Why can't Sydney pull a crowd?

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone want to know why the Sydney swans don't pull even bigger crowds than they already do - then go to SMH website .

Where is the Sydney Swans article ?
In other sports - at the bottom - some artilce about Bradshaw .
Where's the headline "Swans top of the ladder"
Where's the headline "Swans top clash with Lions"

Anyone want to know why the Sydney swans don't pull even bigger crowds than they already do - then go to SMH website .

Cant help it that everyone wants to read the rugby league news. SMH just knows what gets hits

Nope, I deliberately removed myself because people seemed more interested in me that the topic at hand.

Some decent replies eventually made their way down the pipeline.

Admin instructed me not to engage trouble makers as they will deal with them.

Carry on.
What a dead-set knob-end you are! "Admin instructed me..." like you've got a hotline to the nerve centre of BF, and they're SO interested in your lettuce-limp attempts at trolling. Even other North fans think you are an A grade moron:p

Hardly a surprise at the moment given the Melbourne Storm fiasco.
Rugby League would, barring a Swans premiership, have the first 4-8 pages (depending on the day) of the sport in the paper and the top articles on the website regardless of any current salary cap crises. It's a RL city if you havent noticed.

Much like AFL will always dominate the pages of the paper in Melbourne and the top sport articles on their websites (barring maybe of recent with the salary cap and Melbournes 'premierships,' although I dont view Melbourne papers so wouldnt really know).

It just makes sense. And in that regards the Melbourne Storm face the exact same issues regarding game to game promotion as the Swans do in Sydney. Not much is going to change that.

Rugby League would, barring a Swans premiership, have the first 4-8 pages (depending on the day) of the sport in the paper and the top articles on the website regardless of any current salary cap crises. It's a RL city if you havent noticed.

Much like AFL will always dominate the pages of the paper in Melbourne and the top sport articles on their websites (barring maybe of recent with the salary cap and Melbournes 'premierships,' although I dont view Melbourne papers so wouldnt really know).

It just makes sense. And in that regards the Melbourne Storm face the exact same issues regarding game to game promotion as the Swans do in Sydney. Not much is going to change that.
You do realize I was just having a dig don't you? :) (Actually in hindsight I should have added the appropriate smiley).

I've lived here for 27 years, so I have a fair idea of the sporting landscape and how the media coverage works.

Cant help it that everyone wants to read the rugby league news. SMH just knows what gets hits

No , people want to read the news , news presented in the most independent and unbiased way possible . If you want to read solely about rl get a magazine or one of the other rags .

You might be right about one thing , there's not a lot of people reading about Australian Football in Sydney newspapers because they gave up long ago .
If they want to regain some readers it would be a good idea to post a few more articles - doesn't cost them hardly at all .That's before it's too late as more and more people search out the internet .

I can understand that the continual poor attendance issue in Sydney is a touchy subject for many of you, but I can't see how personally abusing me enlightens us as to the roots of this problem.

What is Sydney doing on a Saturday afternoon?

Have the Swans done extensive market research on this matter?

If so, is it available to the public?

As it stands, there are 4.2 million people in Sydney that are unaccounted for on a Saturday afternoon. Where are they all?

I can understand that the continual poor attendance issue in Sydney is a touchy subject for many of you, but I can't see how personally abusing me enlightens us as to the roots of this problem.

As it stands, there are 4.2 million people in Sydney that are unaccounted for on a Saturday afternoon. Where are they all?

Again, avoiding your home-crowd questions.

But then again, your efforts are admired, even, if they're wrong. But keep trying, it's making us feel good all over and is giving us a good old laugh. :thumbsu:

No , people want to read the news , news presented in the most independent and unbiased way possible . If you want to read solely about rl get a magazine or one of the other rags .

You might be right about one thing , there's not a lot of people reading about Australian Football in Sydney newspapers because they gave up long ago .
If they want to regain some readers it would be a good idea to post a few more articles - doesn't cost them hardly at all .That's before it's too late as more and more people search out the internet .

