Who would you pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd go Conca over Darling because I think we need an inside mid more than we need a forward like Darling. Don't get me wrong Darling would be a good pickup, I'd prefer Conca. I hope we go for Mids with our first two picks.

I asked him about why we would pass up Darling. His then compared Darling to Rich in saying that there are concerns he wont develop much as opposed to other prospects, and that his junior form was only so good because he was bigger than everyone else.

That makes sense if you're talking top 10 draft picks with very high end potential, but at pick 20, and a possible key forward, surely you'd take the safe gamble on a kid who is ready to go? How many kids between 20-30 can play immediately and also make it long-term?

I know there might have been the odd "tool" we have looked at recently ... but generally there seems to be a pattern to our recruiting in terms of personality. Reading between the lines of various media reports ... it suggests to me that we might be one of those clubs who think Darling is not worth it. Would not surprise me one bit if he was there at 20 and we picked someone else.

It sounds like Darling is being compared to a Ryley Dunn type i.e. massive ego, matured body size, looked good amongst boys - no so amongst men?

I personally don't know if that's a fair call or not?

There's also alot of similarities to Kepler. Apart from the fact they both played for WP, they were both EXTREMELY highly touted at the age of 15 - 17, both dropped form at 18 and were overtaken in the draft hierachy at the ND and both showed reasonable WAFL league form as colts. It's fair to say that Kepler has been a disapointment on what he looked like being as a 17yo.

Actually, the more I think about it, perhaps Darling is'nt good value at pick 20 in a draft with a lot of depth.

But I totally trust our guys to make the right call.:thumbsu:

great comparison Scham between Bradley and Darling......Darling will have his moments in the AFL like Bradley has had his......Bradley just doesn't do it consistently enough....can see Darling going down the same road.......

interesting to see Menagola keeps getting listed at 188cm.....I've seen him play colts for EF, he must be the tallest 188cm footballer I've ever seen......to me Menagola has more upside to his game than Darling, once he grows into his body, not too many 194cm KP running 15.6 bleep tests these days.....stick him on a HFF or a wing till he bulks up, with that running capacity he could be quite productive......

Darling sounds too risky a prospect for us. If we had a couple of picks inside the top 30 then we might be able too afford that luxury but we don't. That's why I think he'll land at WC

Conca sounds like the ideal pick to me. The only negative being that he's managed by Coling Young:rolleyes:

If someone wanted a tall, then in my opinion Darling would be the safest option. Don't understand the suggestions that he would be too risky a choice, especially at 20. No draftee comes with zero risk (except Swallow), but Darling offers a hell of a lot more than most others.

As the article posted earlier today suggested, it would have been an odd year for Darling. He finished year 12 last year, knows he is going to be drafted and guys he has been playing with are already at the Gold Coast, so chances are he would have just been waiting for the year to be over. Once he gets drafted, I fully expect him to refocus and go to that next level. Would be the perfect foil for Anthony and Houghton.

No other tall will be in a position to have as big an impact as Darling in their first two years. Plus the depth in talls drops off a lot after Darling and Cook, the rest are very speculative.

No other tall will be in a position to have as big an impact as Darling in their first two years. Plus the depth in talls drops off a lot after Darling and Cook, the rest are very speculative.

If either.Cook or Darlig are there at 20 I'd be keen if not Conca, Prestia or another in a pretty decent list oif possibles, and hope that we can get one of Chalwell, Hamps or Menagola later.

With the draft all but on us I am eagerly devouring anything that looks like relevant information.
Like the rest of the posters on this board.
But one thing gets right up my craw.
Why can't the various publications give us accurate stats?
Why do some players shrink from one year to another?
Why isn't Conca 183cm, or 175cm?
as Freezin noted above, why is Menegola listed at 188 if he's something else?
Why can't the AFL and teams get simple height, weight, speed type factors right?
It's a hard life.

With the draft all but on us I am eagerly devouring anything that looks like relevant information.
Like the rest of the posters on this board.
But one thing gets right up my craw.
Why can't the various publications give us accurate stats?
Why do some players shrink from one year to another?
Why isn't Conca 183cm, or 175cm?
as Freezin noted above, why is Menegola listed at 188 if he's something else?
Why can't the AFL and teams get simple height, weight, speed type factors right?
It's a hard life.

because it keeps armchair recruiters like us guessing :p it's half the fun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would pick Conca because I think we need an inside, ball winning midfielder, but I don't think he will be there at 20 I think he will go to Richmond or Essendon.

Kevin Shean who was on 6pr had absolutely no clue whatsoever when commenting on who we were going to get with our first pick . He said that our first priority was Key Position Defenders :confused:... and then he listed off all the top Key Position Defender prospects in the draft.

After getting Faulks into the club already, I doubt that we will pick a Key Position Defender with their first pick.

If God traded blow jobs for draft picks, I would suck as hard as I could to get the pick that got J. Caddy.

Tbfh, I'd take one back door for this kid.

Swallow has the NAB in the bag, but Caddy will be 2nd in line.

I have been saying for a week and a half that Conca may go early

In 2010 Drafting Predictions Thread - 7th Nov

"I was talking to some colts players last night, one a good friend of Conca with Perth colts and they said the talk is that he will go before our 1st pick and probably in the top 10 at least".

If God traded blow jobs for draft picks, I would suck as hard as I could to get the pick that got J. Caddy.

Tbfh, I'd take one back door for this kid.

Swallow has the NAB in the bag, but Caddy will be 2nd in line.

I agree with most of that.

I agree that he's one of the best in the draft and only behind Swallow, Bennell and Day even though he won't be picked until 9 or 10, but I wouldn't give any blow jobs or take one back door! Whoever we get at 20 will be just fine thank you.

I'm still going to have a few bob on Caddy getting the rising star in 2011 though.

Emma Quayle's phantom draft has us taking Patrick McCarthy. Of the players we've been linked to Conca is at 6, Cripps at 14 and Darling does not feature in the first round.
20. FREMANTLE
PATRICK McCARTHY

Vital information: 18, from Glenelg. 196cm, 84kg. Athletic, composed key back who could pinch hit in the ruck.

The rationale: The Dockers' list is young and well-balanced. They can simply take the best option. McCarthy gives them a young key back to start grooming, and he could also end up playing forward.

Best-laid plans: The Dockers should grab Jamie Cripps here, if he's still available. Jack Darling is somewhere
in their plans and North Ballarat forward Lucas Cook is also a chance.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-future-is-in-their-hands-20101117-17xqp.html

Well Emma Quayle , The Age's resident draft expert , has us taking :

20. FREMANTLE
PATRICK McCARTHY

Vital information: 18, from Glenelg. 196cm, 84kg. Athletic, composed key back who could pinch hit in the ruck.
The rationale: The Dockers' list is young and well-balanced. They can simply take the best option. McCarthy gives them a young key back to start grooming, and he could also end up playing forward.
Best-laid plans: The Dockers should grab Jamie Cripps here, if he's still available. Jack Darling is somewhere
in their plans and North Ballarat forward Lucas Cook is also a chance.

She is a guru of a selecting the order in past drafts & if this bloke was to somehow fall to us then we got the steal of the draft.

Conca was at 6 to Richmond , Cripps to Adelaide at 14.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back