WHY ARE COLLINGWOOD APPARENTLY PLAYING HARDBALL WITH BRODY GRUNDY'S NEW CONTRACT?

Remove this Banner Ad

I want Grundy to be a one-club player but is there any truth in argument that rucks are a bit over-valued? Grundy played the game of his life yesterday but we still lost. For all his dominance, we lose the clearances count most weeks. Similarly, Gawn has often put in amazing performances in Dees' defeats over recent years.

To put it another way, how many premiership winning teams in the past 20 years have had a superstar ruckman? West Coast's victory last year without Natanui is but one example of teams getting it done with a makeshift ruck division.

So, if he really wants to go back to Adelaide and we can get say two top ten picks for him........

Yes I've thought along these lines as well. Nankervis at Richmond is hardly a star but plays his role. The real difference makers in grand finals is star forwards. WCE had Kennedy / Darling and Richmond Riewoldt / Lynch. Our only KPF is Mihocek and he's basically a 3rd tall.

But I would realistically only ever trade Grundy for at least a high level talent currently playing AFL plus a top 10 pick you might consider it. For example, if you could somehow get Ben King out of the suns who I think will be a star, plus another gun as a top 10 pick (KPD or midfielder) then its worth considering.

You never say never.

Apparently Brodie's manager has taken Grundy hostage in the clock tower at Olympic Park Oval and is demanding we trade Elliot to Hawthorn, Moore to Footscray and appoint mumbles Harvey as coach of Adelaide before he will even consider releasing his hostage!

We cannot afford to give Grundy 7 years at 850k per year.
Our salary cap is very tight .We have a lot of players to re sign namely the big 3 Grundy De goey and Moore.Plus a few others.
To be fair he should be offered a 4-5 year deal on top of next year that is more than fair.
Yes Brodie is a great ruckman but like Sam Mitchell said on 7 footy show no use getting 72 hitouts if you dont use the hitouts effevtively to our midfield.
For alot of that game against GWS Grundy was tapping the ball to the ground to no one instaed of smashing it 20 or 30 metres out of the congestion which saw many GWS players around the ball.Its called talking to each other once the moidfield and grundy spoke together we all saw what happened but as usuala ll to little to late.Gee its stressful barracking Collingwood !

who knows, they'll prob announce that he's re-signed at the club BnF and keep the media circling until then and us all worried.

Apparently Brodie's manager has taken Grundy hostage in the clock tower at Olympic Park Oval and is demanding we trade Elliot to Hawthorn, Moore to Footscray and appoint mumbles Harvey as coach of Adelaide before he will even consider releasing his hostage!

NOOOOOO!

Our salary cap is very tight .We have a lot of players to re sign namely the big 3 Grundy De goey and Moore.Plus a few others.
To be fair he should be offered a 4-5 year deal on top of next year that is more than fair.
Yes Brodie is a great ruckman but like Sam Mitchell said on 7 footy show no use getting 72 hitouts if you dont use the hitouts effevtively to our midfield.
For alot of that game against GWS Grundy was tapping the ball to the ground to no one instaed of smashing it 20 or 30 metres out of the congestion which saw many GWS players around the ball.Its called talking to each other once the moidfield and grundy spoke together we all saw what happened but as usuala ll to little to late.Gee its stressful barracking Collingwood !
Hardly grundys fault. Our mids where poor

I want Grundy to be a one-club player but is there any truth in argument that rucks are a bit over-valued? Grundy played the game of his life yesterday but we still lost. For all his dominance, we lose the clearances count most weeks. Similarly, Gawn has often put in amazing performances in Dees' defeats over recent years.

To put it another way, how many premiership winning teams in the past 20 years have had a superstar ruckman? West Coast's victory last year without Natanui is but one example of teams getting it done with a makeshift ruck division.

So, if he really wants to go back to Adelaide and we can get say two top ten picks for him........
Proof that Rucks are not as important as other key positions... Giants have the corpse of Mumford and still won...

