Who will be chosen to replace Shaun Burgoyne as Vice Captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually wouldn't mind chaplin getting a gig as vc. I think it'll suit him well.

I suppose you have to look at the role the coaches give him. His BnF placement certainly suggests he's doing a lot right on-field and every time i've heard him in the media i've been impressed. I think he deserves it, but also I see him as the kind of person that would be better with the added responsibility.

I had never had issue with Chaplin until after the loss to NM this year in Round 22. Chaplin blamed the umpire for the loss.

It was the easy way out. I'd have prefered him to say something like-

"...we were disappointed wth the decision, but in the end I and the rest of the team made numerous mistakes throughout the match that cost us. To pin the result on one umpiring decision is unfair and probably doesn't take into account how much we, individually and as a team, need to improve before we can even think about blaming umpires for a loss."

They're the kinds of things I'd expect to hear from a potential Vice Captain.

Hmmmmm. Vice Captain - Daniel Motlop???

Not an obvious choice but a genuine leadership role could help this man stand a bit taller and elevate himself to Champion status. Just a thought.

I suppose you have to look at the role the coaches give him. His BnF placement certainly suggests he's doing a lot right on-field and every time i've heard him in the media i've been impressed. I think he deserves it, but also I see him as the kind of person that would be better with the added responsibility.

I agree with you Forza, Chappy is much maligned here and I was going to suggest his B & F finish shows he must to the team thing more often than not.

Hmmmmm. Vice Captain - Daniel Motlop???

Not an obvious choice but a genuine leadership role could help this man stand a bit taller and elevate himself to Champion status. Just a thought.

Cripps once said he rates Motlop as one of the most tactically astute players he's been involved with but really struggles with self-confidence.

Apparently after the miss against the Saints down in tassie it took nearly 12 months to get Motlop back to any genuine level of self-belief.

Essentially, it comes down to this:

Do you believe surjan is able to strongly cement his spot in our team for the next 6-7 seasons (which is how many he should have left)? Also, is 1 season of having cemented his spot in our team enough to be given the role?

I do not question his defending ability as of this year, nor do I question his ability to motivate and talk to his teammates on and off the field, nor do I question his love for our club.
As I said, he's cemented his spot in the side, as you're pointing to a poor 2008 after a good 2006, a very good 2007 and a very very good 2009.

Thus yes, I do see him around for at least another 6-7 years.

Once more, easily discredited with my comments earlier about Surj only being a good player this season. Short memories from far to many. Steadily improving since 2006 with a down 2008. 2 top 10 best and fairest finishes in 3 seasons is a solid start for a 6 year player.
I think you over rate top 10 bnf placings, remember that half of the starting 22 get them every year. I feel that Surjan only truly stepped up into our top 6 or so players this year, if you think he did in 2007 thats fair enough.
You've then gone on to proclaim Chaplin as being worthy of being vice captain. They were drafted in the same year and have played a similar amount of games. Why does that make one any more worthy than the other? Answer.. it doesn't. It comes down to which player you personally prefer.
Chaplin i feel is more important to the team than Surjan is, maybe you differ on that, fair enough.
Anyway what isn't fair enough is making comments that insinuate "i chose to ignore your post because it was stupid." It wasn't necessary or reasonable.

I think you over rate top 10 bnf placings, remember that half of the starting 22 get them every year. I feel that Surjan only truly stepped up into our top 6 or so players this year, if you think he did in 2007 thats fair enough.

Chaplin i feel is more important to the team than Surjan is, maybe you differ on that, fair enough.
Anyway what isn't fair enough is making comments that insinuate "i chose to ignore your post because it was stupid." It wasn't necessary or reasonable.
There's absolutely nothing factual about what either you or Power King posted, just your own musings. Thus the flaws in the opinion were glaringly obvious, which I drew attention to. I really didn't think I would need to write anything until Power King's 2nd post and your first.

And now, it's perfectly fine to proclaim Chappy as all this and that, yet the fact is, in their short Port Adelaide careers, Surj has achieved more than Chaplin yet you overlook that because it doesn't suit you? Come on.

As for best and fairest results, well you have some merit as I was stunned when Chaplin and Cornes finished 2nd and 3rd respectively. Neither performed at that level this season in my opinion. That said, as you've pointed you don't believe Surj's performance means much for past seasons despite being top 10 twice.

I believe Surj has more leadership qualities than Chaplin does and I would prefer a 3 man group of Dom, Brogan and Surjan.

What's glaringly obvious is the fickle nature of the crowd. Last year, Steven Salopek was a shoe in to be the next Port Adelaide captain. After one poor season, he was talked as being a tradable commodity.

And now, it's perfectly fine to proclaim Chappy as all this and that, yet the fact is, in their short Port Adelaide careers, Surj has achieved more than Chaplin yet you overlook that because it doesn't suit you? Come on.
what?
Who said i overlooked anything? I said i prefer chaplin because in my opinon him being injured would affect the team more so than Surjan being injured.
As for best and fairest results, well you have some merit as I was stunned when Chaplin and Cornes finished 2nd and 3rd respectively. Neither performed at that level this season in my opinion. That said, as you've pointed you don't believe Surj's performance means much for past seasons despite being top 10 twice.
I said he wasn't a top 5 player until this year, if you think a 7th and 20th placing in a BnF translates to top 5 player, i don't know what to say to you.
What's glaringly obvious is the fickle nature of the crowd. Last year, Steven Salopek was a shoe in to be the next Port Adelaide captain. After one poor season, he was talked as being a tradable commodity.
Did you just call me a fickle supporter? Wow.

what?
Who said i overlooked anything? I said i prefer chaplin because in my opinon him being injured would affect the team more so than Surjan being injured.

I said he wasn't a top 5 player until this year, if you think a 7th and 20th placing in a BnF translates to top 5 player, i don't know what to say to you.

Did you just call me a fickle supporter? Wow.
You just don't get it do you?

The Salopek comment is a brash generalization about the fickle nature of how 1 minute a player is loved and captain material, yet the next he is a tradable commodity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be chosen to replace Shaun Burgoyne as Vice Captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back