Who would you rate as the strongest premiership side in the AFL era?

Which premiership team would you rate as the strongest of the AFL era?

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Hawthorn 1991

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • West Coast 92-94

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Essendon 1993

• Carlton 1995

Votes: 26 4.1%
  • North 96-99

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Adelaide 97-98

• Essendon 2000

Votes: 83 13.1%
  • Brisbane 2001-2003

Votes: 206 32.4%
  • Port 2004

• Sydney 2005

• West Coast 2006

• Geelong 2007-2011

Votes: 101 15.9%
  • Hawthorn 2008

• Collingwood 2010

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Sydney 2012

• Hawthorn 2013-2015

Votes: 103 16.2%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • Richmond 2017

Votes: 33 5.2%
  • West Coast 2018

Votes: 11 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I voted Geelong having not really seen any of Brisbane's three-peat.

The competition was just so damn strong in the top tier during that time that it was a stupid hard fight to both make finals and then get up on the day.

I put the 1991 Hawks as first.

The team was stacked with stars. They beat the WA State team of the WC Eagles. The 1991 grand final is so underrated as a demonstration of elite football. But of course a lot of those Hawthorn players were close to retirement, so they are hard to score.

Otherwise, my order would be:

3 Peat Lions (lost 1)
3 Peat Hawks (lost 1)
91-94 West Coast
1990's North Melbourne
Cats of 07-11
Essendon 2000
Carlton 95
Richmond 2017
Port Adelaide of 2004
Adelaide 97-98
Collingwood 2010

Last edited:
Geelong or Brisbane. Hawthorn got lucky playing 3 non Vic teams each grand final.

I'd say Geelong even though they never won consecutive flags

Hawks actually played 5 Grand Finals. We lost one to Syndey, one of 4 in a row. We also beat a Vic team in their Prime in Geelong. So 4/5.

Whereas Geelong beat 1 interstate, beat 2 Vic teams, and lost one to a Vic team (us).

Not really much to hang your hat on there to support your argument.

Last edited:
Did it get really weak or really strong in 2018?

Assuming the metric of Tigers as the centre of the universe then emphatically it was not as strong in 2018 with the natural order of things not quite aligned...

Hawks actually played 5 Grand Finals. We lost one to Syndey, one of 4 in a row. We also beat a Vic team in their Prime in Geelong. So 4/5.

Whereas Geelong beat 1 interstate, beat 2 Vic teams, and lost one to a Vic team (us).

The only team you actually beat in a Grand Final who were a top echelon side was Geelong in 08..
Stkilda of 09 and Collingwood of 11 were elite

Always wondered why the Blues didn't kick on considering their dominance (wasn't a coherent human being at the time). They were smashed twice in finals in '96 by the Eagles and Bears and missed finals altogether in '97 and '98. Injuries? Player departures? Other teams just got better?
I'd say a combination of all of the above mate. That and their window just closed. The thing is, they came from nowhere in 1999 and made the Granny from 6th spot knocking off the mighty Bombers in that historic prelim. Not only that, they backed it up the very next season with a very strong showing. They played the Bombers in a top of the table Friday night clash at the G and were with them for 3 qtrs before being overrun in the last. They had some significant injuries that game, the Blues finished 2nd on the ladder at the end of the season. Made the semis in 2001 knocking off the reigning champs Essendon again early on in the season missing a host of stars.

1992 they looked a decent side but missed the 6 losing their last couple of games.
1993 - Runners up
1994 - 2nd on the ladder and exit in straight sets, lost their last home and away game to the eliminated Essendon which cost them top spot.

Before 1995 they were around the mark and dropped off as you said. Probably a case of the old guard retiring and running out of legs like Sticks and Williams and the new guard coming in. It does happen though. West Coast had good runs in 2011 and 2012 then missed finals in 2013 and 2014. Granny in 2015, 1st and 2nd round exits in 2016 and 2017 and Premiers this year. Adelaide Crows another example.

They were worthy of at least another flag you'd feel though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fool doesn't realise he's potting his own club with this comment. I bet he's still smarting over 2015.

Depends on the question.

Best team: the three peat teams, Brisbane and Hawthorn. As we saw this year, so hard to go back to back let alone twice.

Most dominant season: Essendon 2000 and Geelong 2007. Both seemed unbeatable.

No point talking about 'eras' or 'threepeats'. Each side had some different players from one year to the next. OP is asking for the strongest premiership side -hence the strongest single premiership side. I hate to say it, but it has to be Essendon of 2000. Only lost one game for the season -and that was only due to the extreme flooding by Terry Wallace.

Put it this way - would the voteless ‘10 Pies beat the Dogs? How about the 1 vote ‘95 Blues?

I’d think both above would go in absolute raging favs. Complete locks.

Just like WCE in the elim
Just like Tas in the semi
Just like GWS in the PF
Just like Syd in the GF

Definitely the Lions. Had the mix of skills and brutality just right, and timed the run beautifully in each of the years.

Also wondering when the North invasion starts asking 'what about us?' like every other thread like this.:D

Yeah Geelong 2007 belted two sides by over 100 points, but the Dogs scraping home in their final two finals must be better...

To suggest wins over those two Sydney side under the circunstances in which they occcurred was ‘scraping home’ is nothing short of embarrassing

Are you 12

To suggest wins over those two Sydney side under the circunstances in which they occcurred was ‘scraping home’ is nothing short of embarrassing

Are you 12
Nope, I have a memory that spans further than three years and bullshit AFL manufactured fairytales

Depends on the question.

Best team: the three peat teams, Brisbane and Hawthorn. As we saw this year, so hard to go back to back let alone twice.

Most dominant season: Essendon 2000 and Geelong 2007. Both seemed unbeatable.

It was easier for brisbane to go back to back. I doubt they would've been able to win the same amount of flags without going b2b. They were done by 2005. Hawthorn would not have done it either, their b2b's are very circumstantial. Geelong, Collingwood, St Kilda all crashed in 2012. Hawthorn were always the 4th best team (had been since 2007). And the next best sides were all interstate. So they naturally capitalized. Geelong had to play in killer finals against killer teams. Brisbane had to travel and player some decent sides at their home.

It's unprecedented to dominate the competition for over 100 games. It's a dynasty. Most teams only last 20-30 games. Even Hawthorn and Brisbanes 60 games of dominance is in the top 3 echelon of the comps history.

As a single season you can't go past Essendon 2000. As an era I'd go for Geelong over Brisbane, that Brisbane team was amazing but there wasn't as much competition.
Tristan Walker, Matthew Lokan, Ben Kinnear and Richard Cole beg to differ thank you very much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you rate as the strongest premiership side in the AFL era?

Back