Freo and the never ending rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure. Looking at the King what ifs however think Fremantle have got very lucky themselves.

Brayshaw at pick 2.
Cerra then traded for the Amiss pick.

Serong and Young at picks 7 and 8.
Sean Darcy at pick 30ish.

Really REALLY wished we gave up on Henry as he was looking very raw, ordinary and slow at that age and tried to get Pickett.

Rebuilding has been nice this time around compared to 08-2015.
Suban, Mayne, De Boer, Duffield came from that draft/rebuild.

Sure. Looking at the King what ifs however think Fremantle have got very lucky themselves.

Brayshaw at pick 2.
Cerra then traded for the Amiss pick.

Serong and Young at picks 7 and 8.
Sean Darcy at pick 30ish.

Really REALLY wished we gave up on Henry as he was looking very raw, ordinary and slow at that age and tried to get Pickett.

Rebuilding has been nice this time around compared to 08-2015.
Suban, Mayne, De Boer, Duffield came from that draft/rebuild.
We couldn’t get Pickett for Henry! We traded up with Melbourne to get Serong, we knew they wanted Pickett, they knew we wanted Serong. That’s the choice, Serong vs Pickett. Leave Henry out of the discussion we got him for second round picks

Rozee maybe.

As for king.... we would of got the one the suns got , not the saints one.
Rozee went pick 5. There isn't a universe in which we get him because our earliest pick was 6. Ben King is who we turned down for Hogan (which, if he'd played to his potential, now seen at GWS, would've been a bargain).

Backed ourselves in to help him, he was in too bad a place mentally, and location wise (poor friend groups etc) for it to work. It sucks, but if you don't trade for him and he kills it, what's the narrative then?

In any case, we've drafted extremely well and are on the precipice of a very exciting period for the club. Said it before, enjoy the ride, the ups and the downs.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rozee went pick 5. There isn't a universe in which we get him because our earliest pick was 6. Ben King is who we turned down for Hogan (which, if he'd played to his potential, now seen at GWS, would've been a bargain).

Backed ourselves in to help him, he was in too bad a place mentally, and location wise (poor friend groups etc) for it to work. It sucks, but if you don't trade for him and he kills it, what's the narrative then?

In any case, we've drafted extremely well and are on the precipice of a very exciting period for the club. Said it before, enjoy the ride, the ups and the downs.

Brisbane had 5 and we were trading in Neale.

They was absolutely a world where we could have had picks 5 and 6 in that draft. Could easily have demanded 5 from the lions for Neale.

Breaking pick 6 in a well flagged superdraft (remember the 7 guns that had their own bracket at the top in that draft?) to get Rory stupid Lobb was the real error. Port Adelaide getting one up on us yet again.

What pisses me off we traded him to GWS for a token pick which has strengthened an opposing team who has pretty much helped knock us out of final contention, and put them into flag contention, where would he be if we just delisted him would he have gotten the GWS.

I think the state of the nation for me is I'm utterly gutted at how this year is ending.
Losing Pearce, Darcy & then Treacy killed us.

BUT

In all my years supporting Freo this is the first time I feel we are a professional, consistent footy team.
We have a brilliant list of younger players coming through together, significant draft capital and the potential to being in some real talent at the end of the year.

I think we're a Bolton + Baker/Warner away from being able to contend to go all the way.

I think we have the strongest culture among the playing group we've ever had. I feel like JL has them playing a very consistent and competitive brand of footy and our fitness staff have had one of the best years in memory in terms of keeping the playing group on the park.

When the Ross era ended it felt like everything was worn out, players were broken, everyone was tired.

Now it feels like we're in the early stages of a few years we're we'll be thereabouts. There aren't any guarantees in a high performance industry like this and we're not owed anything by the Gods of sport. People do the best they can and strive for excellence and what happens, happens.

Look at Carlton, rebuilding for years, more money than God, AFL Vic boys club does everything possible to get them back to a premiership and they've failed, again. Essendon even worse.

Imagine being Saint Kilda. Or North? How must it feel to be a North supporter now after all their high draft picks and rebuilding and getting supposedly the best coach of the modern era. They just got humiliated by a club which seems to be able to turn on a dime and get back to the top within 3 years.

We're not owed anything and we're free to leave and forget about footy or follow another club.

At the moment I'm utterly gutted and will probably not even go to the game next weekend. I just can't, something broke in that last quarter against Geelong. I didn't even get nervous watching us against GWS. I'm cooked and I know it's time to walk away for a bit. Going to Europe for September.

Will I back up next year? No idea but the odds say I'll probably be at the first game of the year in the warm weather next year, all excited to go around the merry go round again.

