Freo and the never ending rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

I considered the rebuild over when we beat the Dogs in 2022 EF.

Unfortunately there were some loose parts that moved on but overall the structure is fine.

We had to re-plug a few things and let a few other pieces grow but for mine the pieces are there its just exposure and getting better at experiencing & nailing tight games.

Missing the finals this year though would be a setback.

Lobb was the worst trade we have ever done.

We split pick 6 in the super draft to get him.

An absolute disaster.

You obviously don't value list space as I do, as a lot of the rest were just a waste of list space that stopped us recruiting other players.

You don't improve the club by trading out picks during the rebuild, especially when you target old c grade spuds.

I am not sure about Hogan, but we were negligent in not putting more support around him. We knew he had issues, but let him live with anyone.
Absolutely mate. Splitting pick 6 for Lobb was genuine insanity. Have gone into detail before on these boards about how we basically gifted port Adelaide their core midfield for the next decade with this move.
It’s up there with the worst trades ever done by this club.

Absolutely mate. Splitting pick 6 for Lobb was genuine insanity. Have gone into detail before on these boards about how we basically gifted port Adelaide their core midfield for the next decade with this move.
Don’t worry, without the Lobb trade we don’t get Shultz and we don’t get Collingwood F1 which we use to get Bolton, which gives us currency to get Warner.

In fact, if we just draft in 2018 instead of trading in some tall forwards, we are probably missing one of Serong or Young in 2019 and going McCasey instead. Sliding Doors but it really hasn’t cost us anything as you are going to have misses eventually.

They got Rozee (pick 5) and then Butters (12). Durrsma offloaded. Tarryn Thomas, Chayce Jones and Jye Caldwell all went before Butters, so I'd be laying the blame there personally.

Again, the trade needs to be considered as a whole:
1) Ross/Rosich were in restump mode; we had Tabs and then tumbleweed, Lobb presented (always a tease) as a potential elite Fwd/Ruck about to hit prime age - they prioritized this.
2) We were taking Clarke - rightly expected him to fall and saw that we could get him and Lobb plus change for pick 6. That's solid thinking.
3) Lobb was actually OK for us. Essential for structure, and very good in 2022.
4) We got two seconds back for him, and appear to have used them well.

So no, we didn't gift Port anything, neither was this the worst trade we've ever done.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Freo needed a key forward and mature tall forward who could ruck a bit immediately or we would have been rubbish for longer and all that energy around the team right now believing in building something would be gone - along with Serong and Young after Cerra.

Freo has the pieces in place now, we can add some extra talent in midfield rotations, small forwards, half backs, wing etc. If Amiss takes the same step that Treacy did this year we will be laughing, as long as our midfield continues to get in sync with each other and their ability to run out games improves through natural progression.

With trading for hogan and Lobb, we have rozee and king.
With King we probably don’t get one of Amiss or Treacy. He’s also done a knee and misses a lot of goals.

Rozee had a lot of flight risk. He might have gone home by now like Cerra and instead we have a shiny new top draft pick but less development.

There is no way the old crew would have just kept drafting in 2019 onwards either with less wins and jobs on the line. The hogan debacle lead to the changes that finished the rebuild.

We're a crazy mob, us Freo fans.

While some on here are in the pits of despair, I'm as positive about the club as I have been since day dot.

Sure, missing finals this year, in one of the craziest years I can ever remember, would suck, but it's definitely not the end of the world. This list, both in terms of age and personnel, is not a grand final list at this point and was never winning a flag.

The fact that we have oodles of draft/trade capital at our disposal to fill some holes and another year of meat onto some of the scrawny bones we have, will mean the outlook for the next 3-5 years is exceptional.

I still believe our coaching group needs some tinkering, so that is something for the club to focus on in the off season, regardless of what happens with list changes.

Carry on peeps, I'm off, back to the Optimism thread.

I think Ryan Daniels summarised our issue very well, and said we are two quick to trade away picks and don't hit the draft for long enough.

I would say our talent identification is poor as well.
I agree. I think we should be going to the draft this year, which imo is the smart thing to do, get Warner OOC (if it could be done this year he is the only one i would over pay for). I would love Bolton but not for the price he is advertised for and Baker I personally don't rate hope he stays or goes to the dirt birds.

