Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, of course. I forgot.

Carlton have the best key defender in the comp - that's why his opponents don't get free kicks.

And the best forwards - that's why Curnow and McKay get more free kicks than anyone.

And the best midfield.

Amazing to understand why they've only had one (lucky) finals appearance in the past decade...
You're making things up again mate.

This is gold.

Collingwood this century:
Premierships: 2
Grand Finals: 6
Preliminary Finals: 11

Carlton this century:
Premierships: LOL
Grand Finals: Yeah, right....
Preliminary Finals: Juan

Maybe 'good' tall forwards ain't all that?
That's just a sad troll mate, got nothing to do with now.

That's just a sad troll mate, got nothing to do with now.
It was very relevant in the context of the post I was responding to, where the poster alleged Collingwood hadn't had a 'good tall forward this century'.

Context. It's important.

Another poor accusation of a troll.

Suggest you take a closer look at some of your Carlton supporting brethren, and start calling them out...

This is gold.

Collingwood this century:
Premierships: 2
Grand Finals: 6
Preliminary Finals: 11

Carlton this century:
Premierships: LOL
Grand Finals: Yeah, right....
Preliminary Finals: Juan

Maybe 'good' tall forwards ain't all that?
Last 6+ decades

Carlton
8 Flags
6 GF loses
5 Spoons

Ples
3 Flags
11 GF loses, hahahaha
2 Spoons

What a powerhouse the Pies are

Last edited:
Aren't these the same sooky la la's who were squealing at their TV's that poor Ginni isn't being given the free's he deserves and that his 'technique' was just smart footy?

Now they're here sooking about Curnow, who's 10x the player ol' mate Ginnipig is got a few free's for clear scragging during the season

And if doing proper analysis would also remove finals where the umpires put the whistle away.
I was interested in this as it keeps getting brought up so I looked at the 2023 numbers.
  • There were 322 free kicks paid during the finals series which equates to an average of 35.78 free kicks per game.
  • There were 7,312 free kicks paid in the home and away season which equates to an average of 35.32 free kicks per game
Unfortunately, I don't have access to the type of free kicks paid and whether there was a shift in the distribution (i.e., was there more HTBs and less holds etc). This would be the best way to do the analysis we need but given the data we have access to for 2023 there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in 2023 (H+A vs Finals) in terms of raw free kick numbers.

It was very relevant in the context of the post I was responding to, where the poster alleged Collingwood hadn't had a 'good tall forward this century'.

Context. It's important.

Suggest you take a closer look at some of your Carlton supporting brethren, and start calling them out...

Funny thing is, when you disappear for a stint, there is very little trolling from both sets of supporters

But carry on

Back to the Pies have the best interstate record? bahahaha

Or are you able to discuss 2024?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Context. It's important.

Well they haven't lets face it, had a good gameplan last season with everyone buying in and all the big moments were by small to medium players in the GF, but seems like a few sides have improved and Pies are going backwards.

Firstly, when did I say I was an expert. Being willing to delve deeper into the numbers doesn't make you an expert in anything - it is just logical when building an argument based on those very numbers.
Logical to isolate and remove some games for one player, but then compare them to others without doing a similar adjustment?

LOL
Secondly, you are yet to state what exactly you disagree with in relation to my analysis of Curnow.
  • Averaged 5.5 free kicks per game in 2 matches against Collingwood
  • Averaged 1.17 free kicks per game in 24 matches against every other team.
Based on these numbers even the most anti-Curnow supporter could only say that Charlie gets favoured against Collingwood. The numbers simply do not back up the idea that this spreads to other teams given his free kick average in all other games would be outside of the top 75 in the AFL.
Your issue is that you think I am anti Curnow, i think he is a great player and the best key forward in the game at the moment.

The point is simply that Charlie and H have recevied more frees than any other key forwards since 2022.

Now I assume you are not this supporter but if you were basing that argument on raw numbers alone would be silly. You would need to show examples of incorrectly paid free kicks to Curnow against Collingwood.
You again miss the premise of the point.

ALL key forwards are scragged, held, pushed and have their arm chopped in most contests, and for the over whelming majority of contests the umpire doesnt bother to blow his whistle.

I am not saying that he gets incorrect frees, the point is that other key forwards dont get the same technically correct frees.

Rationale as to why from Carlton fans

The Carlton game plan of bombing it long draws more frees
Other key forwards initiate contact
Charlie takes lots of marks
H has a run in the ruck

Just lucky I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back