Who will be chosen to replace Shaun Burgoyne as Vice Captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In 2009, we had...

Captain:
Dom Cassisi

Vice Captains: Kane Cornes, Shaun Burgoyne

With the departure of junior burger, I am assuming port is going to choose someone to replace him as vice captain, seeing as we've always more than one vice captain.

Travis Boak or Dean Brogan for me, wouldn't consider anyone else.

In 2009, we had...

Captain: Dom Cassisi

Vice Captains: Kane Cornes, Shaun Burgoyne

With the departure of junior burger, I am assuming port is going to choose someone to replace him as vice captain, seeing as we've always more than one vice captain.

Travis Boak or Dean Brogan for me, wouldn't consider anyone else.

+ Surjan, Carlile, Motlop.

Any of those 5 would be fine by me.

Divorcing Club politics from sport, it has to be Jacob Surjan.

This was very evident when I was in the rooms, pre and post game, this year. He lives and breathes Port Adelaide.

Yeah, Surjan and/or Brogan. That will give them a title at least, both along with Cassisi were top shelf in terms of vocal leadership (Brogan) and leading by example (Surjan) in 2009. We need the same from many more players, regardless of membership of the 'leadership group'.

Also, keep in mind that our pattern of selections of vice captains has been directed more towards veteran players, who will serve for a couple of seasons or so (Wilson, Lade, Chad?), rather than as a spur for younger players. So, Broges.

Divorcing Club politics from sport, it has to be Jacob Surjan.

This was very evident when I was in the rooms, pre and post game, this year. He lives and breathes Port Adelaide.

I was in the rooms too and agree, Surjan is fantastic. I also believe that Hartlett will be our leader one day. For such a young bloke, he was very vocal and measured in what he said.

But, to answer the question, I would choose Surjan.

The reason I didn't put in Surjan is because he only really stepped up from fringe player to a definite started in our team this season. In 2008 and earlier, he had to face aggressive calls for omission and claims of being a 'hack' almost weekly.

He lives and breathes the PAFC, however I'm not sure if he has the natural talent to be a consistent first team player for the next 7-8 years...

Don't get me wrong, I've been a massive fan of the guy this year and believe he should've been top 3 in our B&F, however I'd be cautious about giving him the actual vice captaincy role until he has shown he can cement a first team spot (without being considered for omission) for 2-3 seasons.

He's definitely a leader on-field and does the team-oriented thing which is of utmost importance, but I'm taking his longer term footballing abilities into consideration here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vice Captain should go Brogan would say Boak but don't need to put unneeded pressure on him. Give it to him in two years.

Is Surjan in the leadership group?

The reason I didn't put in Surjan is because he only really stepped up from fringe player to a definite started in our team this season. In 2008 and earlier, he had to face aggressive calls for omission and claims of being a 'hack' almost weekly.

He lives and breathes the PAFC, however I'm not sure if he has the natural talent to be a consistent first team player for the next 7-8 years...

Don't get me wrong, I've been a massive fan of the guy this year and believe he should've been top 3 in our B&F, however I'd be cautious about giving him the actual vice captaincy role until he has shown he can cement a first team spot (without being considered for omission) for 2-3 seasons.

He's definitely a leader on-field and does the team-oriented thing which is of utmost importance, but I'm taking his longer term footballing abilities into consideration here.

You mean a guy like shaun burgoyne with all the natural talent under the sun, who was our VC and left the Club ?? Not sure you thought this post out very well

I actually wouldn't mind chaplin getting a gig as vc. I think it'll suit him well.

Problem with chappy he is very much the talker and not the doer. Having said that, he must be highly thought of by the coaches given his B & F position. Compared to most poles & POTY votes, I didnt think he was on anyones radar.

You mean a guy like shaun burgoyne with all the natural talent under the sun, who was our VC and left the Club ?? Not sure you thought this post out very well

I thought it out very well.

In my previous post, I did talk about Surjan and how he lives and breathes the PAFC, something that SB quite clearly did not do in 2008 and 2009.

I also note that you did not refute any of the points that I made.