I agree. I think we should be going to the draft this year, which imo is the smart thing to do, get Warner OOC (if it could be done this year he is the only one i would over pay for). I would love Bolton but not for the price he is advertised for and Baker I personally don't rate hope he stays or goes to the dirt birds.
What are we doing in the draft this year? Is there a plug and play small? Fine grab him, otherwise there's no one displacing anyone in the side.

Our firsts currently hold the least value they ever will for us. We're competing now (regardless if we make finals, a blind man could see our trajectory). If we score Warner and Bolton for all 3 firsts, that's a deal you do every day of the week, even if you're passing on a gun. They are guaranteed to improve the team, both in areas of need.

Warner - Explosive mid/fwd
Bolton - Explosive small fwd/mid

We lack crumbers and guys that can snap a goal. Both of these do that an elite level. I would like Bolton to improve his set shot, but outside of that he's a significant upgrade on what we currently have, and has that elusive X-factor.

If you have the opportunity to improve and the trade has value to you, you do it. We have a good hand, and a great situation developing that is making me think we may be able to pull off the double trade in an affordable way (depends how badly Bolton wants back home). We do, and we're moving into favourites territory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow , someone wants to go to the draft more than me😁

I would happily take Baker. I think we need his toughness. Agree with Bolton, think he will cost too much.

If we're shipping supporters that are aggrieved that we mightn't make finals off to the Hawthorn board, can we ship those that keep saying our best can beat anyone, and if it wasn't for injuries we'd be top two, off to the Carlton board? Because that's who they sound like, deluded Carlton fantasists.
As long as we can ship you off to purgatory too

Freo has the pieces in place now, we can add some extra talent in midfield rotations, small forwards, half backs, wing etc. If Amiss takes the same step that Treacy did this year we will be laughing, as long as our midfield continues to get in sync with each other and their ability to run out games improves through natural progression.
agree. Not sure what the fuss is all about. I've been telling people all year we win the cup next year. We're 6th with a young team, only need that one goal kicking mid-forward and a small forward. more games, more experience into the others, used to winning games, it's all about there. We've only been smashed in 3 games this year. 6 losses or draws were 13 points or under. all the top teams have been in the same boat. Most teams at the top aren't from Melbourne. It's all coming together. The rebuild again and sky is falling in crowd can go suck some bags.

At the end of the day it sucks, but hey, that was the choice I made becoming a Fremantle supporter, I'm stuck here for the long run, might as well get behind the boys. Yeah it can be painful, but I like to look at it a bit more positively, it just makes it that much sweeter when we do manage to get up and achieve something, it'll feel like those years of misery paid off.

We're a crazy mob, us Freo fans.

While some on here are in the pits of despair, I'm as positive about the club as I have been since day dot.

Sure, missing finals this year, in one of the craziest years I can ever remember, would suck, but it's definitely not the end of the world. This list, both in terms of age and personnel, is not a grand final list at this point and was never winning a flag.

The fact that we have oodles of draft/trade capital at our disposal to fill some holes and another year of meat onto some of the scrawny bones we have, will mean the outlook for the next 3-5 years is exceptional.

I still believe our coaching group needs some tinkering, so that is something for the club to focus on in the off season, regardless of what happens with list changes.

Carry on peeps, I'm off, back to the Optimism thread.
Some stil suffering fromthe 1994 introduction.
they can be a dim dark gloomy places, Fremantle Dockers fan sites.

With trading for hogan and Lobb, we have rozee and king.
Rozee was pick 5, we had 6.

Whilst good, from Freo's perspective that Top Ten was far from the hit factory; we missed on:

Tarryn Thomas - less said the better
Chayce Jones - wouldn't get a game for us
Blakely - Sydney Academy bid
Bailey Smith - massive flight risk
Ben King - he'd have been nice, but honestly not sure he would've had the impact of Lobb given our shitty forward line at the time.

Blakely and King only real hits there. Smith is a bit fur coat and no knickers for mine. As we're using hindsight, I also wouldn't swap King for Treacy or Amiss.

Top 5 was good, but Lukosius flaky, Rankine's a realised flight risk, and Max King is, at this stage, a bit shit (hope he fulfils his potential).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo and the never ending rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Back