Why do Cats chumps think 3/5 is better than 3 in a row?

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly - 3 out of 5 is an amazing achievement, well done Handbaggers, your boyfriends must be proud. :thumbsu:

But seriously, the Brisbane team of 01-03 are the greatest team of all time.

When Handbaggers try to rationalize that 3/5 means that they were great over a longer period I can't help but be embarrassed for them. It's like their trying to make a poor excuse as to why their team didn't have the heart or ability to back it up in consecutive years like Brissie.

If the Hawks win the 2012 flag, I'll crap on about how they will be up there with Brisbane coz it shows greater consistency to back it up from 2008. :eek:

Brisbane 01-03 > Hawks 80's > Cats 07-11.

lol, why would the Hawks from the 80s even get a mention in this? No draft or salary cap restrictions and putting that side together almost bankrupted the club and almost forced them into a merger with Melgorn. :eek:

I'm overwhelmed by the relevance. Most of that Brisbane dynasty was part of the side that won the wooden spoon in 1998. Most of the Geelong players 'circa 07 - 11 who were playing in that game were still on their p plates.

The avg. age of that Geelong side was 24 years / 35 days.

Wojcinski, Scarlett, Mooney, Milburn, Enright, Corey, Chapman, Harley, Hunt & Steve Johnson were all 22 or older. Only Ablett & Bartel (20) could be considered on their P Plates, not the other.

Even more interesting is that the avg. age of the Collingwood 2010 premiership side was 24 years / 42 days.

Why is youth an excuse for Geelong here? Did Collingwood P Plates in the 2010 GF stop them from winning the Premiership?

Is the fact that Geelong, who were as young as Collingwood in 2010, were unable to defeat Brisbane in 2004 as opposed to an equally young Collingwood side being able to defeat Geelong in 2010 the final confirmation that Geelong were / are vastly inferior to Brisbane of the early 00's?

Which five year period are you going with, then? Your choices would be 2000-2004 or 2001-2005.

Who said a five year period?

Their dynasty lasted longer than that, and achieved both a greater period of sustained excellence AND a higher level of achievement. It's only that their prelim/GF failures fall on the periphery of their flag success that it gets forgotten. 2004 is Geelong's 2008, 1999 is Geelong's 2010, etc. Only the Lions won 3 in a row and Geelong just 1.

No tears about the three Geelong premierships in the past five years from your end though, I gather? Good for you. Thanks for creating the thread; it's good to see you having a go.

Barefoot_cheese_plate.jpg

You can always tell when that the tears are setting in when Geelong supporters take this angle. :eek:
Doc Brown - another Hawks flog who actually believe they can bait Cats Supporters with this sort of fiction. Now hear this douche - we don't care if we are a dynasty , great or the best of all time or too cool for school - we are very content with what our Team has achieved. To have won 3 flags in 5 years during a period of sustained success is more than most of us long time fans ever dreamed , further we should be competitive again this season so happy days !! Oh , before you mention 08 - yes it did hurt as all lost GF's do , but the 09 & 11 Flags have somewhat dulled that pain........

Doc Brown - another Hawks flog who actually believe they can bait Cats Supporters with this sort of fiction. Now hear this douche - we don't care if we are a dynasty , great or the best of all time or too cool for school - we are very content with what our Team has achieved. To have won 3 flags in 5 years during a period of sustained success is more than most of us long time fans ever dreamed , further we should be competitive again this season so happy days !! Oh , before you mention 08 - yes it did hurt as all lost GF's do , but the 09 & 11 Flags have somewhat dulled that pain........

Yes, dipshits that don't care about something spout off an angry rant.

Makes perfect sense. :eek:

The avg. age of that Geelong side was 24 years / 35 days.

Wojcinski, Scarlett, Mooney, Milburn, Enright, Corey, Chapman, Harley, Hunt & Steve Johnson were all 22 or older. Only Ablett & Bartel (20) could be considered on their P Plates, not the other.

Even more interesting is that the avg. age of the Collingwood 2010 premiership side was 24 years / 42 days.

Why is youth an excuse for Geelong here? Did Collingwood P Plates in the 2010 GF stop them from winning the Premiership?

