Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah in all seriousness, since the era of equalization really kicked in and took hold in 05-06, you've played in 4 GF's, not bad on paper but:

2010-2011 was a top side.

2018 got lucky with a top 4 finish from the easiest draw ever & caught Richmond with the flu in a Prelim, lost to an interstate side that never fired a shot since that year (lost to them twice that finals series actually).

2023 was a down year where once again you had the luck of drawing an interstate side on GF day.

Collingwood should get with the times and aim for dynasty's imo.
Oh, yet another interesting timeline.

'Only 4 Grand Finals'? That's four more than Carlton, and there aren't many teams who have played in more.

Geelong 6.
Sydney 6.
Hawthorn 5.

Any others?

And the cut off date two years after we played in two more consecutive Grand Finals.

Also unlucky not to play in Grand Finals in 2007, 2019, and 2022, with Preliminary Final margins of less than a kick.

Knot tying...

'Only 4 Grand Finals'? That's four more than Carlton, and there aren't many teams who have played in more.

Geelong 6.
Sydney 6.
Hawthorn 5.

Any others?

And the cut off date two years after we played in two more consecutive Grand Finals.

Also unlucky not to play in Grand Finals in 2007, 2019, and 2022, with Preliminary Final margins of less than a kick.

Knot tying...

Hard to answer really. Some people would consider it four GF’s and other people would consider it three Grand Finals since 2010. Was 2010 two Grand Final’s or technically one Grand Final?

Oh well, at least everyone moved on immediately after the 2023 Grand Final, and haven't thought about it since...

Isn't that right RPCB?

I remember posting on the Carlton board that I shrugged my shoulders a couple minutes after the 2023 Grand Final and got on with the rest of the weekend. Didn’t give it another thought. Lots of people were the same.

Geelong 6.
Sydney 6.
Hawthorn 5.

Any others?

Knot tying...

That's nice.

Geelong underwent a rebuild and won 3 flags, jagged 1 more with the top up method.
Hawthorn underwent a rebuild and won 4 flags.
Sydney enjoy the top-up method and won 2, they don't need to rebuild given their academy benefits.
Richmond underwent a rebuild and won 3.

Look, all I'm saying is the odds look better (you love odds) when you bow down to the unofficial rules of equalization in sport, you do your time down the bottom, collect high draft picks then win Premierships/Championships.

Collingwood have gotten away with avoiding the inevitable by some lucky F/S selections, but I suspect the jig is almost up.

Yes, of course you did...

You don’t need to believe it and I have no reason to lie to you either. As I’ve gotten older, I have become a lot less sensitive to rivals winning trophies. It’s all apart of sport.

We can just leave it at that.

That's nice.

Geelong underwent a rebuild and won 3 flags, jagged 1 more with the top up method.
Hawthorn underwent a rebuild and won 4 flags.
Sydney enjoy the top-up method and won 2, they don't need to rebuild given their academy benefits.
Richmond underwent a rebuild and won 3.

Look, all I'm saying is the odds look better (you love odds) when you bow down to the unofficial rules of equalization in sport, you do your time down the bottom, collect high draft picks then win Premierships/Championships.

Collingwood have gotten away with avoiding the inevitable by some lucky F/S selections, but I suspect the jig is almost up.
Really?

What about all the teams with failed rebuild after failed rebuild, who haven't won a flag?

Paul Roos said it right when he took over Melbourne - you build your best list each year, and put your best team on the park each week.

It really is a simple equation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really?

What about all the teams with failed rebuild after failed rebuild, who haven't won a flag?

Yes this is a valid question. A club of Collingwoods size should have no issue nailing a rebuild, you should back your club in to take a short-term risk for long-term success.

Paul Roos said it right when he took over Melbourne - you build your best list each year, and put your best team on the park each week.

It really is a simple equation.

Then Melbourne went and won a flag off the back of a bunch of players they obtained during their years at the bottom via early draft picks - poor example. They really should be a dynasty club but their coach might suck.

Roos was gifted COLA & academy benefits at Sydney, of course he wouldn't be familiar with the necessity and benefits of a rebuild. His 'moneyball' quote is cringe if you want to look it up, had no idea. Decent leader & game day coach though.

Ah yes that Round 8 game was really a defining point of both team's seasons...
8vvh6f.jpg

Yes this is a valid question. A club of Collingwoods size should have no issue nailing a rebuild, you should back your club in to take a short-term risk for long-term success.

Then Melbourne went and won a flag off the back of a bunch of players they obtained during their years at the bottom via early draft picks - poor example. They really should be a dynasty club but their coach might suck.

Roos was gifted COLA & academy benefits at Sydney, of course he wouldn't be familiar with the necessity and benefits of a rebuild. His 'moneyball' quote is cringe if you want to look it up, had no idea. Decent leader & game day coach though.
Nah.

Collingwood would prefer to continue to take to the field and expect to win every game they play.

Rebuilds are for minnows.

Nice to get all this advice on how to win a flag when we're still reigning premiers

Pie supporters really are in struggle street

2024, try it on for size, Carlton effectively 3 games clear

Powerhouse Pies, hilarious 😂

Struggling so much that “I don’t believe you when you said you got over Collingwood winning the flag immediately.”… okay here is the evidence a few minutes later…… “I don’t believe those were your real thoughts…. even though they are there as proof and they appear to be posted immediately after the game ended given the other posts that came before it.”

I hope Fadge isn’t a judge. 😂

Nah.

Collingwood would prefer to continue to take to the field and expect to win every game they play.

Rebuilds are for minnows.

You'll need one soon, so careful there.

Ageing list with uninspiring drafting the past few years, along with the AFL shaking up F/S & no doubt Free Agency next, it'll be harder to do it the Collingwood way for the next generation.

Interesting times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back