Why do people rate Pavlich ahead of Riewoldt ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pavlich. The complete player, the only thing riewoldt has on him is his running ability.

I disagree with the sentiments that riewoldt is the better player in big games. I remember clearly his last finals performance and it was as though he didnt even play

Pavlich. The complete player, the only thing riewoldt has on him is his running ability.

I disagree with the sentiments that riewoldt is the better player in big games. I remember clearly his last finals performance and it was as though he didnt even play

Oh so you missed the 5 goals he dominated Collingwood with in the semi final?

Keep watching.:thumbsu:

He's gonna kill himself one day Riewoldt - thats a seriously dangerous mark....I had forgotten how good that was.

No doubt Riewoldt is underrated and thats ok. I laugh at the "Pavs got 6 AA"....sorry but he was gifted the last and that as a measure is equivalent to saying Shane Woewodin was better than Wayne Carey cause he won a Brownlow.....doesnt prove much.

Riewoldt IMHO has it all over Pavlich, Browne, Buddy,Fevola - anyone else for 1 simple reason......he is brilliantly consistent. He has a bad game if he kicks less than 3 and takes less than 10 grabs.....had Riewoldt not played the way he did last year there is no way we'd have made top4 - the side was just going. Pav is a great player - no where near as consistent.

As for engines.....sorry Pav....you lose here also...Riewoldts a freak - he gets so many of those grabs on the lead from3 and 4 efforts after which his opponent cant go with him.....I watched Taylor on sunday struggle and get frustrated at times.......(its harder when you stop Harley getting across to give you chop outs....;))

Richo at his best is closest to Riewoldt IMHO.

And Ive never heard Roo say "cmon boys get your superman capes on...."...:D
Definitely should be what is in the dictionary after the word ...commitment. Inspirational mark and one of the best I've ever seen.:thumbsu:

The only problem I have with Riewoldt is that if he always tries to mark the ball on his chest when the ball is placed infront of him. He never really puts his arms out to take it with his hands, instead he will take the easy option and grab it in his chest.

Other than his marking, I think he rates above Pavlich with his consistency.

Riewoldt IMHO has it all over Pavlich, Browne, Buddy,Fevola
Someone just made a mess of their pants. Buddy shouldnt even be considered for this argument. It's too close to say Riewoldt 'has it all over' the others. I think Tredrea was clearly the best of the current era, but the majority of people seem to completely forget him in this argument.

correct.

pound for pound the best player going around.

What a load of rubbish, wouldn't be in the top 5 players so far this season (even before his injury) perhaps not even top 10 ...

It's Riewoldt, Judd and Ablett Jnr (not in that order btw) who have been the top 3 players in the league this season by a considerable margain.

What a load of rubbish, wouldn't be in the top 5 players so far this season (even before his injury) perhaps not even top 10 ...
Haha, I don't have him in the top 50 this season at the moment.:eek:

It's Riewoldt, Judd and Ablett Jnr (not in that order btw) who have been the top 3 players in the league this season by a considerable margain.
Hayes ahead of Judd in my opinion.

Riewoldts record in crunch/big games is much more impressive then Pavlich...

Never understood how this has become part of bigfooty folklore.

In the biggest game Pav has ever played, the 06 prelim, he had 17 touches, 10 marks, and kicked 4 goals from CHF and (along with Bell) almost singlehandedly kept us in the game. That's only 3 touches and 1 goal off Riewoldt's game against the Pies in the finals last year, which keeps getting brought up as an example of what a superstar performer in big games he is. Except Pav managed it up forward in a team that was being soundly beaten around the rest of the ground.

Or you could ask Roos fans what they think of his ability in crunch games after he destroyed them in the last quarter at the MCG in 2003. In a game we desperately needed to win to make the finals for the first time ever, Pav singlehandedly won the game off his own boot with a devastating last quarter that got us home by 1 point. They don't come much more crunch than that.

Maybe you could even point to his two Glendinning medal for BOGs in derbies - which is generally the biggest H&A game for Freo most years. If Collingwood and Essendon are allowed to use their little derby as an example of players performing in big games then so are we. ;)

Not knocking Riewoldt because he's obviously an elite player and has had a better year then Pav this year, but there seems to be a myth that Pav can't perform in big games just because he hasn't had the chance to play many finals. The truth is he has won so many games off his own boot for us that even us Freo supporters can't remember them all. A couple of missed 4th quarter goals last year doesn't change that - except in the minds of some opposition supporters who only remember the bad and never the good.

