Who Will Captain Adelaide in 2007?

Remove this Banner Ad

Plea for Roo to stay as captain

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,20605849-21543,00.html

ANDREW CAPEL
October 19, 2006 12:15am
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
IRELAND-bound Graham Johncock has backed Mark Ricciuto to remain as Adelaide skipper next season.

While Ricciuto, who had an injury/illness plagued 2006, has indicated he is approaching next year as his last in the AFL, Johncock said he should abandon any thoughts of handing the captaincy over to a younger team-mate.
"Roo is a fantastic leader of the club," Johncock said. "He leads by example and I definitely don't think he should hand the captaincy over because he's just been so good for us."

Ricciuto, 31, already is Adelaide's longest-serving captain, having led the team for six years since replacing dual premiership skipper Mark Bickley in 2001.

It has been suggested that Ricciuto would be best served concentrating on getting his ageing body right for next season and supporting a younger long-term captain such as 2005 All-Australian full back Ben Rutten, who is a member of the leadership group.

But, at age 23, Rutten is probably a year away from being given that responsibility by coach Neil Craig.

Johncock also said:

BEN Hudson and Ivan Maric could carry the ruck workload left by the long-term knee injury to Rhett Biglands and retirement of Matthew Clarke. "They are good enough to do it," he said.

THE playing group was "still hurting" after its second consecutive preliminary final defeat. "It's two years in a row we've missed out now and that's something we're looking to rectify over the pre-season and next year," he said.

THE footballing wives saga involving Rachael McLeod and Mandy Edwards had not affected the players. "I don't think it has," he said. "That's just something the club's been dealing with."

The Crows yesterday announced its first and second-year players will start pre-season training on Thursday, November 16. The rest of the squad is due back on November 23.

Adelaide's pre-season training camp will be held at Strathalbyn from December 18-20 before the squad takes a two-week break, returning on January 4.

relapse said:
It definately wouldnt be goodwin not because he doesnt deserve it, but he is too old. No point Roo passing the captaincy onto someone who will only have it for a year or two.

The appointment of the next captain must come from the next group of players (Reilly, Rutton, Johncock, Thompson etc). It has to be someone who still has about five or more years left. We just need someone with genuine leadership qualities to stand out over the next 12 months to 2 years.

The honest truth I believe is it there it is waiting for Thompson, but (and this is a big but) he has to step up to the plate and prove to the club that he is a leader on and off the field and earn it.

:thumbsu: Agree with everything you've said there.

Definitely Roo as skipper for 2007, which hopefully is not the great man's final season.

I still think Thommo is a real chance to be our next captain if he can just elevate his game to the next level by improving his disposal and decision making, and use his natural agression in a positive way. The guy has only played 86 games, and I've got no doubt that he's still got improvement left in him.

SpringChoke said:
Rutten – Would be a dark day in our history if Rutten was made captain.

Disgraceful comment.

He may not be your first choice, and I can accept that, but a dark day in our history? That really is a ridiculous comment.

relapse said:
It definately wouldnt be goodwin not because he doesnt deserve it, but he is too old. No point Roo passing the captaincy onto someone who will only have it for a year or two.

I can't agree with that. There is nothing wrong with appointing the best man to the role, even if we know he may well only be in the role for two years. Why would that be a problem? It's better than giving it to someone younger who is a) not quite ready for it; and b) not the best person for the job. That wouldn't make any sense.

Thought the article in the Ragvertiser was very interesting.

Firstly, the timing - wonder if it was prompted by the questions asked in this thread?

Secondly, it would appear that Johncock was confirming that 2007 will probably be Roo's last year with the AFC. Maybe it wasn't just a throwaway line, to mollify Ben Hart, at the Club Champion dinner?

Seems the question has been well and truly answered - it will be Roo in 2007, but the field is wide open for 2008.

Vader said:
Thought the article in the Ragvertiser was very interesting.

Firstly, the timing - wonder if it was prompted by the questions asked in this thread?

Secondly, it would appear that Johncock was confirming that 2007 will probably be Roo's last year with the AFC. Maybe it wasn't just a throwaway line, to mollify Ben Hart, at the Club Champion dinner?

Seems the question has been well and truly answered - it will be Roo in 2007, but the field is wide open for 2008.

Has it or is just a party line that everyone is expected to follow.

