Why aren't Freo allowed to pick Josh Bootsma as a father-son pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

FarmersWife

All Australian
Apr 10, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Mt Lawley Hawks, AMR Hawks
As corrupt and dispicably biased towards the Vic's as it is, this is the rule for father-son picks for Fremantle.

So can someone please tell me why the AFL/VFL/SS, has not allowed Fremantle to pick up Josh Bootsma, who's Dad has not only played 163 games for South Fremantle, but also topped it off with 23 games for Fremantle? That's 186 games, almost double the 100 required for a Vic team/player. No reason seems to have been made public.

This competition is becoming more of a joke every year. Always talking about equalisation this and equalisation that when it suits the Vics, but then we get bent over whenever it's the other way around.

Non-Victorian teams got it wrong years ago. We should have set up our own league and let the stronger Vic clubs come begging and the weaker ones stay in the VFL state league. Now we have their arrogance, debt and baggage to deal with.

As corrupt and dispicably biased towards the Vic's as it is, this is the rule for father-son picks for Fremantle.

So can someone please tell me why the AFL/VFL/SS, has not allowed Fremantle to pick up Josh Bootsma, who's Dad has not only played 163 games for South Fremantle, but also topped it off with 23 games for Fremantle? That's 186 games, almost double the 100 required for a Vic team/player. No reason seems to have been made public.

This competition is becoming more of a joke every year. Always talking about equalisation this and equalisation that when it suits the Vics, but then we get bent over whenever it's the other way around.

Non-Victorian teams got it wrong years ago. We should have set up our own league and let the stronger Vic clubs come begging and the weaker ones stay in the VFL state league. Now we have their arrogance, debt and baggage to deal with.

Perhaps the South/East etc games needed to be played before we came into the comp?

Remember reading something about it switched over from WAFL to AFL game played at some point, which is probably the reason. Cbf looking but.

Perhaps the South/East etc games needed to be played before we came into the comp?
This sounds about right... that AFL article mentions that Crows SANFL players had to play 200 before 1990 (their inception). Despite being silent for us, you'd think it'd be the same.

Funny though that SA teams have to have theirs play 200 games compared to 150 for the WA teams. Did they play more games over there as a rule?

The 150 appearances have to have been played before we entered the competition in 1995, Brad had played less than 150 by 1995.

Bingo bango bongo, we can't pick him as a father/son.

The stupid thing about this rule is that it pretty much ruled us out of getting a whole generation of players. When we entered the competition, there was no way possible for him/his body to make it to 100 games for us to qualify for the F/S selection. Which is what would have been required under the rules of F/S selection.

How is that fair AFL??? All you did is set an impossible target for him to achieve, instead of 'fine tuning' the rules to keep with the 'spirit of the game' which you love to bring out when you have stuffed something up. Like this......it's all too late now though.

It's funny that Josh was born in 1993 before Brad had even started playing WAFL footy for Souths in 94.

Because we have 4 clubs to pick eligible sons from from whilst Melbourne based clubs don't.

Did you even read the rest of my post?

Is it fair that when we entered the competition, all his games at SF were worthless, seeing as he had to play 150 ''before'' we entered the competition, since he didn't the only way he could have qualified for the F/S would have been to play 100 for FFC, which given his age and time left in the game was impossible.

THAT is what is asked the AFL how it was fair.

Did you even read the rest of my post?

Is it fair that when we entered the competition, all his games at SF were worthless, seeing as he had to play 150 ''before'' we entered the competition, since he didn't the only way he could have qualified for the F/S would have been to play 100 for FFC, which given his age and time left in the game was impossible.

THAT is what is asked the AFL how it was fair.

How could it be that he's playing WAFL games in 2005 that still count towards our father-son?

They weren't "worthless" either. The way I understand it, his eligible games are added to the games he played for Fremantle, and if this total added to 150, we'd have been able to get him. If Brad had played 149 WAFL games before 1995, he'd only need to have played 1 to qualify. Similarly, if Wally Matera had played 4? games for us then we'd have Brandon Matera running around in purple. Unfortunately he only played about 20 eligible WAFL games, which meant, like you say, it would have been easier for him to have simply played 100 for us than to have played 130 needed to qualify via the WAFL method.