1. Because it was the first meaningful finals campaign (i.e. beyond one week) for the majority of the players.

2. Because Charlie Gardiner, Ben Graham, David Haynes, David Johnson, Kent Kingsley, Paul Koulouriotis, Brent Moloney and Peter Riccardi played. In other words, well over a third of the team that took the field that night never played in a premiership for the Geelong Football Club. Your memory may be a little hazy, but the 2004 team was nothing like the 2007 team, let alone the 2011 team.

3. Because only Joel Corey, Matthew Scarlett, Josh Hunt (a decent player and nothing more, truth be told) and Cameron Ling of the 2011 premiership players were producing anything like what they were in their primes in 2004. Ablett, Bartel, Chapman, Steve Johnson and Enright turned themselves from average/decent players into stars of the competition over the next three years. James Kelly (a 2011 All-Australian) wasn't playing that night either.

Who said a five year period?

Their dynasty lasted longer than that, and achieved both a greater period of sustained excellence AND a higher level of achievement. It's only that their prelim/GF failures fall on the periphery of their flag success that it gets forgotten. 2004 is Geelong's 2008, 1999 is Geelong's 2010, etc. Only the Lions won 3 in a row and Geelong just 1.

But their chain is broken, either in 2000 (by a truly embarrassing finals performance) or in 2005, by missing the finals altogether. I'm talking about a continuous period of excellence. Winning seventeen games and ultimately finishing third qualifies, in my book; limping into the finals and getting thrashed in the early weeks doesn't. And of course, Geelong's era may not be finished yet, so it's really a pointless exercise.

But their chain is broken, either in 2000 (by a truly embarrassing finals performance) or in 2005, by missing the finals altogether.

Missing finals would be breaking the chain, finishing 6th not, particularly when losing to the 2nd best team that year. Brisbane always 'limped' into finals to some extent, never finished first on the ladder in their premiership years.

Moreover, the continued finals appearances of Brisbane contributes to their sustained period of success, and it's superior to Geelong's. Therefore their finals appearance in 2000 cannot be overlooked.

I'm talking about a continuous period of excellence.

No you're not, your wording was sustained period of excellence. Sustained is not necessarily contiguous.

Winning seventeen games and ultimately finishing third qualifies, in my book

Who cares whether you think it qualifies as 'excellence'? Your assessment in this case is subjective. I've shown you the objective indicators, and Brisbane is well ahead but over a longer period of time and in terms of higher achievement.

Missing finals would be breaking the chain, finishing 6th not, particularly when losing to the 2nd best team that year. Brisbane always 'limped' into finals to some extent, never finished first on the ladder in their premiership years.

Was Essendon an excellent team in 2009? Was Geelong an excellent team in 2000? I think you'll find that most people agree that the teams from 5-8 on the ladder are simply making up the numbers in finals. To be a contender, you have to finish top four (as has been the case since the current finals system was introduced).

Moreover, the continued finals appearances of Brisbane contributes to their sustained period of success, and it's superior to Geelong's. Therefore their finals appearance in 2000 cannot be overlooked.

Whatever. Unless Geelong somehow misses the finals this year, it will be six finals series in a row apiece, with the Cats having a good chance to also finish top two for the sixth year in a row, make their fifth grand final in six years and win their fourth premiership in six years. I wonder what you'd say then...

No you're not, your wording was sustained period of excellence. Sustained is not necessarily contiguous.

Semantics...

sus·tain
verb (used with object)
to keep up or keep going, as an action or process: to sustain a conversation.

Main Entry: sustained
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: maintained
Synonyms: backed, constant, continued, continuous , supported, uninterrupted

con·tin·u·ous
adjective
uninterrupted in time; without cessation: continuous coughing during the concert.
being in immediate connection or spatial relationship: a continuous series of blasts; a continuous row of warehouses.

Who cares whether you think it qualifies as 'excellence'? Your assessment in this case is subjective. I've shown you the objective indicators, and Brisbane is well ahead but over a longer period of time and in terms of higher achievement.

