Preview Who will have a breakout year in 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mason Wood.

This kid will be a future star. Not only will he have a breakout season in 2015, but I reckon he might end up taking Aaron Black's spot in the side for North and will play as that third tall forward.

Mason Wood.

This kid will be a future star. Not only will he have a breakout season in 2015, but I reckon he might end up taking Aaron Black's spot in the side for North and will play as that third tall forward.
Hmmmmm, sounds like Hawthorn are after Black..... #knowinglookofdonttrustanyone :)

Thomas - breaks down in tears after missing his shot for goal after the siren in the grand final
HS1207019C.jpg

Luke McDonald.
Mason Wood.
Actually yeah, I reckon Higgins could do anything next year.

Shannon Grant II.

I think he will surprise a few of us here........
There are so many on our list now we've heavily invested in since the post Laidley era. Im just waiting for them to collectively click as the beasts we have hoped these years. And for that matter Scott has to take another step where he has to have faith in the system he has created where one soldier comes out due to injury or bad form and another is chapping at the bit to step right in. His slowly, calmly teaching approach needs to adjust to have a sharper edge to it now ala Ross Lyon come selection night all the way through to game day. Then resorting back to his calm collectively self the 1st half of the week again.

McMillan, will take Levi's spot in the midfield. Will show everyone why he is so highly rated internally.

Harper, will prove he can find the pill.

Ziebell, 30+ goals.

Turner, 20+ goals and 5 tackles per game.

Honestly, also think Swallow is primed for a huge year. Could see him winning the brownlow if we have similar winning form to last year.

Thats something I haven't considered when looking at our players..........someone from the back (running hbf) must come in and spend more time in the guts. Our depth is just really coming along just superbly its not funny.

Mason Wood.

Agree. Black is loved on here but he has been a bit disappointing for mine, especially his softness at the contest and awful goal kicking.

Think Wood can take that spot with his talents, and with a few key forward targets could be a dangerous player.

If Black can address the issues, with Wood stepping up as we (not you) hope, that is a dangerous forward line especially with quality smalls in Harvey buzzing around.

Agree. Black is loved on here but he has been a bit disappointing for mine, especially his softness at the contest and awful goal kicking.

Think Wood can take that spot with his talents, and with a few key forward targets could be a dangerous player.

If Black can address the issues, with Wood stepping up as we (not you) hope, that is a dangerous forward line especially with quality smalls in Harvey buzzing around.

Having a subluxed shoulder doesn't help in the hardness department.

Unless you're Jack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a subluxed shoulder doesn't help in the hardness department.

Unless you're Jack.

True. It didn't help. But I think needs to toughen up a bit full stop. Plays footy likes it's basketball too often and yep, tougher players get through it.

It might look great on a highlights reel with his agility - but he doesn't put in near enough for his body size and is almost irrelevant in terms of intimidation. He needs to impact more physically than he does injury or otherwise.

Looking at the list, there really is so much upside, could be a number of players breaking out, then again there is so much competition for spots. On the balance of probability to nominate just 1 player would have to be Joel Tippett, looked composed last year, has put on the bulk and wouldn't be surprised to see him starting chb. There is so much upside in the rest of the list, youngsters turner, mcdonald, and Brown, what could they do with a full preseason and hitting the weights room. Basti and Adams, coming off relatively quiet seasons. Clean bill of health for black and jmac, plus Garner is basically like having another first round draft pick with a couple of years experience and strength conditioning. Harper with his back to the wall, who knows what he could produce. Could Daw actually deliver on his X factor?? Mason Wood,....we got wood. Dumont, pre season shows he's improved his fitness, should have an impact.....Scotty Mac, shadow of his former self....then theres the 3 blokes Atley, Cunners, and Ziebell. If all those 3 step up another gear, we are right in a premiership window, age and experience suggests they are about to go nuts. Overall the list improves, dunno if we get any massive breakouts, a Brownlow would surely be a breakout, (cunners, jz, spitter, wellsy???)....add in Waite, and Higgins.....as big Kev once said ...."I'm Excited"

True. It didn't help. But I think needs to toughen up a bit full stop. Plays footy likes it's basketball too often and yep, tougher players get through it.

