Why do people think the Pies are so far ahead?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn lost Croad, Crawford, Campbell, Williams & Dew almost immediately after the GF. Their challenger in 08' still had a very high level of football ahead of it. This cannot be said for the challengers in 2010 that were closest to Collingwood.

hahaha
seriously. as one other poster has already pointed out. The first GF goes for 60 seconds longer, and the Saints are Premiers... Some Pies fans living in a delude state brought about from huffing way too much glue/paint.

hahaha
seriously. as one other poster has already pointed out. The first GF goes for 60 seconds longer, and the Saints are Premiers... Some Pies fans living in a delude state brought about from huffing way too much glue/paint.

IFs, IFs and more IFs.

IF Collingwood had taken their chances in GF1 it would have been an exact replica of what happened in GF2 and there would have been no need for a replay. The fact that the Saints got so close was a misrepresentation of the difference between the two teams ala Geelong vs Collingwood (round 17 IIRC) where we "only" defeated you by 22 points.

Face facts, the best team in season 2010 won the premiership. There was no lucky or bradbury like victory.

IFs, IFs and more IFs.

IF Collingwood had taken their chances in GF1 it would have been an exact replica of what happened in GF2 and there would have been no need for a replay. The fact that the Saints got so close was a misrepresentation of the difference between the two teams ala Geelong vs Collingwood (round 17 IIRC) where we "only" defeated you by 22 points.

Face facts, the best team in season 2010 won the premiership. There was no lucky or bradbury like victory.

relax champ. no one is saying it was a bradbury or that the pies weren't the best team in '10. But to say that no one team was even close to them from the top 4 is simply ridiculous and ludicrous given that you tied the first grand final. insane.

relax champ. no one is saying it was a bradbury or that the pies weren't the best team in '10. But to say that no one team was even close to them from the top 4 is simply ridiculous and ludicrous given that you tied the first grand final. insane.

what happened to the saints in GF2 then?, was that a misrepresentation of the 2 sides?, remember, we blew you guys away!!, should've been a 100 point drubbing IMO, we blew the dogs away!!, again, the soreboard flattered the dogs, we were a 10 goal better side than the next best team IMO and GF 2 proved that.

TBH I think Freo could potentially challenge them, maybe not next year but in 2012, and Hawthorn in all honesty could challenge Collingwood next year with a good run of injuries, but Collingwood are still for me the clear flag favourite next year.

They will be hoping we don't play them in the finals though ;) .

what happened to the saints in GF2 then?, was that a misrepresentation of the 2 sides?, remember, we blew you guys away!!, should've been a 100 point drubbing IMO, we blew the dogs away!!, again, the soreboard flattered the dogs, we were a 10 goal better side than the next best team IMO and GF 2 proved that.

You're a hilarious douche. Pretty sure it's past your bedtime. 1 min more in GF 1 and the Saints were Premiers.

You're a hilarious douche. Pretty sure it's past your bedtime. 1 min more in GF 1 and the Saints were Premiers.

Perhaps, but it's mere speculation.

To rephrase:

In order for the second best side to break even with Collingwood, they needed inaccuracy and a poor performance across the board from their opponent. When Collingwood was "on", they were blown away like the rest.

Of course, any side can win on the day, it's just one game. But we're clearly the best side. Clearly.

I don't think its a case of us being that far ahead, but more that the teams believed to be strongest challengers for 2011 are expected to slide. Pies are young and still have some upswing in them whereas most see the others as ageing lists about to go on a down swing. Particularly with some of the loses their lists have suffered this off season. Of the other 4 finalists I don't think they made trades to cover big losses or significant boosts to be viewed as strong contenders. I think thats what it comes down to with many touting us as being far ahead favourites.

I'm not sure what to make of Freo for next year. Assuming Barlow gets back up to speed by the finals and they get JA back to being a 50 goal season forward I can see them doing a bit of damage in the finals. Will they be strong enough...I'm not sure right now. I guess the question with them is can the wave of youth that carried them this year back it up? My knowledge of the Freo list isn't good enough to know one way or the other.

Dogs are another side I'm looking forward to seeing next year. I wonder whether the gains can exceed or match the losses to their list. They may be better next year than this year with Aker gone and an injection of young players who have been in the system a few years. Could turn out to be the boost they needed or it could take a couple of years to come together.

The other side I'm unsure about is the Dees who have been getting top draft picks for years so they should have another wave of youth to come through next year. Surely with so many good draft picks over the years they've got the firepower and depth to make the leap into finals. Expectations will be that they do. Dees are a danger side for us so yeah here's hoping they don't make the eight or at least get knocked out before facing us!

