Why are we still persisting with North?

Remove this Banner Ad

Khawaja in for the second test. They can't keep holding on, investing time and waiting for the breakthrough ton to occur; unlike Hussey he hasn't got a sustained run of test cricket to fall back on and this kid Usburger can seriously play. How many test matches have we dropped in the past couple of years where we were only maybe 30 odd runs from setting a matchwinning total?

And ignoring the form line but the way he got out today was woeful. Played completely down the wrong line and gave himself no safety if it spun a bit. Never seen somebody overplay fwd defence as much as he does, looks like he is more concerned with the technique looking goood for the cameras than playing the ball on its merits.

But that is just a copy of the way he usually gets out on 1 or a duck. He plays down the wrong line all the time when he starts. Seriously look at some of his shots to get out cheaply against Pakistan and India. Really horrible.

Worst starter in the team and that's saying something with Hussey and Punter in pretty poor form these days.

if we lose the ashes and north keeps failing then maybe he will be dumped for the dead rubber.

If he's failing but we win the ashes or the series is alive going to sydney then he will be there.

Not right but it's just the way it is, in the selectors mind this current unit is our dream team the fall from 1st to 5th just an aberration.

if we lose the ashes and north keeps failing then maybe he will be dumped for the dead rubber.

If he's failing but we win the ashes or the series is alive going to sydney then he will be there.

Not right but it's just the way it is, in the selectors mind this current unit is our dream team the fall from 1st to 5th just an aberration.

Yep. In Hilditch's head, the Aussies are still the no 1 test team and Punter is the best batsman in the world.

No to kick a guy when he's down - but he's done.

So - who is the best person to replace him? Smith, Khawaja, Ferguson, White?

Marcus North has to go. And, I would pick Stephen Smith to bat at number 6.

Or, Cameron White may be ready to play test cricket. He is a damn good number 5 or no 6 batsman who can provide the X-factor to the batting line up. He is also a damn good first slip fieldsman.

The biggest factor against Stephen Smith is he needs to play more four day cricket to work on his batting and bowling. His leg spin bowling will not develop if he continues to play 50 over and 20 over cricket. He needs to play more 4 day cricket and test cricket to allow his leg spin bowling to improve with experience.

I have a bit of sympathy for North in that it's not his fault the selectors keep picking him.

But they can't keep going with a dodgy North, a dodgy Hussey and a dodgy (injured) Clarke.

Clearly Hussey is in good enough form that he'll be staying around. If Clarke's injury puts him out of the next test (which on the way he looked today should be a strong possiblility) then there's no way they'll drop North and bring in two newbies. If Clarke plays, North should go - but I bet he doesn't.

What are the odds on him getting a big score in the second innings now to save his spot? Or getting some wickets

To be honest I really hope he does! Since they're probably going to keep picking him anyway we might as well hope he comes into form sooner rather than later!!

Hodge, Smith, Khawaja, Hughes and possibly White are players who are better and would contribute much much more than North.

I know Watson has been in great nick as an opener, but I'd like to see him drop down to 6 and have another opener come in, with North the one to make way.
Watson was really swinging the ball in the first innings, but can't bowl too many overs because he has to turn straight around again and open...

I have a bit of sympathy for North in that it's not his fault the selectors keep picking him.

But they can't keep going with a dodgy North, a dodgy Hussey and a dodgy (injured) Clarke.

Clearly Hussey is in good enough form that he'll be staying around. If Clarke's injury puts him out of the next test (which on the way he looked today should be a strong possiblility) then there's no way they'll drop North and bring in two newbies. If Clarke plays, North should go - but I bet he doesn't.

A good point.

Michael Clarke should have never declared himself fit for the 1st test match, and he should have put his teamates ahead of his own personal goals. So, how can he be the next person to captain Australia? The NSW mafia are pumping his tyres up through Channel 9 and various newspaper outlets (Mark Taylor and Geoff Lawson).

The medical staff should rule Michael Clarke out for the Adelaide test match to make sure he is ready for the 3rd, 4th and final test matches. I would be prepared to drop him from the test side altogether. He is the worse number 4 batsman in Australian test cricket history. I would rate Kim Hughes and Damien Martyn as superior number 4 batters than Michael John Clarke. Michael John Clarke would not score runs against Ambrose, Walsh, Marshall, Garner, Holding and co. If you look at the 2005 Ashes series, the England bowling attack of 2005 resembled the WI pace attack of the early 80s and Clarke failed miserably!!

With Greg Chappell as the FUll Time Selector, I think he would bring in Cameron White and Stephen Smith into the side. Cameron White's century against England was a good knock and I think he has done enough to pass Callum Ferguson and Usman Khawaja. Stephen SMith did not do his chances any harm after he scored a decent half century in the 1st innings.

Usman Khawaja is a damn good left hand batsman. However, he needs to score runs against good quality bowling attacks and the Australia A game was his chance to put his hand up.

At the minute, the quality of the Shield bowling attacks around Australia is not of high quality at the minute. Apart from Victoria and New South Wales fielding a good test match quality bowling attack whilst the test players are on international duty, the other states do not have a decent bowling attack that can match it against an international team's bowling attack.

In conclusion, Andrew Hilditch must consider Marcus North as his adopted son.

And, does anyone notice that when Hilditch holds a press conference, he always puts on a sad smile!!

