Who Will Draw The Biggest Crowd Round 1 2009 - Richmond V's Carlton or Hawthorn V's Geelong

Who Will Draw The Biggest Crowd Round 1

• Richmond V's Carlton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawthorn V's Geelong ( Grand Final Replay )

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

both will be great matches but i think if cousins plays a lot of neutral supporters will go to the game just to see him play and also the judd v cuz factor. if he doesn't tho - gf rematch

Carlton vs Richmond will be bigger. Supporters from both parties have such high hopes for this season and being rivals will draw a lot of fans. Judd vs Cousins is also a mouth watering battle that i would go to see by itself. I reckon it will be a great match, hopefully with a bit of biff in it.

Yes Hawks vs Geelong will be higher quality, but neither groups have as fierce passion as blues and tiges and smaller fan bases and I reckon Geelong have the wood over Hawthorn still and will give them a rolling.

So Blues vs Rich: 80,000+
Hawks vs Cats: 65,000 - 80,000

cats vs hawks will probably be a better game to watch....but i honestly think blues tigers will get a bigger crowd......so much interest will be generated with cousins vs judd....how will cousins play first game back etc....i think in the hype geelong vs hawthorn will draw a smaller crowd

The moment 'Big 4' gets mentioned, Hawk supporters start getting bent out of shape. Who'd have thought???

Cousins V Judd is going to be all over the media from now until April. Hawk and Cat supporters will justifiably be looking forward to their match, but the media will be all over the other game like a rash.

That will bring the bigger crowd for sure.

Carlton vs Richmond will be bigger. Supporters from both parties have such high hopes for this season and being rivals will draw a lot of fans. Judd vs Cousins is also a mouth watering battle that i would go to see by itself. I reckon it will be a great match, hopefully with a bit of biff in it.

Yes Hawks vs Geelong will be higher quality, but neither groups have as fierce passion as blues and tiges and smaller fan bases and I reckon Geelong have the wood over Hawthorn still and will give them a rolling.

So Blues vs Rich: 80,000+
Hawks vs Cats: 65,000 - 80,000

Where have you been the last 3 years?

The moment 'Big 4' gets mentioned, Hawk supporters start getting bent out of shape. Who'd have thought???

Cousins V Judd is going to be all over the media from now until April. Hawk and Cat supporters will justifiably be looking forward to their match, but the media will be all over the other game like a rash.

That will bring the bigger crowd for sure.

Even after just having won a premiership, the hawkers wont be able to draw a bigger crowd than 2 teams that finished last and second last, as recently as last year.

Last season the Hawks v Cats game was the most heavily pushed and most anticapated game of the season........they didnt play till round 17, + 1st vs 2nd and all that.

Carlton v Richmond pulled above 70k on both occasions after both finished in the bottom 2 the year before,and had been basket cases for quite a while.

Simple fact is Carlton & Richmond dont need neutrals to rock up.

Blues v Tigers 83,000

Cats v Hawks 64,000

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last season the Hawks v Cats game was the most heavily pushed and most anticapated game of the season........they didnt play till round 17, + 1st vs 2nd and all that.

Carlton v Richmond pulled above 70k on both occasions after both finished in the bottom 2 the year before,and had been basket cases for quite a while.

Maybe but the first game was the most over hyped debut of a footballer seen and the opening game of the season and the 2nd time you played was the well hyped "100g at the G" game and the only game in Melbourne on the day in a split round weekend.

Do you Carlton and Richmond fans truly think that there will be more neutrals wanting to watch Carlton v Richmond than Geelong v Hawthorn? There's a reason ours was the most attended GF in ages.

The reason your GF was the most attended in ages is because it was the first all Victorian GF in ages so it attracted a tonne of neutral supporters. I don't think many neutral supporters would go watch a GF replay. Tigers V Blues does not need neutral supporters to attend and will attract a large crowd of Tiger and Blues supporters.

The reason your GF was the most attended in ages is because it was the first all Victorian GF in ages so it attracted a tonne of neutral supporters. I don't think many neutral supporters would go watch a GF replay. Tigers V Blues does not need neutral supporters to attend and will attract a large crowd of Tiger and Blues supporters.

Nail. Head Hit. :thumbsu:

The purists, the people who really appreciate the game, and relish seeing the game played at its highest possible level, would prefer to watch Hawthorn/Geelong...and easily. The GF replay, the 2 clear best teams in the competition, two teams that match up well and usually produce an awesome spectacle.

The other option is Richmond/Carlton, the two worst-performed teams in modern history; both teams in the bottom 50% of clubs last year; in fact, the only real saving grace this game has is that it has the Cousins/Judd "showdown"...whatever that is meant to mean. This game has a gimmick though, and no doubt this will appeal to the masses and fans will flock to see this "showdown".

In answer to the OP though, Richmond/Carlton have collectively bigger fanbases than Hawthorn/Geelong, it is Round One, so you'd have to presume the Tigers/Carlton will draw the biggest crowd.

Carlton vs Richmond will pull at least 20,000 more people than Hawthorn vs Geelong. As a mutual spectator I couldn't care less about any game of AFL that Geelong is involved in.

So by that logic Carlton V Richmond (that game that pulled 72k and 73k respectively last year) will pull 106k, given Hawthorn-Geelong pulled 86k in the middle of winter last year?

Geelong and Hawthorn are probably the 5th and 6th most supported teams in Victoria, plus with the neutrals it's very likely we'll get at least 80,000. Plus on Friday night, as opposed to Thursday Night (work, school in the morning), it makes a lot of sense that we will get a bigger crowd than Carlton and Richmond.

Really, you don't think many neutral fans would like to go out on a Friday night to see two exciting teams battle it out in a rematch of the Grand Final?

The purists, the people who really appreciate the game, and relish seeing the game played at its highest possible level, would prefer to watch Hawthorn/Geelong...and easily. The GF replay, the 2 clear best teams in the competition, two teams that match up well and usually produce an awesome spectacle.

So clear cut that the Hawks lost to one of those bottom 50% teams.;)

Membership figures suggested otherwise :)
Ah yes, are pets allowed to games now? Will all your Tassie members come??, Oh and what about the Junior Riolis? Your club has so many different membership packages which cater for all needs, so many rich supporters (i.e. upperclass hawthorn) that you have more members than other clubs. We also cant deny that you combine the ticketed and non-ticketed can we:eek:, probably all out of Jeff kennetts insecurity of hawthorns inferior status to the big 4.

Why dont we draw attention to the fact that carlton and richmond have poor supporters and hence a bad supporter to member ratio?, the facts are both clubs out draw you in the regular season, and hence have more supporters:). At least Geelong accept this, you just have a chip on your shoulder....

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2008&t=R&h=A&s=T

...... waiting for the manipulation of statistics and piss poor excuses (i.e. we played collingwood twice when we only played them once, aurora stadium brings attendances down, etc.) We all know they are piss poor to the raw stats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who Will Draw The Biggest Crowd Round 1 2009 - Richmond V's Carlton or Hawthorn V's Geelong

Back