Who would you pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Of the 20 you mentioned earlier, I'd expect Jacobs, Pitt and one of Watson/Darling to be available come our pick. I wouldn't take Jacobs that high, while Watson would also be a reach. Pitt is around the mark, but I don't necessarily think we need another utility type.

So unless Darling does slide a bit, I think we'd be looking outside of the 'top 20' to a Conca, Andreoli, Smith, Newton or even Hamp.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/our-2010-afl-phantom-draft/story-e6frf9jf-1225955253264

20. FREMANTLE - BEN JACOBS
Midfielder/defender
186cm, 82kg, 9/1/92
Sandringham Dragons

21. SYDNEY - MATT WATSON
Defender
195cm, 101kg, 16/7/92
Calder Cannons

22. WESTERN BULLDOGS - MITCH WALLIS (FS)
Midfielder
185cm, 80kg, 24/10/92
Calder Cannons

23. GEELONG - PAT MCCARTHY
Defender
196cm, 84kg, 11/3/92
Glenelg

24. ST KILDA - JAYDEN PITT
Forward/midfielder
188cm, 70kg, 7/10/92
Geelong Falcons

Working for the HS Chris?

4pm?? That's crap! What's wrong with 10am or something more civilised like that??? Bloody Gold Coast, there's the bloody issue. Piss 'em off, who flipping needs 'em??? :mad:

For you! I'm on leave and the wife got a leave pass today, so I shall be listening, Wild Turkey in hand, while she looks after the offspring :D

i just heard rumours about who the chardonnays will pick up
pick 4 will be Stephen Dodd
next pick is Ryan Murphy
& their third pick will be Travis Johnstone.
Woosha is excited about the incoming talent.
haha
:D

For you! I'm on leave and the wife got a leave pass today, so I shall be listening, Wild Turkey in hand, while she looks after the offspring :D

Same Boat... Fox on Big Screen, computer 1 on SEN, Computer 2 on Big Footy Fremantle, iPhone on 3aw (tune in radio app...just keep in mind your downloads). Jentleman Jack on ice. Hopefully will have it covered! :thumbsu:

Our strategy will rest heavily on who we pick with our first pick I believe. I'd like to see us take best available with that pick, and make sure by the end of our draft we have a KPF, a KPB and a mid/half back. This would give us really good depth across the board, especially if we end up with Anthony. I like the look of Blayne Wilson as a value pick with 56, elite skills and a pure footballer, otherwise Sewell/Curnow would suit me fine as a late pick midfielder.

Something like:

20: Darling
44: Litherland
56: Wilson/Curnow/Sewell/Hibberd

20: Conca/Cripps/Parker/Hallahan
44: Litherland
56: Hamp

20: McCarthy/Tape
44: Young/Fasolo/Newton
56: Brown/Hamp

...would make me very happy.

wow last year i was counting down the days to the draft hoping we picked up Morabito and Aaron Black.

Now i got a life and the draft before i can even think about it, is today!!!

I just want Jack Darling!!

wow last year i was counting down the days to the draft hoping we picked up Morabito and Aaron Black.

Now i got a life and the draft before i can even think about it, the draft is today!!!

It might also be because we recruited so well in the off-season and finished much higher up the ladder that our picks don't need to have any hype surrounding it :D

It might also be because we recruited so well in the off-season and finished much higher up the ladder that our picks don't need to have any hype surrounding it :D

That and the fact we already have:

Replacement Fullback
Backup Ruckmen
Next Micheal Barlow
Replacement Fullforward (JA)

all sewn up already! I dont have to worry about today at all. How things have changed!!! I think this is called trust????

Yeah, I just assume that whoever we get at pick 20 (and beyond) will be the right pick, so I'm not going to be bitch and moan about our picks no matter who they are. Hasn't been the case with that other moron who used to be in charge of our drafting.

I wonder if other clubs hear that we rate someone like Conca or Cripps very highly, so they reassess what they think about them? Especially if someone like Conca goes up to #6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Darling makes it past Melbourne he's ours IMO.

Carlton won't take him after the Fev fiasco. Gold Coast don't want him. Hawks don't need him. Geelong need speed and will go Smith. North are a chance.

Melbourne are probably very keen on Darling due to his physical presence in the forward line, something they lack (think Watts/Jurrah).

If Darling makes it past Melbourne he's ours IMO.

Carlton won't take him after the Fev fiasco. Gold Coast don't want him. Hawks don't need him. Geelong need speed and will go Smith. North are a chance.

Melbourne are probably very keen on Darling due to his physical presence in the forward line, something they lack (think Watts/Jurrah).

Would be surprised if you guys took Darling. Since you have already committed to Anthony, where is he going to play? For West Perth most likely. It just feels like stock piling when your window is opening and there will be other players who can better help you now.

If we were going to pass on Darling (which I wouldn't) picking up McCarthy would be a more than acceptable alternative. Ben Jacobs wouldn't be too bad for us either, he is essentially a ball winning version of Suban.

I also like the fact that we are being linked with Cripps. If he makes it past Adelaide, then I think we'll take him regardless of who else is available.

Also, do you Richmond might have jumped the gun a bit?

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2010nationaldraftnews/tabid/15501/default.aspx

The club is extremely excited to have Reece at the club and feel he will add to our ever growing band of quality midfielders as well as having significant impact on the group off the field with his strong leadership qualities.

With Conca going at 6, it means there will be sliders. The big one will probably be Heppell, who could end up dropping down to Melbourne or Adelaide. Which means we should be a huge chance for either Darling or Cripps, as they would appear to be our main competition for those players.

As I have previously said, I am not somebody who's seen enough of these young blokes playing to have any sort of authority whatsoever. But one of the highlights clips that I really liked was Kieran Butcher. I've seen that a couple of good judges have put a good word in for him and Chris, I believe you might have made mention of him a few times. Paul Daffey didn't even include him in his phantom draft (which I know is far from the be all and end all) but from what I've seen and heard, he might be a nice pickup with one of our last few picks.

One of the picks I will be anticipating most keenly will be pick 70 though. If Carlton pass, I'd love to be a fly on the wall of whatever room Chris Bond is in.

Pick 20 is such a raffle and will totally depend on who is left. I'd say our guys would have a list of 6 or 7 targets for pick 20.

I'd go something like this;

Pick 20
Conca - mid (unlikely???)
Prestia - mid (unlikely???)
Darling - KF
McCarthy - KP
Parker - mid
Jacobs - mid

---------------------------------------
Next 2 picks, from;
Karnezis - ute/KP
Green - mid
Chalwell - KP
Browne - ute/defender
Johnson - KP
Monaco - KP
Hamp - KP
Menegola - KP
Mullett - mid/flank
Batchelor - defender/ute

----------------------------------------
ROOKIE:
Ruffles
Butcher - mid
Schofield - mid/tagger
O'Dwyer - flank
Grover - mid
Phillips - flank
Schiller - mid
Curley - flank
Jones - ruck

Daffy had this to say when asked after his draft if Butcher was a chance...

No, I don't think Kieran is one anyone's radar. I know he was WA captain in the under-18 championships, but he failed to impress.

I agree, in that I wouldn't take him in the national draft. But he is a very solid rookie option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back