who would you rather be today? Malthouse or Leppsitch?

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just wondering if you had to be either of these guys today who would you rather be? Both clubs at there lowest point in a long time.

Malthouse. More to play with. Leppitch is currently dealing with a mass youth exodus at the end of last year which drastically reduces room for improvement. Brisbane have been gutted. They've got some guns but there's not a lot coming through. Throw in injuries and suspensions and he doesn't have a whole lot to play with.

Leppitch - hes younger
Ironically, Malthouse for this reason!
Malthouse is closer to retirement age, so if this is his last ever coaching gig, it won't matter as much. He's already coached premierships at other clubs
Lepptich is a newer coach at a club who had lower expectations to start with, so deserves time, but if Brisbane don't, then I don't see him getting a gig elsewhere

Leppa.

12 months time he could have a midfield of Rockliff, Redden, Rich, Hanley, Mayes, Zorko, Aish etc, plus Leueny, plus some ok defenders who are getting a lot of experience right now and this year is the tall players draft by all reports. Find a key forward with their more than likely top 5 pick (their recruiting and development has been reasonably solid of late) and they are on their way. They remind me a bit of Port a few years back and right now is their Primus time, as long as they hold together long enough they could come out the other side looking very good.

The asterisk of course is if the club gets so bad they run out of fans and money this year and have to strip back the footy department and also the players lose all confidence.

Either way unless things are historically bad this year (and injuries are hurting them) then Leppa can afford a bad year this year and probably another pretty bad one next year then be on the way to sustained good teams.

Depends. At least we got a big injection of youth last year alone with Aish, Taylor, Robertson, Cutler and Gardiner who all seem to surprisingly be coming along well, which is odd because we usually find a way to screw it up, maybe we learnt our lessons. Fingers crossed I guess. And our core of elite players, Rockliff, Redden, Rich, Leuenberger, Hanley are young enough to be still around in 5-7 years time and playing just as good as ever.

Carlton do have the resources though....

I'd say Leppitch. I like Brisbanes list a lot more than I like Carltons they only have a handful of holes to fill and some depth issues but they could have one good off season and be pushing finals again. Cartlon have been stagnating since 2011 and have made very little attempt to fix the issues with their list. They haven't tried to trade for any kpf which they have needed since Fev got given the boot, they let their best forward go last year to chase a guy who hasn't looked his best since 2011. I believe Carlton will need to go into full rebuild mode play their kids and take note of the progress of the Bulldogs and Saints who keep impressing despite doubters.

Leppitch. At least the majority of Queensland doesn't give a shit about football.

Malthouse coaches one of the biggest clubs with the most feral supporters in a footy mad state. His team has already gone through one of the worst rebuilds in football history and it looks set to repeat itself. Looking like a Malcolm Blight 2.0 appointment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Malthouse. I'd rather be grey than ginger.

Seriously though I'd rather be Leppitsch. His list is in far better shape than Carlton's and there's no pressure on him yet. Also, several people have mentioned that Mick already has 3 flags under his belt as a coach. Well Leppa has three under his belt as a player, compared to Mick's one. I'd rather premierships as a player than as a coach.

Would rather be in Leppitsch's position, he's just taken over a club down and out and will have a few years to build it back up.

Maulthouse was expected to take Carlton back into the finals and win a premiership (Carlton wanted 2 in 5 years), now they are looking at a list rebuild soon and at Mick's age he might not be the best man to do it

Brisbane weren't just expected to lose its first four games; it was barely given a chance in three of them. Few people were expecting anything more than bottom six for Brisbane this year, especially after the preseason games. People were probably expecting the Lions to lose by 60-70 or so yesterday; they lost by 100+. It really doesn't matter, in the grand scheme of things.

If the Lions manage to beat Richmond at home next week (I wouldn't rule it out), it's probably par for where most would have expected the club to be after Round 5. He's at the start of his career, his team currently isn't up to it, he's got a bunch of young talented players that will be given time and I don't think people are blaming him for any of this. He's got 12 months, minimum, I would have thought.

For Malthouse, this is potentially career-tarnishing stuff. It's one thing to go out with a whimper with the club that you have been the legendary coach of, like Sheedy and Matthews did as coaches; quite another to move to a new club and preside over a disaster from start to finish, like Pagan. Fairly or not, if Malthouse can't fix this, it's nowhere near as easy to gloss over as Sheedy and Matthews' last years at Essendon and Brisbane.

Right, so because I'm a Carlton fan it means I have to recognise that the worst team in the league has nearly hard a dozen elite players. You do know the definition of elite don't you?
Because Carlton are so much better?

And it would be nice if 3/5 of them weren't injured at the moment...

Good question, as you wouldn't want to be either of them. Carlton are in need of a rebuild - and Brisbane have had theirs ripped away from them.

I would imagine there is a bit more public patience being allowed for Leppitsch. I would have more faith in Brisbane's recruiting aswell, Carlton's drafting is a bit obscure sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

who would you rather be today? Malthouse or Leppsitch?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back