?? Riewoldt was arguably the best player in 2004 and I think he has been a gun since, but to say he has only had one good year is ridiculous. It's too hard to say one is far better than the other.

I did forget about 2004 however it was another year where the team played fantastic finishing 3rd. What im saying is Pavlich is more far more consistant and doesn't require playing on a good team to be a superstar. His 6 all australian awards are proof of his consistancy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pavlich ahead of Riewoldt.

Coaches would love to have a bigger bodied CHF, who can go to midfield/back and win contested ball by himself. The prototype of a modern footballer. If you just rate both players on their ability and how versatile they are, Pavlich has more strings to his bow.

Nothing against Riewoldt, but I cant see him play midfield. Well he doesnt have to, he has enough ball winners around him already. Pavlich does, and does a very good job, I'll take him any day.

Pavlich ahead of Riewoldt.

Coaches would love to have a bigger bodied CHF, who can go to midfield/back and win contested ball by himself. The prototype of a modern footballer. If you just rate both players on their ability and how versatile they are, Pavlich has more strings to his bow.

Nothing against Riewoldt, but I cant see him play midfield. Well he doesnt have to, he has enough ball winners around him already. Pavlich does, and does a very good job, I'll take him any day.

I tried to get my head around that and tried to imagine how the Saints would go if we swapped the 2 players....I honestly believe the swap would disadvantage the Saints. Roos work up the grd is exemplary so I'm not sure how many strings are needed.

I tried to get my head around that and tried to imagine how the Saints would go if we swapped the 2 players....I honestly believe the swap would disadvantage the Saints. Roos work up the grd is exemplary so I'm not sure how many strings are needed.

As I said, you have a brilliant midfield so Roo has to worry only about F50 and lead further up. Try imagining Riewoldt playing for Fremantle with no proper delivery into the F50. Will give you a better conclusion.

EDIT: to keep it more simple, Pavlich can take Riewoldt's role in saints and do a very good, if not brilliant job of it. On the other hand Riewoldt wont be able to do what Pavlich is doing in fremantle - which is play everywhere. Makes the choice simple, really.

As I said, you have a brilliant midfield so Roo has to worry only about F50 and lead further up. Try imagining Riewoldt playing for Fremantle with no proper delivery into the F50. Will give you a better conclusion.

I understand what you are trying to say but maintain the swap would still disadvantage the Saints, Roo is still a better target up forward imo.
and If our midfield was not as good as you say all forwards would suffer but not as much as Roo, the guy is everywhere.

EDIT: to keep it more simple, Pavlich can take Riewoldt's role in saints and do a very good, if not brilliant job of it. On the other hand Riewoldt wont be able to do what Pavlich is doing in fremantle - which is play everywhere. Makes the choice simple, really.
Roo can so yes the choice is simple..

Roo can so yes the choice is simple..

Now its bordering, LALALALA * not listening * LALALALA !! :)

As a saints supporter you say he can, as a neutral IMO he cant. Lets just agree to disagree.

Just to keep things clear, if the argument involved Brown, I would be equally biased, so I can see where you are coming from. :thumbsu:

Now its bordering, LALALALA * not listening * LALALALA !! :)

As a saints supporter you say he can, as a neutral IMO he cant. Lets just agree to disagree.

Just to keep things clear, if the argument involved Brown, I would be equally biased, so I can see where you are coming from. :thumbsu:

I tried to be as unbiased as I could;)
I seriously believe that Roo would be a better fit in the Saints side atm, there must be other oppo supporters on here that would agree with that.

PS Brown? Now that's bias ;)

2 great, great players.

I would agree that Riewoldt is a better contested mark than Pav, but I think Pav is normally a better kick for goal despite the examples that the OP mentioned. Fev hit the post when he could have won the game earlier this year so he is obviously a useless shot at goal.

Comparisons are always difficult. I watch Pav every week and have very rarely been let down by his performances. Riewoldt is also a genuine superstar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people rate Pavlich ahead of Riewoldt ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back