The other teams midfield just plays off your Ruck's tap...

Grundy's value is his skills disposing the ball.

If media reports are correct, why are the so-called brains trust at Collingwood playing hard ball with Brody/Brody Grundy's new contract. Personally, I would give him whatever he wants contract-wise. I mean he only had 73 hit outs last night as well as 20 plus disposals. Imagine where this club would have been this year without him. Moreover, I would make him the new captain ASAP as Pendlebury's best days are behind him as evidenced by his peformance against GWS yesterday & in turn in the 2018 Grand Final against West Coast. I certainly would not be giving it to Taylor Adams. But what would a person such as myself who has been to Collingwood games ever since the 1966 Grand Final know. In my view Grundy is the best ruckman Collingwood has had since Len Thompson & even better than Peter Moore; 2 Brownlow medals not withstanding. OK. But knowing this club we are risking losing Grundy back to Adelaide while we pay - and/or have paid - extraordinary amounts to players such as Wells, Mayne & Beams. It is totally irrational. But should I really expect more from this group of clowns? I now look forward to all of the critiques coming my way. Bye.
So we should just roll over and screw our salary cap potentially for the sake of one player? Hasn't worked so well for Sydney.
Pendles was playing crippled last year and had the game's best tagger assigned to him on the weekend. In the meantime he won another All Australian spot.
Grundy is a great ruckman and we'll be keen to keep hm and probably will. But let's not let what you read in the media be taken for gospel either.
Plus, the Wells and Mayne deals were done under Gubby Allan. I expect that many of the players were happy to bring Beams back with the view that we were so close last season.

Yes Brodie is a great ruckman but like Sam Mitchell said on 7 footy show no use getting 72 hitouts if you dont use the hitouts effevtively to our midfield. For alot of that game against GWS Grundy was tapping the ball to the ground to no one instaed of smashing it 20 or 30 metres out of the congestion which saw many GWS players around the ball.Its called talking to each other once the moidfield and grundy spoke together we all saw what happened but as usuala ll to little to late.Gee its stressful barracking Collingwood !
you got it - coffee shop people asked where I was yesterday - told them I was detained by my grief counsellor - :(

Depends. If it's a flat $850k every year then that works as the TPP grows every year and that amount consumes a smaller % of it as a consequence. On the other hand, if it is linked to the growth in TPP and matches that then it becomes more problematic but not insurmountable. Clubs can all afford a small number of players in that top echelon but the numbers of them does have a trickle down impact on you're depth. Look at Richmond (I know, I'm not happy going there either), they add Lynch but others in the top echelon take a salary shave and they offload some mid-tier depth players like Lloyd to the Doggies. But they still retain Dusty, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rance, and Prestia who'd all be on big coin.

Depends. If it's a flat $850k every year then that works as the TPP grows every year and that amount consumes a smaller % of it as a consequence. On the other hand, if it is linked to the growth in TPP and matches that then it becomes more problematic but not insurmountable. Clubs can all afford a small number of players in that top echelon but the numbers of them does have a trickle down impact on you're depth. Look at Richmond (I know, I'm not happy going there either), they add Lynch but others in the top echelon take a salary shave and they offload some mid-tier depth players like Lloyd to the Doggies. But they still retain Dusty, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rance, and Prestia who'd all be on big coin.

I think our supposed cap stress is a bit of a myth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I sometimes wonder if because they expect the dominant hitouts the midfield put in just that little bit less effort at the contest that leads to the lost clearances...

A lot of them are flat footed or crabbing for a defensive/neutral position and don't cut through the contest.

Watch how Degoey cuts across the front of the ruck contest, most our other mids don't. Rather they look to engage in a wrestle and crab around the contest.

Before the prelim they played the whole footage if Buckley roving 4 straight taps against our first choice midfield. He cut through across Grundy and Lynch each time at pace.