THE GOVERNOR

(Log in to remove this ad.)

one of the biggest problems is, and it was getting pretty obvious to see it about 12 months ago, was that we have too many underperforming players and coming into a massive ashes series we have barely even blooded anyone to see how they go. smith and paine got a couple of tests but that is it.

at this point last year, hussey and north were under huge pressure whilst johnson had just come off an ugly ashes series, the jury was still out on siddle and we had no recognised spinner....

granted at the time johnson we were willing to forgive at the time because he just had a great 2008/09.

but the pressure valve was on and against mediocre opposition in pakistan and west indies we didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory.

after a mediocre summer instead of thinking we have six tests to the ashes, what's happening in shield cricket we've just stuck with the same lads....

and now the likely replacements for our underpeforming players (which are increasing... not decreasing) are extremely inexperienced and it would be a huge call to bring more than two or three in for a massive series like this.

the injury to clarke has not helped the situation and he clearly wasn't fit.

now hussey and siddle have done brilliantly in this test but there are still question marks over the line-up... coming into this test you really couldn't pick the difference between these teams;

side a) kat, watto, punter, clarke, huss, north, hadd, jonno, sids, doherty, hilf
side b) kat, watto, punter, clarke, khawaja, ferg/smith, paine (if fit), hauritz, bolly, harris, hilf...

that's six players who are close to the team but only have a combined total of about 30 tests to their name (bolly and hauritz taking almost all of them)....

and it's not like the remaining five lads of the team are carving it up - Kat and Watto yes... Ponting well out of form, clarke having a tough 9 months and injured and for all the love hilfenhaus gets on this board, he still hasn't taken 5 wickets in an innings or 6 in a match, and still averages +30 from 15 tests.....

essentially we've backed ourselves into a corner and don't have many options for a massive series.

At the minute, the quality of the Shield bowling attacks around Australia is not of high quality at the minute. Apart from Victoria and New South Wales fielding a good test match quality bowling attack whilst the test players are on international duty, the other states do not have a decent bowling attack that can match it against an international team's bowling attack.

i mentioned in the new south wales thread on the domestic board that Cricket Australia has to look at this log jam of quick bowlers in Vic and NSW. It's redicolous that someone like Mitchell Starc isn't capable of getting a run in shield cricket (regularly) while Chris Duval still gets a game... same deal in Victoria - good players not getting enough of a go.

There's a lad plays first grade cricket for Penrith called Josh Lalor. Never even got close to a game for NSW, but he takes so many wickets in grade cricket but there are just too many in front of him... i don't know what you can do?? you can't make players move interstate.... essentially though it's not good.

i probably seem like i'm sticking up for Michael Clarke a bit today. but you can't really bag him out for the 2005 ashes. averaged a tad under 40 which isn't great but was still our second or third highest.... there are plenty more others who could cop it for the series before him...

A good point.

Michael Clarke should have never declared himself fit for the 1st test match, and he should have put his teamates ahead of his own personal goals. So, how can he be the next person to captain Australia? The NSW mafia are pumping his tyres up through Channel 9 and various newspaper outlets (Mark Taylor and Geoff Lawson).

The medical staff should rule Michael Clarke out for the Adelaide test match to make sure he is ready for the 3rd, 4th and final test matches. I would be prepared to drop him from the test side altogether. He is the worse number 4 batsman in Australian test cricket history. I would rate Kim Hughes and Damien Martyn as superior number 4 batters than Michael John Clarke. Michael John Clarke would not score runs against Ambrose, Walsh, Marshall, Garner, Holding and co. If you look at the 2005 Ashes series, the England bowling attack of 2005 resembled the WI pace attack of the early 80s and Clarke failed miserably!!

With Greg Chappell as the FUll Time Selector, I think he would bring in Cameron White and Stephen Smith into the side. Cameron White's century against England was a good knock and I think he has done enough to pass Callum Ferguson and Usman Khawaja. Stephen SMith did not do his chances any harm after he scored a decent half century in the 1st innings.

Usman Khawaja is a damn good left hand batsman. However, he needs to score runs against good quality bowling attacks and the Australia A game was his chance to put his hand up.

In conclusion, Andrew Hilditch must consider Marcus North as his adopted son.

And, does anyone notice that when Hilditch holds a press conference, he always puts on a sad smile!!

THE GOVERNOR

That is classic, you clearly have no idea whatsoever.... Congrats on making my day your post was a laugh. Clarke should be batting 5 but to drop him from the side all together is surely a joke.

That is classic, you clearly have no idea whatsoever.... Congrats on making my day your post was a laugh. Clarke should be batting 5 but to drop him from the side all together is surely a joke.

The only joke is that someone thinks Clarke is a test cricketer, he's shown time and time again that he's only there for himself and is only kept in the side because he comes from NSW, and the excuse of the bad back doesn't count, he's shown that the bimbo ex of his took his spine when she left.:cool:

The only joke is that someone thinks Clarke is a test cricketer, he's shown time and time again that he's only there for himself and is only kept in the side because he comes from NSW, and the excuse of the bad back doesn't count, he's shown that the bimbo ex of his took his spine when she left.:cool:

Average of close to 50 in test cricket suggests otherwise, maybe just mayb Victorian biased is coming into play.

They won't drop North for Adelaide, b/c they'll want the extra bowling option.

depends on Clarke and how North goes in the second innings... Smith would be much more valuable at the Adelaide oval, I'd even prefer Cameron White.

Keeping north for the extra bowling option?

Might as well get katich to bowl, he's better than North, and hauritz for that matter.

It's ridiculous that North is kept for so long because of his extra bowling option crap when someone like Michael Bevan who was a legitimate all-rounder and a far better batsmen managed only one fewer test.

They won't drop North for Adelaide, b/c they'll want the extra bowling option.

Hodge can bowl the same sort of stuff as North. Smith is an all rounder and a spinner. O'Keefe is a spinner who can bat quite well. David Friggin Hussey is a part time off spinner who would be good in that position as he's twice the batsman North is. But you're right, they will play him to the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are we still persisting with North?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back