I hate and love football. But when my mental health starts suffering its time to just stop thinking about it for a while.

I think the state of the nation for me is I'm utterly gutted at how this year is ending.
Losing Pearce, Darcy & then Treacy killed us.

BUT

In all my years supporting Freo this is the first time I feel we are a professional, consistent footy team.
We have a brilliant list of younger players coming through together, significant draft capital and the potential to being in some real talent at the end of the year.

I think we're a Bolton + Baker/Warner away from being able to contend to go all the way.

I think we have the strongest culture among the playing group we've ever had. I feel like JL has them playing a very consistent and competitive brand of footy and our fitness staff have had one of the best years in memory in terms of keeping the playing group on the park.

When the Ross era ended it felt like everything was worn out, players were broken, everyone was tired.

Now it feels like we're in the early stages of a few years we're we'll be thereabouts. There aren't any guarantees in a high performance industry like this and we're not owed anything by the Gods of sport. People do the best they can and strive for excellence and what happens, happens.

Look at Carlton, rebuilding for years, more money than God, AFL Vic boys club does everything possible to get them back to a premiership and they've failed, again. Essendon even worse.

Imagine being Saint Kilda. Or North? How must it feel to be a North supporter now after all their high draft picks and rebuilding and getting supposedly the best coach of the modern era. They just got humiliated by a club which seems to be able to turn on a dime and get back to the top within 3 years.

We're not owed anything and we're free to leave and forget about footy or follow another club.

At the moment I'm utterly gutted and will probably not even go to the game next weekend. I just can't, something broke in that last quarter against Geelong. I didn't even get nervous watching us against GWS. I'm cooked and I know it's time to walk away for a bit. Going to Europe for September.

Will I back up next year? No idea but the odds say I'll probably be at the first game of the year in the warm weather next year, all excited to go around the merry go round again.

I hate and love football. But when my mental health starts suffering its time to just stop thinking about it for a while.
I'm hearing ya! Last year burnt me out!

I'm still back supporting this year (and will be every year) but hardly as passionate (emotionally) as I have been. Even during the Essendon game, I saw things in the 3rd quarter and just knew how the game would end so I walked away from the TV to play with the kids. Couple hours later the outcome was as I suspected and I was glad I chose to have fun with my kids :). I still watch the games where I can, but I wont put watching the games in front of everything else as I used to.
Why is it that this season is just playing out as a stereotypical Freo Season - it's like when we were trying to make finals for the first time under Neesham - we needed results to go our way and then we had to beat Melbourne (the bottom team) at the G. The other results went our way, then we completely botched the game against the dees.

The way this is shaping up is that this weekend, Carlton and/or dogs will lose, but then we'll botch the game against Port. I really wish i could feel otherwise, but we've been through all this too often. Fugg i'd love the club to break the mould for a change. I feel for several years under Ross was the only time we've ever broken the mould and been ruthless.

Look the list rebuild is 90-95% complete the true reality of this year is basically not icing close games.

Look at Port & GWS compared to us its basically the difference between coming 2nd and 9th.

There is SFA between everyone lets be honest its how you handle those tight situations.

There will be some tough lessons over this off-season and if we learn anything is how to manage these better and train for them.

We have tightened up too much trying to protect a lead instead of being ruthless.

Margins under 12 points or less

Port Adelaide - 6 wins / 1 loss = 85.71%
GWS - 5 wins / 1 loss = 83.33%
Essendon - 6 wins / 1 Draw / 3 Losses = 65.00%
Collingwood - 6 wins / 2 Draws / 3 Losses = 63.64%
Brisbane - 3 wins / 1 Draw / 2 Losses = 58.33%
Geelong - 4 wins / 3 Losses = 57.14%
Gold Coast - 4 wins / 3 Losses = 57.14%
Carlton - 4 wins / 4 Losses = 50.00%
Hawthorn - 3 wins / 3 Losses = 50.00%
West Coast - 2 wins / 2 Losses = 50.00%
Melbourne - 3 wins / 4 Losses = 42.86%
North Melbourne - 2 wins / 3 losses = 40.00%
Richmond - 2 wins / 3 losses = 40.00%
St Kilda - 3 wins / 6 losses = 33.33%
Adelaide - 2 wins / 1 Draw / 6 Losses = 27.77%
Fremantle - 1 win / 1 Draw / 5 Losses = 21.43%
Sydney - 1 win / 4 Losses = 20.00%
Western Bulldogs - 0 wins / 2 Losses = 0.00%

Look the list rebuild is 90-95% complete the true reality of this year is basically not icing close games.

Look at Port & GWS compared to us its basically the difference between coming 2nd and 9th.