As hard as it was accepting Ben Harts days at the Adelaide Football Club had come to an end, Mark Ricciuto may very well be in the same predicament in 12 months time if he cannot over come his hamstring and groin problems.

Would the club be in a position to offer him a contract? What if we have a poor season on the field and a major rebuilding exercise is put in place.

Privately Mark Ricciuto would most likely be thinking he has a few years left but publicly he is taking a party line of one year at a time. I cannot see 2007 being Mark Ricciuto last season with the AFC but you can not be certain about them things.

Regardless of whom the player is, the club is always bigger than the individual and difficult decisions have to be made.

**** said:
Disgraceful comment.

He may not be your first choice, and I can accept that, but a dark day in our history? That really is a ridiculous comment.

It was abit harsh I must admit. But that's how passionately I feel about the subject. Rutten would be a disatrous choice as captain IMO.

crows98 said:
Has it or is just a party line that everyone is expected to follow.

As hard as it was accepting Ben Harts days at the Adelaide Football Club had come to an end, Mark Ricciuto may very well be in the same predicament in 12 months time if he cannot over come his hamstring and groin problems.

Would the club be in a position to offer him a contract? What if we have a poor season on the field and a major rebuilding exercise is put in place.

Privately Mark Ricciuto would most likely be thinking he has a few years left but publicly he is taking a party line of one year at a time. I cannot see 2007 being Mark Ricciuto last season with the AFC but you can not be certain about them things.

Regardless of whom the player is, the club is always bigger than the individual and difficult decisions have to be made.

I would be neither surprised, nor disappointed if 2007 turns out to be Roo's last year as a player with the AFC. If he has another shocking year of injuries, like he did this year, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if he calls it a day without any need for intervention from the club.

Either way though, I'm almost certain he'll be Captain in 2007.

Vader said:
I would be neither surprised, nor disappointed if 2007 turns out to be Roo's last year as a player with the AFC. If he has another shocking year of injuries, like he did this year, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if he calls it a day without any need for intervention from the club.

Either way though, I'm almost certain he'll be Captain in 2007.

I will be extremely disappointed if next year is Mark Ricciuto last season as a player especially if he has a free run with injuries. His form this year was still very good and not a factor so if he retires after having a good run with injury, I will be pissed.

If he struggles and is consistently fighting the injuries off, then I will understand and accept it but not if he is injury free.

Just for the benefit of our interstate posters, Chris McDermott did a piece on exactly this subject in yesterday's Sunday Mail - no doubt inspired by this thread to write something in the wilderness which is the footy off-season!! :p

Good stuff, Bones!! :thumbsu:

He went through the usual suspects as we have.

He dismissed Rutten on the fairly valid basis that he should concentrate on his task at FB. Goody was dismissed on an age basis - again pretty valid.

Thommo got a passing mention as did Burton, who he peferred to be a free spirit.

Reilly was put forward as a serious candidate, which undoubtedly he is.

Like most of us he thought that van Berlo was the one that ticked all the boxes. He made no comment on whether he was too young though, just that he saw him as a genuine candidate with all the attributes, which he has.

And again like us, he really came to no conclusion ........ :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

macca23 said:
Just for the benefit of our interstate posters, Chris McDermott did a piece on exactly this subject in yesterday's Sunday Mail - no doubt inspired by this thread to write something in the wilderness which is the footy off-season!! :p

Good stuff, Bones!! :thumbsu:

He went through the usual suspects as we have.

He dismissed Rutten on the fairly valid basis that he should concentrate on his task at FB. Goody was dismissed on an age basis - again pretty valid.

Thommo got a passing mention as did Burton, who he peferred to be a free spirit.

Reilly was put forward as a serious candidate, which undoubtedly he is.

Like most of us he thought that van Berlo was the one that ticked all the boxes. He made no comment on whether he was too young though, just that he saw him as a genuine candidate with all the ttributes, which he has.

And again like us, he really came to no conclusion ........ :D
Yeah I read that.....

...quarter of the way through I thought to myself......"where have I read this before"........half way through it.....I fell asleep......:D

Mad Dog said:
Yeah I read that.....

...quarter of the way through I thought to myself......"where have I read this before"........half way through it.....I fell asleep......:D

Nods head... me to :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Who Will Captain Adelaide in 2007?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back