Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 2

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you please advise which years have been 'Premiership windows' for Collingwood since the turn of the century?

2007-2013
Underperformed with the list you had in 07,08,09 (didn't matter much anyway as Geelong/Saints were better), hence the succession plan put in for Mick. 2010-2012 was your peak, managed to win 1 flag.

2018-2023
Made the GF, PF, had 2 down years which saw Bucks sacked, then PF & Premiers.

Easy.

2007-2013
Underperformed with the list you had in 07,08,09 (didn't matter much anyway as Geelong/Saints were better), hence the succession plan put in for Mick. 2010-2012 was your peak, managed to win 1 flag.

2018-2023
Made the GF, PF, had 2 down years which saw Bucks sacked, then PF & Premiers.

Easy.
So we weren't in a flag window in 02/03?

All teams are contenders until they are not. Not all teams are genuine contenders. That word genuine has a meaning and when you add it to the word contender it changes the meaning of a sentence.
Who are the current genuine contenders for the 2024 flag - outside of Sydney?

IMHO, outside of Sydney, it is bloody wide open. Dogs are outside the 8 right now, but as of R19 I would still have them in any grouping of teams who are considered a "genuine contender" to Sydney.

Last year by rd19-20 there was a clear top4 that had emerged as "genuine contenders" to Collingwood, of which 2 (Port and Melbourne) were shown up as frauds once the finals were actually completed.

2022 similar, by Rd20 it was really looking like Geelong and people held out hope that Melbourne could challenge, but were shown up as frauds again.

So would be good to get your take on as at R19 who the genuine contenders are.... to understand what meaning you actually place on the word genuine.

Hindsight is usually a great way of identifying the real genuine contenders.

IMHO, outside of Sydney, it is bloody wide open. Dogs are outside the 8 right now, but as of R19 I would still have them in any grouping of teams who are considered a "genuine contender" to Sydney.

Last year by rd19-20 there was a clear top4 that had emerged as "genuine contenders" to Collingwood, of which 2 (Port and Melbourne) were shown up as frauds once the finals were actually completed.

2022 similar, by Rd20 it was really looking like Geelong and people held out hope that Melbourne could challenge, but were shown up as frauds again.

So would be good to get your take on as at R19 who the genuine contenders are.... to understand what meaning you actually place on the word genuine.

A very reasonable and rational way to view it.

However, it won't be supported by Carlton supporters.

Maybe it takes the experience in seeing your team regularly qualify for finals to truly be able to differentiate between which teams were contenders, and which were not?

We can comfortably say its not the Pies, I think that is the most relevant response to this thread

By the way, have you seen the clear rationale yet?

Who knows.

There's 2 games between 2nd & 12th.

The only club I'd say that are certain contenders is Sydney. In other years by this stage there's a group of 3-4 you can pick out but 2024 is pretty tight.

Made up the 5 game gap, plus some Doppelganger

13th, sure you didn't mean the Pies Fadge?

Boy oh boy, wowee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we weren't in a flag window in 02/03?
I dont think many would have had Pies 2002 and or 2018 teams as "geniune contenders" at R19-20 of their respective H&A season.

In 2002, Lions and Port were clear top2, Pies were a rising team having a good run but never considered legit.

In 2018, Pies hadn't won a final since 2012 and were what 6th or 7th at Rd20.

But a couple of strong finals series and almost pinched flags.

Is there a HIA process that needs to be followed in all circumstances, or isn't there?

'But there player who was involved in the head clash said he was right to go...'
Take it up with the AFL and the independent doctors. This is a disgraceful rant bordering on calling out medical professionals. It's not even trolling. Baby and bathwater sadfaced fit.

Richmond, West Coast and North Melbourne - well done to all of you for contending for the 2024 premiership!
Good news for you Pies are still in contention as a 100 to 1 outsider

As an experienced punter do you think the bookies have set the odds about right. Must be tempting with all those premiership players on the list?

Last edited:

Any team above 6 and Dogs are genuine contenders in my book as it is so close. Rest down to Saints are still in contention however improbable it might seem.

You say Demons were shown to be frauds but if melksham doesn’t do his knee in Rd 23 and Brayshaw doesn’t get concussed they probably play in a GF and Pies don’t. Can’t really predict things like this happening

I’m surprised Pies supporters are still showing up in this thread given their footy teams skill level is closer to North and Richmond than Carlton.

Carlton must be heavily avoiding premiership scrutiny. Up to round 20, sitting clear in 2nd spot , not 1 pies supporter with a mention of Carlton contending. 2nd favourite for the flag as well. Got no hope apparently. You're a strange lot.
MYbe open up a new thread for 2025 so you folk can start slapping each other's back in there whilst we keep an eye on the premiership race as we currently speak.
Now, where the fck are my drugs the pain is kicking right in . Hate this.....

Carlton must be heavily avoiding premiership scrutiny. Up to round 20, sitting clear in 2nd spot , not 1 pies supporter with a mention of Carlton contending. 2nd favourite for the flag as well. Got no hope apparently. You're a strange lot.
Poor little Carlton supporters not getting any validation from Collingwood supporters.

Boo hoo.

Poor little Carlton supporters not getting any validation from Collingwood supporters.

Boo hoo.
It's only collingwood supporters in here. My club and supporters have got into your head to a point that you have nothing positive to say now. It's actually a notch in the belt. Keep ignoring the obvious

Only one player on that list who hasn't won a premiership in the last 12 months.
From a historical point of view that is great but looking to the future it would suggest that a significant potion of your list are going to be Worse next year. Sounds like most of them are going again next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back