Banter Who will be better in 2025, Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who will be better in 2025

• Carlton

• Collingwood

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Same could be said about us, but according to you lot we're in huge cap trouble despite booting 10 players this off season and having another 16 players out of contract next season?
One of the footy journalists was talking about your cap recently being the most top heavy in the league with the top 5 players taking up more cap space than any other teams.
So if you've got 16 players coming out of contract next year.... Yikes... Your list managers gonna be a busy boy.

One of the footy journalists was talking about your cap recently being the most top heavy in the league with the top 5 players taking up more cap space than any other teams.
So if you've got 16 players coming out of contract next year.... Yikes... Your list managers gonna be a busy boy.
Most of them are spuds I've been assured. Many times in fact, especially by Fudgey

Indeed.

The Pies only poach players that will make their list better.
Schultz????

hogans heroes hogan GIF

Never mentioned bullying - not sure what you're on about
Brother theres fun and theres not fun. A few Carlton people have had a whinge about Fadge and others "going too hard". Maybe they're right, their feelings are real. Mostly our blokes refuse to admit defeat which is annoying. Nit picking, childish misinterpretation, it's banter. Worm4 has copped it because he forgot Daics won a flag. I got a serve because I forgot SOS was in the Carlton TOTC (I think it was this thread).

One poster has got stuck into another about his indigenous identity and that's a zero fun subject. Like I say, feelings are real, but that's not banter.

You and yours don't have to denounce him or anything, it's not "gotcha". No proof it's even a Carlton person.

This Carmen wassname has pretty much shat the thread. Got a reaction, kept pushing the button. I don't have the time to bother with them, and all the dancing about "nah I didn't say anything, you misinterpreted" "oh the reason i hammered Southof the Yarra was i wanted clarification, its his fault" and that guff.

Shame, it's been a good thread mostly, a chance for the Blues to give a bit back.

It's been many a long year since you could...😉

Hope you enjoy being a mid to low table tram for the next decade.

You've had plenty of practice...
Still finished above ur mob of geriatrics though. Blues will be up and about next year while also having some quality youth coming through to build around for the future...All the while the Pies are going all in on their nursing home squad and they'll have to try rebuilding with no good picks until Tassie comes about :tearsofjoy:

Good luck to ya's

Still finished above ur bunch of geriatrics. Blues will be up and about next year with some quality youth coming through to build around for the future too while the Pies are all in on their nursing home strategy where they'll have to try rebuilding with no good pick until Tassie comes about
I'm still waiting to hear about all these teams that were detrimentally impacted by the inclusion of Gold Coast and GWS.

Were Carlton one of them? Does that explain their absence from finals for a decade soon after their inclusion?

We've got Pick 3 and 38 this year + the Camporeale twins, 3 NGA kids next year and Cody Walker the year after that. We don't need to take half a dozen kids this year.
So if you've lost 10 this year. Draft 2 or 3 then what? Fill up the list with 7 rookies and delisted players or mature VFL players?
What kind of plan is that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if you've lost 10 this year. Draft 2 or 3 then what? Fill up the list with 7 rookies and delisted players or mature VFL players?
What kind of plan is that?
We'll draft 4, we have an Irish young gun we've committed to, gotta upgrade 1-2 from the rookie list that need to be upgraded to the main list and then sign up a couple of DFA/rookies in the draft.

We'll draft 4, we have an Irish young gun we've committed to, gotta upgrade 1-2 from the rookie list that need to be upgraded to the main list and then sign up a couple of DFA/rookies in the draft.
The trap we fell into in 2017 was rating our list when we went close, and paying them like we won.

Has Carlton done this with their 2023 prelim list?

Have we done it with our flag side, paid them like they're going do it again?

Could be both. We've had enforced discipline in the wake of the 2021 blodbath, like an incompetent having their power of attorney taken away and slowly returned. Heh sure we splurged on Peryman but the Grundy money will come back in a tear or two.

The trap we fell into in 2017 was rating our list when we went close, and paying them like we won.

Has Carlton done this with their 2023 prelim list?

Have we done it with our flag side, paid them like they're going do it again?