SB lacked the passion for port in his last couple of seasons, and also lacked the work ethic of someone like kane cornes.

Never did I say that only natural talent will get you the vice-captaincy - what I am saying is that it is a huge part in determining how long a career you will have, which in turn is necessary for a leadership role in my opinion.

^ i thought he made a good point?

the "natural talent to be a 7-8 year player" comment was a bit off handed i guess, but lets not split hairs.

Surjan could be good as vice captain, but i certainly agree with the point that he has barely cemented his spot in the team yet(by which i mean he has only done it this year), and giving him such a vice-captaincy so fast might be jumping the gun a little.

I would really love to see Chaplin as vice captain, but i wouldn't be dissapointed with Brogan.

Leadership group could be a good thing, but i guess we are too traditional(conservative) for that hahaha.

Pearce could be a smokey XD
... that was a joke :)

Problem with chappy he is very much the talker and not the doer. Having said that, he must be highly thought of by the coaches given his B & F position. Compared to most poles & POTY votes, I didnt think he was on anyones radar.

I suppose you have to look at the role the coaches give him. His BnF placement certainly suggests he's doing a lot right on-field and every time i've heard him in the media i've been impressed. I think he deserves it, but also I see him as the kind of person that would be better with the added responsibility.

This is all because of you now Lurk3r.

1. 2006 season rising star nominee (not sure b&F), good year for a developing 20/21 year old of the time playing his first season in defense I believe. 2007 very good season (=7th Best and fairest). 2008 a down year where harsh truths were handed out (=20th best and fairest), responds during the off-season and has a mammoth 2009, which should have been higher (=4th best and fairest). That's two top 10 best and fairest finishes in 3 seasons.

2. Being cautious about giving out captain roles? Perhaps you would do well to be in the change rooms pre and post game if you're given the opportunity to and look at who the motivators are. Whilst watching a game live change your focus to the game scenario and watch who the person is who organizes the defenders out on the field both physically and verbally. Let me give you a hint, he wears number 9. You can audibly hear him doing it.

3. What's natural talent? Being able to run really really fast like Usain Bolt, kick a goal from the 50 metre boundary line on the outside of your foot, spring from the floor in a contest to tackle your opponent and get a free kick from it? It's easy to overlook what Surj can do, given his main role is to beat his opponent. Given the opportunity to play a more creative role from next season with his improved disposal of this season, who knows what dormant natural ability he has.

Speaking of natural talent, Kane Cornes is one of the most non naturally gifted footballers you'll ever see other than possessing enormous aerobic capacity. He's a worse kick, a worse handball, a worse mark and a worse tackler than Surj yet he's played 184 games. Your logic doesn't compute.

4. Your I'm no longer taking his football abilities into account here comment. Well you just destroyed your own argument with that. Given the predicament our club finds itself in, we need strong characters and people of good moral fibre both on and off the field leading the team, as Dom has been this season. Surj finished in the top 5 of the best and fairest and is a great role model off the field. That smacks leadership material does it not?

5. We've zero depth behind Surj in the small defender department. I have no faith that we have anyone who can do what he does if he were to go out injured for a prolonged period of time. Without wanting to seem pedantic, I'd imagine he's one of the very first players picked week in week out. That's a cemented position.

I thought it out very well.

In my previous post, I did talk about Surjan and how he lives and breathes the PAFC, something that SB quite clearly did not do in 2008 and 2009.

I also note that you did not refute any of the points that I made.

SB lacked the passion for port in his last couple of seasons, and also lacked the work ethic of someone like kane cornes.

Never did I say that only natural talent will get you the vice-captaincy - what I am saying is that it is a huge part in determining how long a career you will have, which in turn is necessary for a leadership role in my opinion.
I've already pointed out rebuttals to this and relating a players career length on your on whim.

^ i thought he made a good point?

the "natural talent to be a 7-8 year player" comment was a bit off handed i guess, but lets not split hairs.

Surjan could be good as vice captain, but i certainly agree with the point that he has barely cemented his spot in the team yet(by which i mean he has only done it this year), and giving him such a vice-captaincy so fast might be jumping the gun a little.