The system was set up in a way which unfortunately disadvantages players who've played less than 50 games for a WAFL club and then play AFL. We also get 4 times as many clubs to pick eligible fathers from, who need to play 50 more games for their club. That's just how it is.

I'm much more concerned about the type of concessions GC/GWS are getting compared to what we have rather than some rule that means that on one we'd need to use an earlier pick on some player, that is if we even want him. Where's our 9 first round picks in the 1995 draft?

Considering we already have a thread titled "Father son questions", it makes sense that "Why aren't Freo allowed to pick Josh Bootsma as a father-son pick?" is a seperate thread.

Even though this exact same question has been asked and answered in the very thread that you mention?

And in yet another thread that is still on the first page of this board.

Carry on, I don't really care. Just thought it interesting that it needed 3 threads to be cleared up.

Even though this exact same question has been asked and answered in the very thread that you mention?

And in yet another thread that is still on the first page of this board.

Carry on, I don't really care. Just thought it interesting that it needed 3 threads to be cleared up.

Some things take multiple threads, simultaneously, for a topic to be done to death :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I see it, the AFL made us dodge a bullet. If we were eligible to pick him up there's a good chance we'd have been fake bidded into using one of our picks in the 20's, and from what i've read/seen of him he definitely aint worth it.

Bids are made before trade week. We didn't have pick 20 or 29 then. Pick 38 would've been the likely cost.

How is this anything to rue? This thread is pretty unwarranted. Although some complaints are definitely sensible, this scenario does not call for a whole new thread. How high is this guy going to be picked?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a club forfeit a pick for an F/S pick? I think there's a high chance he'll be around come the 70's and 80's.

I played footy for North Albany with him last year. He and his younger brother. Both nothing special. This isn't jealousy or bitterness, I just truly believe he's not a fantastic footballer. His height is his main advantage - that and his dad's few Freo appearances. Without his old man's name, he wouldn't of been picked for a North Albany league game, let alone a position in the WAFL colts Grand Final. The guy's skills are somewhat tidy, but it's nothing scintillating or awe-inspiring. I would rate a few blokes from Albany (in his age) much above.

Please now refer to the two newer threads that I have created on this matter, since creating this one. I think we need more. No, seriously though, I can't see any other threads on the matter and I don't wade through every word on this site like some others here that become irate at a little line hogging their monitor when viewing the thread list.

Cheers for the answers! All in all it shows that the rule is ridiculous and needs an overhaul to make it more equitable. To the person that thought it's fair because we have 4 teams to pick from - we have 4 teams to pick from, but with next to none actually eligible due to the ages involved, such as in this case. Plus a lot more West Aussies went to Vic to play, particularly the better players/genes. Many more disavantaging variabled there.

AFL is a joke. We should have set up our own league with other non-Vic states and left them to fester in their own bs.

"It's Bradley Bootsma, it's Bradley Bootsma, it's Bradley, it's Bradley, it's Bradley Bootsma". Peter van den Hoogen, July 2011.

Please now refer to the two newer threads that I have created on this matter, since creating this one. I think we need more. No, seriously though, I can't see any other threads on the matter and I don't wade through every word on this site like some others here that become irate at a little line hogging their monitor when viewing the thread list.

Cheers for the answers! All in all it shows that the rule is ridiculous and needs an overhaul to make it more equitable. To the person that thought it's fair because we have 4 teams to pick from - we have 4 teams to pick from, but with next to none actually eligible due to the ages involved, such as in this case. Plus a lot more West Aussies went to Vic to play, particularly the better players/genes. Many more disavantaging variabled there.

AFL is a joke. We should have set up our own league with other non-Vic states and left them to fester in their own bs.

"It's Bradley Bootsma, it's Bradley Bootsma, it's Bradley, it's Bradley, it's Bradley Bootsma". Peter van den Hoogen, July 2011.

How Gibbs got to a Victorian club is incomprehensible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why aren't Freo allowed to pick Josh Bootsma as a father-son pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back