Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Be careful what you wish for...

You honestly think I'd last more than 6 seconds on there?
I think that would be the highlight of Aphrodite's year even if we won the premiership

banning super mario GIF

Logical to isolate and remove some games for one player, but then compare them to others without doing a similar adjustment?

LOL
All I did was breakdown the raw numbers to show that they were significantly inflated by two games against Darcy Moore. No where did I compare Curnow with any other key forward in the competition during that breakdown. If you find another player who has a similarly inflated average free kick count because of a single match-up then by all means I would be happy to do the comparison. Regardless, my point throughout has been raw free kick numbers are meaningless - using them to evaluate quality of umpiring/apparent bias is imo ridiculous.

Your issue is that you think I am anti Curnow, i think he is a great player and the best key forward in the game at the moment.

The point is simply that Charlie and H have recevied more frees than any other key forwards since 2022.
I never said you were anti-Curnow. In my last post I even go and say "I assume you are not (anti-Curnow)". And if all that was said in this thread was simply Charlie and Harry have more frees than I wouldn't have responded. But you know full well that you and your fellow supporters have used it as a basis of your argument that they get more "technical frees" than others. There is no evidence whatsoever to support this point - it is completely subjective. And so you are going to generate debate from something like that.

You again miss the premise of the point.

ALL key forwards are scragged, held, pushed and have their arm chopped in most contests, and for the over whelming majority of contests the umpire doesnt bother to blow his whistle.

I am not saying that he gets incorrect frees, the point is that other key forwards dont get the same technically correct frees.

Rationale as to why from Carlton fans

The Carlton game plan of bombing it long draws more frees
Other key forwards initiate contact
Charlie takes lots of marks
H has a run in the ruck

Just lucky I guess
All key forwards are held, pushed, arm chopped etc - this is true. However, there is no evidence to show that every player is EQUALLY held/chopped/pushed etc.

There are a probably hundreds of different factors that contribute to the way a defender defends a specific forward and it would vary across the competition from player to player. You cannot tell me that just because Player A has received more free kicks than Player B that is simply because the umpires pay them "more technical ones".

Last edited:
Think it's time to move on from trying to educate Carlton supporters about the differential treatment Charlie receives from umpires in comparison to other forwards.

I mean, have you ever been to a Carlton game and heard the crowd reaction to umpiring decisions/non decisions?

Not only have they had the worst run with injury compared to all other teams for the past decade, they also undisputedly get the worst run from the umpires.

It's true.

Last edited:
I mean, have you ever been to a Carlton game and heard the crowd reaction to umpiring decisions/non decisions?

Not only have they had the worst run with injury compared to all other teams for the past decade, they also undisputedly get the worst run from the umpires.
You cannot be serious. Every supporter base does this across every sporting code in the world. Have you ever been to a Collingwood game before?

You cannot be serious. Every supporter base does this across every sporting code in the world. Have you ever been to a Collingwood game before?
Not really the same for 'every' supporter base... Pies fans haven't been in attendance for the 2nd half of any of their 4th quarters this year

It was very relevant in the context of the post I was responding to, where the poster alleged Collingwood hadn't had a 'good tall forward this century'.

Context. It's important.

Another poor accusation of a troll.

Suggest you take a closer look at some of your Carlton supporting brethren, and start calling them out...

Getting very tiring, they lead us back to the past, we respond, then it's "WHATS THAT GOT TO DO WITH 2024..."

If you want to run that boring line, at least go back through the chain to find the "culprit"

In any case, 2024 is a new chapter, not a whole new book, the past is always relevant

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And still completely ignorant to the mistake that has been pointed out to him...

I also like how he used my template which had Flags, Grand Finals and Preliminary Finals and replaced Preliminary Finals with spoons.

It seems he honestly believes 'winning' a spoon is an achievement...

Think it's time to move on from trying to educate Carlton supporters about the differential treatment Charlie receives from umpires in comparison to other forwards.

It's true.
I find it quite ironic that Collingwood folk bring up free kicks for Carlton , and for the past 3 years, Collingwood have received the 2nd most free kicks. ##freekickcollingwoodperhaps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240401_092225_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240401_092225_Chrome.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 11

It's true.
Your coach was crying for half a year that a player deliberately trying to decapitate himself should be a free kick.

Your coach was crying for half a year that a player deliberately trying to decapitate himself should be a free kick.
Perfect case in point.

Regardless of whether Ginnivan is wearing a Collingwood jumper or Hawthorn jumper, it would be a very interesting exercise to get some videoclips of both Charlie and Jack, explain the rules of the game to a sports loving tourist who is unfamiliar with the game, and tell them to place in order the most obvious free kicks to the least obvious.

But umpires don't umpire different players differently...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back