Society/Culture Why do less intelligent people gravitate to conservative/right wing ideology.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Daily Mail article reports upon a study by Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario, Canada. (another Canadian Academic Psychologist but without a youtube presence). He looked at data from 2 UK studies testing child development. The subjects were
(a) 4,267 boys and 4,537 girls born in 1958;
(b) 3,412 boys and 3,658 girls born in 1970.

The tests were of
(c) verbal and non verbal intelligence; and
(d) cognitive abilities (number recall, shape-drawing tasks, defining words and identifying patterns and similarities among words).

In both surveys, 23 years later, the same groups were asked to answer a series of questions about traditions, authority and attitudes toward other races. Hodson then postulated a definition of conservatism which is undefined but looks to be based upon attitudes towards Authority and other races and concluded that low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservtive ideologies.

I’d very cautious about accepting the conclusions drawn by Grin and his gaggle of applauders from the article helpfully posted by Mofra
So would I.

Here's a meta-analysis that's far more wide ranging.

There is a significant body of work on the subject. Assuming the entire concept is based off a single study is folly.

The argy-bargy between your typical "left" and "right" wingers is absolute gold for the people pulling the strings behind the curtain.
People accepting this rubbish 2-party crap and fighting over the most minor differences must make them laugh themselves silly!

Both left and right are the same people, where it matters.

As long as who ever is in control of the country do what their frikn told when their masters tell them, it wont matter who is Prime Minister. And historically, every PM has done what they were told since Whitlam. You think it matters if libs or labour are in power? they both do what they are told by the finance sector, they both send Australians to die in wars when they are told, they both do everything they are told to by their corporate "donors" (ie: legalised bribery) and they both do * all for the actual people who vote for them.

There is nothing "Democratic" about our 2-party system.
I guess that's why both parties hate the Greens so much. Can't have a party that represents the interests of the majority gaining power.

I guess that's why both parties hate the Greens so much. Can't have a party that represents the interests of the majority gaining power.
the Greens used to focus on environmental/social justice issues, but now they are a back door for mainstream politics. they think they are one of the big guys and act accordingly. Once Scott Ludlam was forced out, the part went to shyte

How we haven't seen a decent middle of the road alternative is beyond me.

I won't be voting for either party, unless I have no other option.

What would be middle of the road though?

The LNP is moving right and capturing the One Nation style voter, the Teal Independents are basically the 'moderate' conservative candidates right now, the ALP is nominally the 'left' wing party but doesn't actually do a heap of stuff that would be considered genuinely left-wing, just stuff the LNP shouts is left-wing.

Everyone still tip-toes around the wealthy and multi-nationals though. Maybe as the older voter bloc dies off and the demographics coming through don't swing as conservative it'll force a more significant re-think of the political landscape?

The LNP is moving right and capturing the One Nation style voter, the Teal Independents are basically the 'moderate' conservative candidates right now, the ALP is nominally the 'left' wing party but doesn't actually do a heap of stuff that would be considered genuinely left-wing, just stuff the LNP shouts is left-wing.

Everyone still tip-toes around the wealthy and multi-nationals though. Maybe as the older voter bloc dies off and the demographics coming through don't swing as conservative it'll force a more significant re-think of the political landscape?
i'd vote for a party that wanted to do what was good for Australia, not for a second country like USA

i'd vote for a party that wanted to do what was good for Australia, not for a second country like USA

You can't really run an isolationist agenda, I think the LNP has made a sensible move by looking to amend relationships with China given they're our largest trading partner and reinvigorate relationships in the Asia-Pacific region, whilst still maintaining a strong relationship with the US for example.

Yeah, tend to agree, the teals probably stole seats that a more centred (or even centre right) would have taken

Problem is not all of us have a teal to vote for or one capable of unseating a sitting MP from a larger party.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teals are considered centre-right aren't they?
Teals are financially like the LNP but want action on climate change and some social issues. If the LNP liked women more, liked LGBT+ people more and at least matched Labor on climate issues then the Teals wouldn't exist.

Teals will cut your balls off for financial reasons but then plant a tree instead of laughing at you like the LNP

Surely you’d have to be low iq to actually believe in either left or right? If you are older than 20 you have no intellectual excuse for not realising party politics is a scam in which compromised leaders are chosen by oligarchs who sponsor both parties to enable the Plutocracy we really have !

Surely you’d have to be low iq to actually believe in either left or right? If you are older than 20 you have no intellectual excuse for not realising party politics is a scam in which compromised leaders are chosen by oligarchs who sponsor both parties to enable the Plutocracy we really have !
images (6).jpeg

The modern right are savages, high art for them is dogs playing cards and smoking cigars.
The left are vandals, they never saw something beautiful they couldn’t destroy! So I just thought I’d play lefty righty for a post! Did I do good ?

Last edited:
I reckon it might be because their interests are narrow in focus. Self- interest is paramount and it’s a hip pocket is critical thing. So that reduces them to a limited span of ideas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Why do less intelligent people gravitate to conservative/right wing ideology.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back