Opinion Why are the interstate teams so bad? How do we fix them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Statistically Vic sides should win more often.

However, it is also easier to draft and recruit from Victoria with the larger percentage of players coming from vic.

This has only got worse with players like Archie Perkins, Bailey Smith, LDU (these are just the players reported on) but you can imagine it is fairly common. This is before the go home factor once players are drafted.

People keep stating draft local etc, but if you don’t have a pick in that range you either miss the player or aren’t Utilising the draft pick to the maximum value.

It will be interesting what covid does long term to the Victorian teams. What happens to all those 13/14/15 year olds that have missed almost two years of development in junior footy when it hits their draft year. Will we see an over inflated number of players from WA/SA? Or will there be more diamonds in the rough?

Is dynasty teams good for the game? I do want the flag rotated more yes, is that a problem.. how can anyone (other than the club supporters) enjoy Richmond, Geelong and Hawthorn winning flags year after year after year… I’d much prefer to see a more diverse premier list.

Yes it is a problem you want it rotated more, as you basically just want to remove any ability for a side to be good by smart recruiting, development, coaching etc.

We are about to see 2 clubs play in a GF with one flag combined in the last 57 years, so you should be happy with that fact.

Port had a chance of a dynasty early 2000s but blew finals chances, usually you build a side and have opportunity’s you have to maximise.

You may win 3 like Richmond, or zero like Port now, Cats since 2012, St Kilda 2000s, Pies losing 11 GFs between 59-81 etc.

I suggest a salary cap increase to all interstate teams and a re look at the fixture so interstate teams travel less. I suggest a look into the draft so bottom 10 teams get more picks and top 4 teams don’t get a first rounder. I suggest interstate teams get more funding and money to spend on coaches.. I suggest having more media coverage for interstate teams to promote sponsors..

I can suggest a lot of changes that the AFL should introduce

You ALREADY have a salary cap advantage over both the Grand Finalists. The two years prior neither club has paid 100% of the cap.

How about you work out what is wrong with the interstate clubs.

Your whole premise makes no sense, you being a thread when your side as heavy favourites gets done by 12 goals at home, about how you need an enquiry into why it happened.
Again not about port or tonight, why troll? I made this tonight because officially an interstate team can’t win it this year making it 15 years. The problem isn’t port not winning. The problem all interstate teams are not winning. The problem is interstate teams are struggling for success, that’s the discussion. This is not a port discussion. If you want to troll, go to the bay. This is a genuine discussion

Port Adelaide

Travis Boak
Karl Amon
Zak Butters
DBJ
Tom Clurey
William Drew
Xavier Duursma
Robbie Gray
Dan Houston
Todd Marshall
Trent McKenzie
Tom Rockcliffe
Ollie Wines

All originate from Vic. Port should just rename themselves Victorian Power. Seriously all their best players are from Vic.
Relocate to Gippsland as Gippsland Power for the OP?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again not about port or tonight, why troll? I made this tonight because officially an interstate team can’t win it this year making it 15 years. The problem isn’t port not winning. The problem all interstate teams are not winning. The problem is interstate teams are struggling for success, that’s the discussion. This is not a port discussion. If you want to troll, go to the bay. This is a genuine discussion

The only thing I believe is in Vic sides favour is GF at MCG, I think it should be rotated between each state, with host venue known before start of each season.

Aside from that, I’d leave it be.

You have to admit the optics of you bringing this up tonight really aren’t good.

West Coast won 2018, who said interstate clubs can’t win?

Up to each club to draft, develop and perform.

Tonight we saw an interstate team choke on the big stage, they didn’t perform, just like Melbourne 2018. Nothing to do with the state they come from

Melbourne based teams have to battle through H&A seasons where they give up home games and play plenty of blockbusters.

They go the hard way and are ready come finals and are happy to win everywhere.

SA/WA, in particular, teams are entitled and think they deserve all these extra advantages...they get gifted top finishes in H&A and then can't handle the heat when challenged come finals.

AFL needs to even up H&A and stop letting mediocre non-Melbourne teams land in top4 spots that they don't deserve.

Out of the last 15 years only two non Victorian teams have won the premiership

Why are the Melbourne based teams so much more dominant?

How do we help/fix the interstate teams?

Because they're too focused on sooking about every minor disadvantage they believe they have because #VICBIAS while ignoring the advantages they do have and just getting on with the job.

Plus they keep coaches like Hinkley for years past their used by date.

Enquiry time
We need an official enquiry and equalisation measures. No one wants to watch Victorian clubs win flags on rotation because of inherent advantages
I think there definitely needs to be an enquiry.. it most likely is the fixture and the increased travel but something needs to be done
Do we need an enquiry on why the Eagles have made the most finals appearances of all clubs the past 35 years?

West Coast could rotate with the other interstate clubs?

Need an enquiry why Port couldn’t get it done lmao 🤣
Why do collingwood lose grand finals more than any other team? It must be an inherent disadvantage and not their own fault, i demand an afl enquiry to ensure that next time the pies make a granny they god damn win it.
'inquiry'

its called cycles at some point in the future maybe 10,20,50,100 years a Victorian will complain that non Victorian teams are winning too many flags
or ask for a inquiry into the struggles of Victorian afl clubs aka 2006.

Australian Rules legend Ron Barassi has called for a inquiry into the declining fortunes of Victoria's 10 AFL clubs.

The AFL actually did the inquiry.

Interstate clubs have won 12 of the 30 AFL premierships. And in muxh of that era they made a smaller % of all clubs. It just happens that Vic teams are comparatively dominant. If you take away Hawthorn, Geelong and Richmond interstate teams actually lead the ledger a fair bit.

Your whole premise makes no sense, you being a thread when your side as heavy favourites gets done by 12 goals at home, about how you need an enquiry into why it happened.
There was an AFL investigation at the end of 2006 when the Vic clubs were struggling. All 10 Victorian sides finished below Freo in 2006.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Why are the interstate teams so bad? How do we fix them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back