Who will be better in 2025 - Geelong or Hawthorn?

Who will be better in 2025?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks depth is lacking and untested, also KPF stocks are sub par until Dear's body matures.

Geelong's midfield without Oliver still weak + an extra year in the legs of Stanley, Danger, Blicavs, Duncan who are pretty close to cooked as is.
Depth?
🤣

Morrison, Maginness, Jiath, Breust, Gunston, Frost etc as experienced depth

Scaife, Lewis, Chol, Dear and Gunston as key position, Battle will likely get a go there, Sicily can, Weddle might/could.

De Koning hasn’t really been performing at all in 2024, could be a gun but not sure why he stagnated so hard, atleast with Day he is probably one of hawthorns most important players, Lewis and him are massive inclusions from the finals sides.

De Koning was very inconsistent in the first half of the year. Showed real quality at times then struggled badly at other times.

His last 5 weeks after being moved into the ruck mainly were a revelation. He looked a completely different player including destroying Meek in Geelong. Then he got injured and must've been physically not right to be left out of finals. He was on crutches at the B&F so presumably he had further surgery on his knee post season.

If he hadn't had that last 5 weeks I'd be worried. But the quality is so obvious he just has to turn into a good player. Plenty of talls have gone through a lull around 22-23 then come out as stars on the other side. His brother an obvious example.

Day's already a gun no doubt about that.

De Koning was very inconsistent in the first half of the year. Showed real quality at times then struggled badly at other times.

His last 5 weeks after being moved into the ruck mainly were a revelation. He looked a completely different player including destroying Meek in Geelong. Then he got injured and must've been physically not right to be left out of finals. He was on crutches at the B&F so presumably he had further surgery on his knee post season.

If he hadn't had that last 5 weeks I'd be worried. But the quality is so obvious he just has to turn into a good player. Plenty of talls have gone through a lull around 22-23 then come out as stars on the other side. His brother an obvious example.

Day's already a gun no doubt about that.
De Koning is going to be a good player just wonder where he ends up playing.

What substance do you have behind your thoughts of hawthorn going a step backwards, I’m curious 🙏

I don’t necessarily subscribe in this case to the theory but in a lot of sports when a team does what hawthorn did this year and sort of come from the clouds to surprise the rest of the comp and make a quick rise up the ladder, they suddenly don’t have that element of surprise, a lot more work goes into breaking them down, their players have an established reputation of their strengths and weaknesses, plus the pressure increases to replicate what they did. I think that’s what the theory is anyway, that’s not to say it’s going to happen, it’s just as likely that the trajectory keeps going

I don’t necessarily subscribe in this case to the theory but in a lot of sports when a team does what hawthorn did this year and sort of come from the clouds to surprise the rest of the comp and make a quick rise up the ladder, they suddenly don’t have that element of surprise, a lot more work goes into breaking them down, their players have an established reputation of their strengths and weaknesses, plus the pressure increases to replicate what they did. I think that’s what the theory is anyway, that’s not to say it’s going to happen, it’s just as likely that the trajectory keeps going
I definitely believe this has happened and will happen for clubs in all sporting codes. However it is interesting as sometimes you can surprise yourself, however the group belief was always that they’d be competing for the 8 prior to 2024, and after the 0-5 start it was a consistently high level form, rather than just patches.

I would say late in the year everyone would of been treating Hawthorn as they will in 2025, hunting the form team in the comp and figuring every players weaknesses and strengths out (to an extent) more of a team focus.

This group will galvanise and flourish in pressure, you could see it all season, the group mentality and vibe is such.

You go on and add two high quality players to weaker areas, who are also experienced, even if the kids stagnate the side would be around the same as last year. However there’s a lot of players with growth to come in 2025, hence why it’s a shallow uneducated comment for those who truly believe it more than just a theory.

But definitely think it’s an interesting perspective in the matter.

Played poker against Sam Mitchell.

Pulled his pants down and left him penniless.

How is this even a question?

He started crying when Kenny took it to Ginny (and rightfully so). "A much older man..."

Give me a break...
Can you give the keyboard back to Dad?

The thing with Hawthorn is the balance across the park.

Sides couldn’t stop all of Amon, Sicily, Weddle and Impey slingshotting off half back in 2024, and this will likely continue in 2025 when there will be the added dynamic of Battle and Barass added, allowing Sicily or Weddle to play up the ground, plus the return of Jiath.

Unlike some other sides pushing for finals there’s no reliance on 1 or 2 superstars to have the side rolling along.

Geeze these hawks are up and about after 1 season in the 8.

1 swallow doesnt make a summer.

2 Phones Chol and Mitch Lewis your key forwards.... Sheesh..

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be better in 2025 - Geelong or Hawthorn?

Back