It might look great on a highlights reel with his agility - but he doesn't put in near enough for his body size and is almost irrelevant in terms of intimidation. He needs to impact more physically than he does injury or otherwise.

He doesn't have to be intimidatory.

He provides a great link between the wing and the forward line.

He did an absolute power of work in the EF that most people wouldn't give him credit for.

I'm hoping that Ziebell, Atley, McMillan and McDonald can all have breakout years in the midfield. Brown, Black and Wood in the forward line all bring it up to the next level and that Tippett, Hansen and Tarrant have breakout seasons in the back line. Secretly like a lot of North supporters I'm wanting Harper to shine again. Optimistic at best I know. The great and exciting thing about our list however is the strong feeling of depth, experience and quality mix of our youth and older players. We don't have the superstar presence of Carey but our list is as exciting as I've felt since the 90s.

Where we need to lift critically IMO is our coach. I'm a big Scott fan. Don't get me wrong. My mind keeps going back however to the prelim loss against the Swans. Painful memory and in truth I've kind of erased it from my memory haha. When I scratch beneath the surface of my denial however we were made to look slow and on the day completely outclassed and inept. I don't think we're any of those things. Yes the Swans had had the break and we had come off two immense final wins but we need a plan B and a plan C when things are going south. In saying that I reckon Scotty would have learnt a lot from the three finals and have real faith that he and his assistants will take it to the next level in 2015.

I'm very happy that I stumbled onto this thread - pardon the intrusion!

Jamie Macmillan - from an outsiders perspective seems to be one of those "under the radar types" who most would struggle to name if they saw them on the TV. He caught my eye the season before last with a few nice passages of play in the games I saw of the Kangas, but seemed to dissappear as you guys improved last season.

Obviously hear now that he was injured, but where does he sit in terms of your B22? Is he rated internally and externally by you guys? Reading above it seems there's certainly some love there. As I said before I doubt many other supporter groups would even know he existed and I'm just lucky to have caught a brief glimpse.

Good size, good skills and seemed to like a goal from the little I've seen. I think there's a lot to work with and for you guys to take that next step I can see someone like him as a catalyst.

Where does he fit in going forward? Does he stay as a defender (from what I have seen) or can you see him progress further upfield?

Last edited:

Jamie Macmillan - from an outsiders perspective seems to be one of those "under the radar types" who most would struggle to name if they saw them on the TV. He caught my eye the season before last with a few nice passages of play in the games I saw of the Kangas, but seemed to dissappear as you guys improved last season.

Obviously hear now that he was injured, but where does he sit in terms of your B22? Is he rated internally and externally by you guys? Reading above it seems there's certainly some love there. As I said before I doubt many other supporter groups would even know he existed and I'm just lucky to have caught a brief glimpse.

Good size, good skills and seemed to like a goal from the little I've seen. I think there's a lot to work with and for you guys to take that next step I can see someone like him as a catalyst.

Where does he fit in going forward?
You can start by offering your first rounder.

Where does he fit in going forward?

Rated very highly internally.

Some love him on here, some not so much.

Is seen as a leader and was missed for the time he was out.

Where does he fit in going forward? Does he stay as a defender (from what I have seen) or can you see him progress further upfield?

Nice post. It seems like he's highly rated internally. But on our forum he's a bit of a divisive figure. Some claim that he's not elite in any area (skills, speed, toughness) and is as dime a dosen as they come. Others think he can become a top level midfielder. I rate Jamie highly but I see him as the long term Michael Firrito replacement and I'd rather see Atley or McDonald move to the midfield. (Although having said that, some say firrito could have been a mid)

IMO he's a versatile defender ala Alan Toovey or Ben Stratton. To see him become a midfielder would be something of a surprise, but not impossible by any stretch. He adds a lot of stability and leadership to our back six atm so I don't see him moving out of there any time soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Who will have a breakout year in 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back