Coming from the biggest douche on this whole web site... I LOVE the fact that a Collingwood flag pains you sooo much... You would have been one of those guys that trolled our great club relentlessly, well it will probably get worse over the coming years for you, with even less scope for trolling. If we can win a couple more, whoever wins flags whilst our window is later shut, I would be comfortable if it was Carlton or Essendon... Would have no problems. It's amazing to think that you would hate Collingwood so much despite Geelong's recent success... Really am amazed by that. Your attitude on the Beams and J-Mac case given your clear bias and hatred of all things Collingwood was absolutely disgusting. What are your views now that, (and you had them penciled in for rape as if it was a clear cut case from the beginning despite knowing nothing) that they have not been charged and are in fact whitnesses for the prosecution?

It's amazing that a Collingwood flag has made you so angry... wow... suck it up douche... Will could well go back to back too... :)

hahaha
This is hilarious. Despite the fact that most people know St Kilda did dominate most of the final quarter, the simple fact is that Collingwood dominated the last 5 or 6 minutes. Look at the inside 50's and scores in the last 6 minutes. I think you'll find that St Kilda were very happy to hear that siren.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since I still have the recording of the drawn grand final on my PVR I thought it would be worthwhile to finally confirm something that others have been saying once and for all. Just to finally shut those idiots up who continually raise that crap about St Kilda winning the drawn GF if it went for a minute longer, here are the actual stats for the final 6 minutes of the drawn GF.

Inside 50's: Collingwood - 5, St Kilda - 2
Shots on goal: Collingwood - 4, St Kilda - 0
Goals: Collingwood - 1, St Kilda - 0
Behinds: Collingwood - 1, St Kilda - 0

So in fact, any idiot who reckons St Kilda would have won if the game went another minute is clearly a total tosser. The Saints were praying on their knees for that final siren when it came and the stats in that little story tell no lies. Go on... Deny it!

No takers? Surprise surprise... When the facts come out the trolls go missing!

they'll just hang their hat on maxwell saying we were in trouble if the game went to extra time, he was just being diplomatic IMO, pretty sure roo would've said the same thing, i for one was happy to hear the siren (although i did think extra time would be played) i think fans on both sides were.

even if you're right, the game didnt go for an extra minute did it?, as the above posters already pointed out, we were the ones attacking the most in the final minutes.

so much for your dynasty too, fact is, if we win next year we already eclipse your "dynasty", and we will my boy, we will!!

Excellent post in the main.

Fremantle have the running game and the foot skills to break through Collingwood's great press. By adding another forward you will be able to utilise two tall marking players on the way up the ground which will aid you with players getting into trouble they will have targets to go to.

The biggest problem remains the finals experience and lifting to that intensity outside of Perth for the finals.

But in terms of ability and game plan Fremantle are the closest to getting the pies next year.

Freo may be 12-24 months away.

but if they finish top 2 and get home prelim they could be a real show.

Why? your team took a HUGE leap in 2010 you lost a final to the cats by 12 goals in 09 fast forward 1 year later you beat them by a comfortable margin.

Fact is even the mighty Geelong couldnt go back to back a lot can happen in one season.

Collingwood are like Geelong in 2007....all things came together for a young team. All of our premiership players will play again in 2011.

In 2009 we made the PF, and to the PF side that lost by 10 goals we added Pendlebury, D.Jolly and L.Ball. In addition to improvement from younger guys.

Which sides can say they have added 3 A-graders to their team in the off-season this year??

Collingwood will make the top 4, even likely top 2 in 2011.

Don't know how far ahead they are of other sides, but Collingwood will be better next year. Barring injury, those lesser types that people have been talking about will be notching up between 50-70 games next year and will be better after another pre season.

Talk of Saints being mentally and physically tired in the second GF is an excuse. Pies handled it better. Ball's groin was screwed and Pendlebury lost 5kg leading up to the first GF.

* Yes that Milne Vs Johnno bounce- well if cloke had kicked those 2 goals before halftime then GF 1 could have been over at half time.

Pies are a very good side. They deserve to be favourites in 2011 and have every chance to win it. but there will be about 8 other sides who could surprise.

Collingwood found another gear in the latter part of 2010. Their intensity was amazing. Dunno if they will be able to do that again.
A major issue post premiership given the game plan. Some competition for spots helps but if a number of players drop off 5% it makes a huge difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people think the Pies are so far ahead?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back