I would really love to see Chaplin as vice captain, but i wouldn't be dissapointed with Brogan.

Leadership group could be a good thing, but i guess we are too traditional(conservative) for that hahaha.

Pearce could be a smokey XD
... that was a joke :)
Once more, easily discredited with my comments earlier about Surj only being a good player this season. Short memories from far to many. Steadily improving since 2006 with a down 2008. 2 top 10 best and fairest finishes in 3 seasons is a solid start for a 6 year player.

You've then gone on to proclaim Chaplin as being worthy of being vice captain. They were drafted in the same year and have played a similar amount of games. Why does that make one any more worthy than the other? Answer.. it doesn't. It comes down to which player you personally prefer.

This is all because of you now Lurk3r.

1. 2006 season rising star nominee (not sure b&F), good year for a developing 20/21 year old of the time playing his first season in defense I believe. 2007 very good season (=7th Best and fairest). 2008 a down year where harsh truths were handed out (=20th best and fairest), responds during the off-season and has a mammoth 2009, which should have been higher (=4th best and fairest). That's two top 10 best and fairest finishes in 3 seasons.

2. Being cautious about giving out captain roles? Perhaps you would do well to be in the change rooms pre and post game if you're given the opportunity to and look at who the motivators are. Whilst watching a game live change your focus to the game scenario and watch who the person is who organizes the defenders out on the field both physically and verbally. Let me give you a hint, he wears number 9. You can audibly hear him doing it.

3. What's natural talent? Being able to run really really fast like Usain Bolt, kick a goal from the 50 metre boundary line on the outside of your foot, spring from the floor in a contest to tackle your opponent and get a free kick from it? It's easy to overlook what Surj can do, given his main role is to beat his opponent. Given the opportunity to play a more creative role from next season with his improved disposal of this season, who knows what dormant natural ability he has.

Speaking of natural talent, Kane Cornes is one of the most non naturally gifted footballers you'll ever see other than possessing enormous aerobic capacity. He's a worse kick, a worse handball, a worse mark and a worse tackler than Surj yet he's played 184 games. Your logic doesn't compute.

4. Your I'm no longer taking his football abilities into account here comment. Well you just destroyed your own argument with that. Given the predicament our club finds itself in, we need strong characters and people of good moral fibre both on and off the field leading the team, as Dom has been this season. Surj finished in the top 5 of the best and fairest and is a great role model off the field. That smacks leadership material does it not?

5. We've zero depth behind Surj in the small defender department. I have no faith that we have anyone who can do what he does if he were to go out injured for a prolonged period of time. Without wanting to seem pedantic, I'd imagine he's one of the very first players picked week in week out. That's a cemented position.

#1 - Good points made here. However, I don't think you can look at a B&F placing in black and white. Look at Kane Cornes this season. Look at rodan this season, would you really say he has cemented his position in our team for the next 5 years? Fair points though regarding his yearly status.

#2 - Yes, I've already agreed with you, he gains major points here.

#3 - Natural talent are things that you don't lose easily, eg disposal skills would be the greatest example. These form the basis of a long career. Most players with long careers have great natural talent. Wanganeen - disposal. Tredrea - marking. Lade - tapping. These things are hard to lose as years progress.

#4 - Agreed, kane cornes doesn't have a lot of natural talent. What he does have is freakish work rate and consistency. He's in our starting 22, but I wouldn't say he one of our greatest footballers based on ability. No idea where you pulled the underlined part from though.

#5 - Agree with you regarding small defender depth. Also agree that he has cemented his spot, but it has only been as of this season as a 24 year old (you could say he was a relatively slow developer which doesn't work against him).

Essentially, it comes down to this:

Do you believe surjan is able to strongly cement his spot in our team for the next 6-7 seasons (which is how many he should have left)? Also, is 1 season of having cemented his spot in our team enough to be given the role?

I do not question his defending ability as of this year, nor do I question his ability to motivate and talk to his teammates on and off the field, nor do I question his love for our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be chosen to replace Shaun Burgoyne as Vice Captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back