You're saying that finishing sixth on the ladder (12-10) and losing a semi-final by over eighty points is part of a sustained/continued period of excellence. I'd say that's debatable.

I really don't understand why Geelong fans allow themselves to be trolled this easily.

I read the Hawks board, I just don't post on it - same with the other team boards and the main board...

This guy is supposedly a Hawks supporter, but he doesn't post on the Hawthorn Board.

There's another troll (or quite possibly the same one) who has created a WCE alias and keeps starting threads about why the WCE should be awarded the 2005 flag. Apparently he doesn't post on the WCE Board.

It's one thing to get involved in a Hogdpodge or Hyperdonk thread, they at least use their 'real' BF name and have a posting history.

Trolls using newly created aliases are something else entirely.
Ignore them and eventually they will get bored.
Reply to them* and they will keep trolling.

*Yes I do realise the irony.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't understand why Geelong fans allow themselves to be trolled this easily.

This guy is supposedly a Hawks supporter, but he doesn't post on the Hawthorn Board.

There's another troll (or quite possibly the same one) who has created a WCE alias and keeps starting threads about why the WCE should be awarded the 2005 flag. Apparently he doesn't post on the WCE Board.

It's one thing to get involved in a Hogdpodge or Hyperdonk thread, they at least use their 'real' BF name and have a posting history.

Trolls using newly created aliases are something else entirely.
Ignore them and eventually they will get bored.
Reply to them* and they will keep trolling.

*Yes I do realise the irony.

:thumbsu:

I don't think they are. You could argue that doc bumhole is getting spanked by all and sundry in here. Geelong posters are just toying with him. You can actually see the veins starting to come through doc bumhole's forehead.

Was Essendon an excellent team in 2009? Was Geelong an excellent team in 2000?

Essendon finished 8th in 2009. If you're going to argue you can stop being disingenuous.

Whatever. Unless Geelong somehow misses the finals this year, it will be six finals series in a row apiece, with the Cats having a good chance to also finish top two for the sixth year in a row, make their fifth grand final in six years and win their fourth premiership in six years. I wonder what you'd say then...

They can go equal on consecutive finals appearances, will still fall well behind on consecutive GF appearances, GF premierships, and what not.

Semantics...

sus·tain

Synonyms: backed, constant, continued, continuous , supported, uninterrupted

Rod for your own back? You've just provided the biggest argument against Geelong, that their success wasn't contiguous.

For what it's worth, continuous can be a definition of sustained, what I said was it wasn't necessarily the definition.

You're saying that finishing sixth on the ladder (12-10) and losing a semi-final by over eighty points is part of a sustained/continued period of excellence. I'd say that's debatable.

Not at all, I said that consecutive finals appearances are a level of success that Brisbane sustained longer than Geelong.

It barely matters what you perceive as THE benchmark for success since . . .

On premierships, GFs, finals appearances, Brisbane are well ahead in terms of sustained success.

Doc Brown getting bitch slapped. Ahahahaha :D:thumbsu:

*waiting for another try hard remark.*

I don't think they are. You could argue that doc bumhole is getting spanked by all and sundry in here. Geelong posters are just toying with him. You can actually see the veins starting to come through doc bumhole's forehead.

I love it when flogs who still wear my bootprint on their arseh*le come running into my threads in a blubbering mess. :D

You should take pride in that bootprint butt boy - it's like a badge of honor I've bestowed upon you. :thumbsu:

You might want to try a rebuttal or even explain why the Hawks have been so mediocre since the 08 GF ?

Rebut what you speck of fly shit? Your angry rant? :eek:

In my line of business, you learn early to not bother with chumps that are blind with fury such as yourself.

Fact of the matter is, we have been far, far better than Hawthorn this decade. As have Brisbane.
When you can come anywhere near matching either of the teams, then come sprouting about it.

Fact of the matter is, we have been far, far better than Hawthorn this decade. As have Brisbane.
When you can come anywhere near matching either of the teams, then come sprouting about it.

"My team is better than your team."

A compelling argument from a man who just climbed off his cousin and a goat. Well done. :thumbsu:

PS: Sprouting? :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do Cats chumps think 3/5 is better than 3 in a row?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back