Outside Degoey and Sier 2018 version (was more stagnant in 2019) we don't have

Where is the 1.3m figure coming from, if true, he should be wearing a balaclava I love the bloke but that would set us back years when combined with our other outrageous signings in the last few years

It's coming from the rumoured offers being made from other clubs last I read was 1.2 mil rumour.

Haven't heard the 1.3mil one.

I'd offer him 900k @ 5 years. 1 mil plus is just getting too high impact on the cap for a player you developed.

Typically you only pay overs when luring a player not keeping them.

I think our supposed cap stress is a bit of a myth.

I just look at our list and think how can we be so tight yet many other teams who have not only star players on big coin but gone out and pinched big name players aren't.

Look at the tigers their mid teir and below players must be playing for a packet of chips.

Reported below.
Martin 1.2mil pa (After NM offered 1
4mil).
T.Lynch 1.2mil pa. Beat our 1mil offer.
J.Reiwoldt 700k plus.
Couch in 700k plus.
Rance 700k plus.
Prestia originally signed a 5 year deal surely 600k plus.
Caddy a 4 year deal 450k.

Then you have Edwards Vlaustin Crimes who would be on above average wages.

GWS have enough talent to fill 2 teams and are poaching Adelaides ruck.

WC seem to not get pressure on them as no one seems to try poach (or rarely do like gaff ) their players artificially inflating their prices.

Proof that Rucks are not as important as other key positions... Giants have the corpse of Mumford and still won...

The other teams midfield just plays off your Ruck's tap...

Grundy's value is his skills disposing the ball.
Mumford was huge for them in that last quarter. Basically won them the game, IMHO.

Just had a quick look at the rucks for the premiership teams over the last 6 years and it makes for very interesting reading:

2019 - Lycett/Vardy
2018 - Nank
2017 - Boyd/Roughead
2016 - McEvoy
2015 - Hale
2014 - Max Bailey

This year will either be Nank/Soldo or Mummy. All solid competitors/toilers. You wouldn't say any of those are dominant at ruck craft.

When was the last time a team with a dominant ruck took it out? Maybe Jolly in 2010; but he's still no Grundy/Gawn or Goldy?

Good luck to the Collingwood list management team as some tough decisions loom in order to keep all of pillars in Grundy/JDG and Moore long term.

If reports of $800-900K/year for Papley are true then where does that place Grundy's worth?

Does North (apparently) offering ridiculous money for Papley have any bearing on Grundy's worth? If it did, you'd assume Grundy to be worth something approaching double Papley.

Time to bite the bullet and get Josh Jenkins to the Pies, would come cheap and I don't care about the joe the goose goals if you can kick 40 goals a year. On top of that his contested marking has improved over the past 2 years

I think you're overstating any improvement in his contested marking. Just not worth the sort of money he's reportedly on which is apparently up around $550k.

JOSH Jenkins has signed a long-term with Adelaide, ending a protracted contract saga for the power forward.
Adelaide’s board — as predicted by The Advertiser — today signed off on a mega, $550,000-a-year deal locking in Jenkins, 27, until 2022, making it likely he will be a Crow for life.

Jenkins rejected interest from several rival clubs, including an offer from Brisbane believed to be worth close to $750,000 a season.

Tense negotiations continued until last night between Jenkins’ manager Paul Connors and Adelaide.

The Crows agreed to Jenkins’ wish for a five-year option, providing the security Jenkins sought after the club initially offered a two-year deal.

Time to bite the bullet and get Josh Jenkins to the Pies, would come cheap and I don't care about the joe the goose goals if you can kick 40 goals a year. On top of that his contested marking has improved over the past 2 years
I do not like that you placed this comment in the Grundy thread given Jake Connors manages both of them.:eek: But if Grundy is really keen on getting home, I would consider swapping him for Jenkins, plus their pick 3 and pick 21???

Remove this Banner Ad

WHY ARE COLLINGWOOD APPARENTLY PLAYING HARDBALL WITH BRODY GRUNDY'S NEW CONTRACT?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back