And as I said, it's no different to the Storm in Melbourne. I'll often hear laments of there being little to no news in the Age regarding the Storm (again, not including the current news) in the Age. It's because in Melbourne AFL is what is going to sell papers, attract hits on the website, much like in Sydney Rugby League is what will sell papers and attract hits on the websites. It's not the ideal way but it wont change in the forseeable future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does it worry you so much, are you jealous of our recent success, or are you trolling.
When we are in Melbourne we seem to out number your supporters, so if you have 30,000 members where are they. We have about 9,000 to 10,000 members here and i would think most would go plus a fair number that arn't would go, so in last weeks crowd we probably had the majority.
You are persistant , i will give you that, but its maybe time for your next thread.

Again, avoiding your home-crowd questions.

This thread is not about North Melbourne, but I will entertain this question otherwise you will most likely persist with hijacking my thread.

I just did a quick mathematical calculation which showed up a startling anomaly.

If we take the population of Sydney and divide it by the Swans membership figure for 2009 we get: 4,500,000/26269 = 171.3

If we the take Melbourne population figure and divide it by 171.3 we get: 4,000,000/171.3 = 23,350

North Melbourne's membership for 2009 was 30,613.

North is tracking at a superior overall membership tally of almost 25% when gauged against the local population and whilst competing against 9 other clubs for the local market.

Some food for thought.

And as I said, it's no different to the Storm in Melbourne.

You are joking - aren't you ?

Even knowing the News owns the Storm and they getting 11k crowds I was still amazed at the level of press for the drizzle .

Lets see , in Sydney.
AFL is under other sports - don't even have their own heading .
The Swans pull crowds in excess of the biggest nrl team .
They're on a winning streak .
They're at the top of the table .
Next week will be a top of the table clash .
Yet the swans don't receive as much as the most insignificant rl game .
get real .

Crowds in Sydney this week

40k to 1st ever super 14 game at anz. "derby" NSW v ACT
36k to the NRL's anzac equivalent to Ess/Coll
28K to Swans v WC
<all other NRL games>

And may I say the most quietest, least interested in sport 40,000 people I have ever heard. The 28,000 at the Swans made a right old racket in the Victor Trumper stand.

What are you talking about? 28,000 is a good crowd in the Sydney Market. Compare the crowd to some of the NRL local derby's to get a fair and non bias idea.

Continually resorting to the excuse of comparing Rugby League to Australian Rules is a bit like attempting to come up with an intelligent argument by comparing dung sandwiches to truffles.

It is a cop out.

Pauline_Hanson.jpg

Good question Cos.

FMD Y bring Rugby League into it? U want to compare figures? Swans got 28K the next day, next door St George V Roosters got 36K. Swans rated 55k on tv n the AFL Anzac game rated under 50k lol enough said.

its not RL that is the issue. It is the sydney populations lack of support for events in general.

Look at RL crowds in general - often 4-15k and huge free ticket give aways. Also no audited numbers just PR releases. Thus a reported crowd of 30k may only be 20. This dosnt say there is no interest in the NRL but people dont attend matches - it is a TV game.

The swans give away plenty fo tickets as well.

My view is that swans crowds are good in the context of the market, but the grass roots support for AFL is quite low in Sydney.

going to footy is more of a cultural thing in melb then syd.
melb has better stadium, public transport for one. scg is very far for many people to go..

it was sat afternoon, every kid playing sat sport so not many families there. sat game, or sun games prob better in syd.
long weekend - people going away

sat was warm day - people go to beach, picnic (cheaper option for families), and last chance to swim before winter.'

west coast eagles bottom of table, crowds will better against bigger melbourne sides.
in late 90's crowds used to be 35k average, so if syd keep winning, crowds will pick up especially to see Jetta.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why can't Sydney pull a crowd?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back