There is SFA between everyone lets be honest its how you handle those tight situations.

There will be some tough lessons over this off-season and if we learn anything is how to manage these better and train for them.

We have tightened up too much trying to protect a lead instead of being ruthless.

Margins under 12 points or less

Port Adelaide - 6 wins / 1 loss = 85.71%
GWS - 5 wins / 1 loss = 83.33%
Essendon - 6 wins / 1 Draw / 3 Losses = 65.00%
Collingwood - 6 wins / 2 Draws / 3 Losses = 63.64%
Brisbane - 3 wins / 1 Draw / 2 Losses = 58.33%
Geelong - 4 wins / 3 Losses = 57.14%
Gold Coast - 4 wins / 3 Losses = 57.14%
Carlton - 4 wins / 4 Losses = 50.00%
Hawthorn - 3 wins / 3 Losses = 50.00%
West Coast - 2 wins / 2 Losses = 50.00%
Melbourne - 3 wins / 4 Losses = 42.86%
North Melbourne - 2 wins / 3 losses = 40.00%
Richmond - 2 wins / 3 losses = 40.00%
St Kilda - 3 wins / 6 losses = 33.33%
Adelaide - 2 wins / 1 Draw / 6 Losses = 27.77%
Fremantle - 1 win / 1 Draw / 5 Losses = 21.43%
Sydney - 1 win / 4 Losses = 20.00%
Western Bulldogs - 0 wins / 2 Losses = 0.00%
Yep, just being average (3/3/1) in this stat would have us outright 4th.

Q4 is killing us as is giving up 3 goal headstarts. It's an experience thing all day long. They better train the **** out of both in summer.

Brisbane had 5 and we were trading in Neale.

They was absolutely a world where we could have had picks 5 and 6 in that draft. Could easily have demanded 5 from the lions for Neale.

Breaking pick 6 in a well flagged superdraft (remember the 7 guns that had their own bracket at the top in that draft?) to get Rory stupid Lobb was the real error. Port Adelaide getting one up on us yet again.
I don't disagree on an even playing field, but it isn't. At least 3 players were considerable flight risks for us, and considering the team (on and off field) at the time, the deal makes sense.

Lobb was better than people want to admit, and gave us structure. We were into Clarke, and thought we could get him and Lobb by splitting 6 (I'd argue Clark makes top 10/12 in that draft revisted- at least half of that top ten doesn't, let alone the top 7 players).

Ross wanted to win now, didn't work out, but injuries derailed the next two seasons more than this draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No point trading for decent experienced players because they will turn to not be motivated or turn to poo when they come here.

Remember jesse Hogan? Very good at Melbourne , gets traded to the dockers and doesnt care about his career. He gets traded for pick 54 on a one year deal. He strangely pulls his finger out of his bum and revives his career there. He is likely to win the coleman medal now.
Look I have my moments of wallowing in abject misery too but this is bullshit. We’ve also traded in Clark, JOM, Sharp, Wagner, Aish, Corbett, McDonald etc. for all their limitations, they’ve bought into the club. I have question marks over Bolton but Warner I’m very confident would buy in too.

I expect Caleb Serong to be making expectations very clear.

Treacy and Clark this year have both enjoyed the benefits of a solid preseason, I hope that motivates plenty when they both finish top five in the B&F.

I don't disagree on an even playing field, but it isn't. At least 3 players were considerable flight risks for us, and considering the team (on and off field) at the time, the deal makes sense.

Lobb was better than people want to admit, and gave us structure. We were into Clarke, and thought we could get him and Lobb by splitting 6 (I'd argue Clark makes top 10/12 in that draft revisted- at least half of that top ten doesn't, let alone the top 7 players).

Ross wanted to win now, didn't work out, but injuries derailed the next two seasons more than this draft.

A lot of people saying here lately we were well into Jordan Clark in that draft.
As I understood it at the time, it was actually Zak Butters at pick 12 that Wallsy was enamoured by. He was super keen on him and would have taken him if he’d been available.

A lot of people saying here lately we were well into Jordan Clark in that draft.
As I understood it at the time, it was actually Zak Butters at pick 12 that Wallsy was enamoured by. He was super keen on him and would have taken him if he’d been available.
Yep, distinctly remember it and being disgusted by a small vic midfielder being our target...

No point trading for decent experienced players because they will turn to not be motivated or turn to poo when they come here.

