even away from Optus stadium.

In saying that, the Cats four Flags all came via a win over the Pies in a final (2 x PF, QF and GF), and in 2020 we won a SF against them. Pies smashed Geelong in the 2010 PF en route to their flag though.
1991 SF and 2000 EF to add to the games we have beat you guys in finals in recent history. Went on to win the flag obviously in 1991. Have had a good healthy rivalry with Geelong since long before 2008.

And Hawthorn were Richmond’s bogey team in the 70’s
Well we were a champion side in our own right TBF. Never played eachother in big finals though till 2018 which I find absolutely astounding. I remember there was quite a story leading up to that final in 2018 regarding that amazing bit of history.

Probably after Sydney's peak in the '05-06 era, but from the Rd 12 game in 2006, Collingwood won 12 in a row against Sydney, who under Roos couldn't lay a glove on the Pies in that time. But there was only one final in 2007 that was involved in that streak. Indeed a little like with Geelong and Richmond half a decade later, the Swan defeated the Pies in the 2012 PF to end the steak at 12, and then won the Flag against the Hawks. The Tigers ending the 13 game losing sequence against Geelong in the 2017 QF. That win ended a rather staggering 42 out of 50 wins by the Cats over the Tigers from the time Gary Sr joined the club in 1984. And yes, I know we've lost three finals to the Tigers in all their Flag years from 2017-2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood seamed to rain on richmond parade circa 2017-2019
Same can be said about cats 2009-2011 as the Pies won in 2010.
To be honest i think Collingwood will be the next big dynasty already won the flag in 2023 and potentally 2024.
I think we are coming into Pies times now and its a Pies dynasty for mine.
4-2 Richmond's way during those years

Going a fair way back here

But 60s and 70s when both Richmond and Carlton were very good , Tigers had a great record against the Blues - head to head , the whole lot

When Carlton and Hawthorn were both very good and joint tenants at Princess Park , the Blues had it all over the Hawks in those games at Princess Park and handed out some allmighty thrashings

Collingwood had issues with Geelong back when we won our 2010 flag. If it wasn't for them, most likely would have beaten anyone else in 2011 and gone back to back. I remember going to a game back then where they beat us by a huge margin.. like 60+ even though we had a good team.

I remember personally dreading playing Geelong back at that time
By the same token, even with the issues throughout 2010, Geelong were probably good enough to beat everyone except Collingwood. They lost the close QF to St Kilda but I'd have been confident in a rematch on GF day. But the Pies and their style were a bogey side through 2010...which then flipped a year later with a new coach.

It was an erratic rivalry. The Pies pushed us all the way in that 2007 PF, belted us in the 2008 H&A but then Geelong did the same in the 2009 PF. So it was all over the shop.

Not a Bogey team but a Bogey player, Jason Heatley Vs the 90s Kanagroos!!

Would absolutely towel us up every time we would play them

31 Goals 5 Behinds in 7 games. Next best was 18 Goals 9 Behinds vs Melb.

Short lived career but a memorable one for a kid supporting the roos in the 90s!!

Even in 2000 when he was struggling to get a game for the Saints. He came in against us and kicked 5 or 6

West Coast lost to The Hawks twice in 94 belted in both yet won the flag. Lost to The Crows too, as they did in 2018. Dockers got them twice in 2006 I believe?

Richmond's dynasty bogey was probably the Giants with the exception that they always beat them when it mattered most.

Giants beat Tigers 4x during the 17-20 seasons.

Crows also a tough opponent bar the 2017 GF.

Collingwood seamed to rain on richmond parade circa 2017-2019
Same can be said about cats 2009-2011 as the Pies won in 2010.
To be honest i think Collingwood will be the next big dynasty already won the flag in 2023 and potentally 2024.
I think we are coming into Pies times now and its a Pies dynasty for mine.
They had a brief spell where they got a couple of wins in a row (PF 2018, Round 2 2019), but were 2-4 against the Tiges over that stretch.

The Giants were were funnily enough the team that had the most success against Richmond. They were 4-4 across the 2017-2020 period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back