Could be both. We've had enforced discipline in the wake of the 2021 blodbath, like an incompetent having their power of attorney taken away and slowly returned. Heh sure we splurged on Peryman but the Grundy money will come back in a tear or two.
I'd argue the club overrated or overestimated the 2023 prelim lists ability to stay on the park and perform consistently. If Martin, Cuningham, Marchbank etc could have ever stayed on the park for a whole year we'd have a pretty balanced list with little weaknesses... But that was an error by the list team going into 2024. All of them were extremely talented players, but keeping them on an extra year after was just banking on fools gold. 3 of the most injury prone players to ever grace an AFL field.

This off season I think the club is very aware of where we're at. A fit list is still good enough to compete with anyone, but the non needle shifters like Kennedy, Owies, Carroll, S.Durdin etc were essentially taking up valuable list spots on decent salaries that we could better spend elsewhere in future years.

Pies fans have every right to be excited by the Houston acquisition but I'm absolutely wrapped with what the Blues have done. Will help set us up for the next 10 years if we draft well and if some of the kids are high enough quality they should have no issue playing a role in 2025 as complimentary pieces to our senior core.

One of the more sensible off seasons from Carlton in recent memory imo.

I'd argue the club overrated or overestimated the 2023 prelim lists ability to stay on the park and perform consistently. If Martin, Cuningham, Marchbank etc could have ever stayed on the park for a whole year we'd have a pretty balanced list with little weaknesses... But that was an error by the list team going into 2024. All of them were extremely talented players, but keeping them on an extra year after was just banking on fools gold. 3 of the most injury prone players to ever grace an AFL field.

This off season I think the club is very aware of where we're at. A fit list is still good enough to compete with anyone, but the non needle shifters like Kennedy, Owies, Carroll, S.Durdin etc were essentially taking up valuable list spots on decent salaries that we could better spend elsewhere in future years.

Pies fans have every right to be excited by the Houston acquisition but I'm absolutely wrapped with what the Blues have done. Will help set us up for the next 10 years if we draft well and if some of the kids are high enough quality they should have no issue playing a role in 2025 as complimentary pieces to our senior core.

One of the more sensible off seasons from Carlton in recent memory imo.
My view is there isn't much wrong with you from a footy sense, its outside noise.

Fashions come and go (ruck, or no? Mad ball or structured balls?) and that part is uncertain.

Stuff like Kelly/Wright or that Matthirson bloke sink a club faster than an ACL.

I reckon Collingwood are clear favourites to finish higher than Carlton in 2025.

Why?

1. Houston is a great inclusion to the kicking game style Collingwood like to play - they now have two genuine elite kicks in kidGoat and Houston -which is a scary proposition to defend against.

2. People can laugh all they like but Membrey/Tomlinson are decent depth at worst.

Meanwhile - Carlton walked away from Houston - which was also a bit of a step away from Voss in my books.

All is not well in Carlton land - when a solid citizen who cost peanuts and played better football than most of the so called stars did all year - was pushed out. Yeah I like Kennedy and wish him well at the Doggies. couldn't care less about Owies - he cost Carlton finals two years in a row and crack under any pressure in big matches - when it matters - goodbye anddd good luck Matty.

for Carlton to do better a lot of things have to go right -especially on the injury front- hopefully the new head of fitness dept has a clue- - I guess he might as the first thing he said was Carlton;s fitness is good- but player's strength V Sydney and other top sides is away below par- looks like gym work is going to be pushed up the ladder of importance -- personally I 'd like to see a new crop pf draftees beefed up before thrown to the wolves and fail as is teh usual circumstance at Carlton.

Interesting to see Wright come over from Collingwood for a handover year from Cook - good luck to him he will likely ned it as I think Voss is in for a do or die year - just for starters- hence teh list managers looking at the draft more than trades - which I reckon is a bit of a call on what teh Club really thinks about carlton;s chances.

I mean you dont 'reach for a pick 3/4 and walk away from an elite kick ( something Carlton doesn't have in abundance) who wanted to come to teh Club....

simple arithmetic innit/

Good luck and best wishes to you all you clowns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Who will be better in 2025, Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Back