Remember jesse Hogan? Very good at Melbourne , gets traded to the dockers and doesnt care about his career. He gets traded for pick 54 on a one year deal. He strangely pulls his finger out of his bum and revives his career there. He is likely to win the coleman medal now.
Your criticism of Fremantle and Hogan is way out of line.
At Melbourne he was a good player, but a restless young man battling with personal problems.He was a problem for the MFC, so they wre prepared to trade him
At the time it looked like a return home was a good move for Jesse and Fremantle.But sadly, home was no the place Jesse needed to be at hat stage.He was hounded by the media all the time he was here. And by media I mean the local dirty rags that are a blight on journalism.
They constantly showed photos from his Melbourne days and made out they were happening here in Perth.They were like a pack of mongrel dogs.They pursued him relentessly.Hounded him out of town.
He is basically invisible in Sydney. He said that the only people from football that ackowledge him there are Fremantle supporters.I am sure he would have love to succeeed at home, but it wan't to be.
Fremantle FC did everything in their power to make him feel at home. They bent over backwards to help him, but sadly, he needed to help himself more than he needed Fremantles help.
I wish him all the very best for the future. I hope he can lead the agoal kicking for three or four years.He deserves a break.
If you aor nay one is going to bag he or Fremantle, get the story right before making fools of yourselves.

That’s why my favourite player in this draft is…..

Whoever David walls rates highest.
The most elite individual at his craft in the entire football club.
Yep
Not even a question .
I hope he has some sort of dodoro type reign here .

On the flip side If he ever leaves freo before we’ve won a flag reckon that’s it for me

Tracks that Walls identified the best player in that draft. Reckon Butters is another Serong, he'd stay wherever he's drafted. In Walls we trust.

Your criticism of Fremantle and Hogan is way out of line.
At Melbourne he was a good player, but a restless young man battling with personal problems.He was a problem for the MFC, so they wre prepared to trade him
At the time it looked like a return home was a good move for Jesse and Fremantle.But sadly, home was no the place Jesse needed to be at hat stage.He was hounded by the media all the time he was here. And by media I mean the local dirty rags that are a blight on journalism.
They constantly showed photos from his Melbourne days and made out they were happening here in Perth.They were like a pack of mongrel dogs.They pursued him relentessly.Hounded him out of town.
He is basically invisible in Sydney. He said that the only people from football that ackowledge him there are Fremantle supporters.I am sure he would have love to succeeed at home, but it wan't to be.
Fremantle FC did everything in their power to make him feel at home. They bent over backwards to help him, but sadly, he needed to help himself more than he needed Fremantles help.
I wish him all the very best for the future. I hope he can lead the agoal kicking for three or four years.He deserves a break.
If you aor nay one is going to bag he or Fremantle, get the story right before making fools of yourselves.
Got to admit I’m finding this gushing over hogan a bit much lately.
The guy needs to take a bit of personal responsibility for his actions too surely? Even to some degree.
He took the absolute piss while he was here. Had a terrible attitude on the field and by all accounts it wasn’t much better off it.

Yes he had some mental demons and good for him getting though them but at the end of the day he was an absolute nightmare trade for our club. The fact that he’s suddenly grown up and started acting like an adult again in Sydney is galling as a freo fan.

When I see model pros like Adam Cerra get the snide comments for leaving by some freo fans when he was by all accounts a great fella on and off the field, you’d have to wonder.

In some ways it’s a microcosm of human nature. Hogan trashed the club while he was here and gets remembered more fondly than guys that tried their hardest and were model pros. Go figure.

Got to admit I’m finding this gushing over hogan a bit much lately.
The guy needs to take a bit of personal responsibility for his actions too surely? Even to some degree.
He took the absolute piss while he was here. Had a terrible attitude on the field and by all accounts it wasn’t much better off it.

Yes he had some mental demons and good for him getting though them but at the end of the day he was an absolute nightmare trade for our club. The fact that he’s suddenly grown up and started acting like an adult again in Sydney is galling as a freo fan.

When I see model pros like Adam Cerra get the snide comments for leaving by some freo fans when he was by all accounts a great fella on and off the field, you’d have to wonder.

In some ways it’s a microcosm of human nature. Hogan trashed the club while he was here and gets remembered more fondly than guys that tried their hardest and were model pros. Go figure.
100%

Ultimately I blame the club entirely for that debacle (Bell/Ross etc.) but I hold no love for Jesse at all. Great for him personally to turn that around, but I feel nothing beyond what I would for a random stranger in the same situation.

100%

Ultimately I blame the club entirely for that debacle (Bell/Ross etc.) but I hold no love for Jesse at all. Great for him personally to turn that around, but I feel nothing beyond what I would for a random stranger in the same situation.
I think the club at times thought they could solve the problems of all the problem players in the AFL, Sylvia was another, We were almost like a half way house. Theyhad problems, we tried to help them.
I hope those days are all over for us.
But I have no hard time with Hogan now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo and the never ending rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Back