Why do you love the NMFC

Remove this Banner Ad

fresh off the boat, on the first day of school (1980)...About 50 kids descended on me at recess screaming "who do you barrack for?"

I had no idea what the fcuk they meant. Anyway Andrew Penton was the first kid to cotton on and he started screaming "North Melbourne, North Melbourne!"

And then all the slower, dumber kids started in with Richmond! Collingwood! etc

So i said "ah.. North Melbourne". The die was cast in that one instant

Boy did i lose some friends that day

la roux said:
fresh off the boat, on the first day of school (1980)...About 50 kids descended on me at recess screaming "who do you barrack for?"

I had no idea what the fcuk they meant. Anyway Andrew Penton was the first kid to cotton on and he started screaming "North Melbourne, North Melbourne!"

And then all the slower, dumber kids started in with Richmond! Collingwood! etc

So i said "ah.. North Melbourne". The die was cast in that one instant

Boy did i lose some friends that day

God bless Andrew Penton - he was always on the ball.

I barracked for Melbourne (my father's team) in their glory years and when the silvertails in there sacked Norm Smith and lost my idol, a disillusioned Ron Barassi, to Carlton I stopped following VFL footy altogether. I could not bring myself to barrack for the Blues.

When Ron Barassi went to North I returned to VFL footy as a North supporter and I have never regretted it for a minute. They were a team of battlers and I had lived nearby and went to school in North Melbourne, so I had always had a soft spot for them.

Given their track record it wasn't as if I was jumping on a successful bandwagon in 1973 but I was excited by what Barass and the Doc were planning to do down there.

By the time Barass returned to Melbourne I was sold on the Roos. They were high achievers on field but without the arrogance associated with other high achiever clubs and I really liked that.

When our first daughter was born in 1979 I decided that if she was interested I would take her to the footy and see what happened. She has been a member almost all her life (our other daughter barracks for Collingwood:( ).

My daughter and I go together to all our home games and as many away games as we can manage.

So there you go....

Roo members are like Al Queda - small in number but very effective.

Twinkletoes said:
Quite simply because the NMFC represents all I hold dearest in life........pride, fight, humility, honesty, good people, achievement against all odds, working class family and respect for it's history and those who bled royal blue and white on the field of battle..............

Nicely put TT. It's a question of values.
Do you sit there and whinge about your lot in life, or do you get on with it?
Do you care about yourself only, or do put yourself on the line for your mates?
Are you scared, or are others scared of you?
Do you think only of the here and now, or are you respectful of the legacy you've inherited?
Is money your only motivation in life, or is there something more special to be attained from shared experience?
Do you jump on the bandwagon in good times, or is success so sweet for you because you've been there all the while through the bad?
Are you ashamed, or are you proudly defiant?

In short: do you barrack for just another club, or are you a part of the NMFC family?

RooVegas said:
Nicely put TT. It's a question of values.
Do you sit there and whinge about your lot in life, or do you get on with it?
Do you care about yourself only, or do put yourself on the line for your mates?
Are you scared, or are others scared of you?
Do you think only of the here and now, or are you respectful of the legacy you've inherited?
Is money your only motivation in life, or is there something more special to be attained from shared experience?
Do you jump on the bandwagon in good times, or is success so sweet for you because you've been there all the while through the bad?
Are you ashamed, or are you proudly defiant?

In short: do you barrack for just another club, or are you a part of the NMFC family?

Nice compliment to TT there RV. His post truly was a thing of beauty. I'm just not sure what you mean by the "scared" bit. As TT has been know to ask on here: "Ploise exploin."

I love the NMFC because..............................They took Jon Hay.:)

Seriously I just wanted to say that as a life long Hawk member I have always admired the Roos and can remember our great rivalry in the 70s.

The reason I admire them is because your facilities are shocking and you are always up against it when it comes to the financial side of footy.

But on the field you know that you are always going to get an honest fair dinkum game when you play the Roos.

As a football club the Roos have my full respect.

Mr Reliable said:
Nice compliment to TT there RV. His post truly was a thing of beauty. I'm just not sure what you mean by the "scared" bit. As TT has been know to ask on here: "Ploise exploin."

I guess that runs at two levels.

You might not win every game of footy, but if you put your body on the line week in and week out, and have that intimidating presence about you, well, to me that's one of the things I like most about a player. And I think it's what saw Archer named as Shinboner of the Century.

Eg. I can remember the days when Archer used to routinely line up against Richardson and often beat him, despte giving away a bit in height, simply because he seemed to have Richo "psyched out" of it. To me, it looked like a case of one guy not being scared of someone bigger than him, and putting his body on the line every time, and the other guy having elements of fear and doubt.

In more general terms: at the end of the day, one guy walks off the field knowing he gave it his all, and the other walks off wondering "what-if?"

So it becomes both a physical and mental thing. And as a mental thing, it probably flows into other areas of society and life. Do we live our lives scared, always wondering about the what ifs, or do we take life by the balls and give it a squeeze?

Geez! :eek: I'm getting a bit deep and meaningful for a Friday lunch. Maybe easier if I just delete that line in the original post?

RooVegas said:
I guess that runs at two levels.

You might not win every game of footy, but if you put your body on the line week in and week out, and have that intimidating presence about you, well, to me that's one of the things I like most about a player. And I think it's what saw Archer named as Shinboner of the Century.

Eg. I can remember the days when Archer used to routinely line up against Richardson and often beat him, despte giving away a bit in height, simply because he seemed to have Richo "psyched out" of it. To me, it looked like a case of one guy not being scared of someone bigger than him, and putting his body on the line every time, and the other guy having elements of fear and doubt.

In more general terms: at the end of the day, one guy walks off the field knowing he gave it his all, and the other walks off wondering "what-if?"

So it becomes both a physical and mental thing. And as a mental thing, it probably flows into other areas of society and life. Do we live our lives scared, always wondering about the what ifs, or do we take life by the balls and give it a squeeze?

Geez! :eek: I'm getting a bit deep and meaningful for a Friday lunch. Maybe easier if I just delete that line in the original post?

Cheers, mate:thumbsu: .

Originally Posted by RooVegas
Maybe easier if I just delete that line in the original post?

That original post of yours was a brilliant one too RV. Well done :thumbsu:

I also like to think that we, the NMFC devoted family who attend week in week out, are not just spectators who are outnumbered and against the odds, just like our players. We become involved in the action and I sometimes feel I myself have let the side down if I'm able to sing the club song in a clear voice as we all celebrate a win. More often than not I can hardly speak at the end of a game and usually sound like bloody John Laws saying "Valvoline........know what I mean" the following day too.

We as fans are forced to give it our best, just as the players themselves do. They always appreciate how passionate we are as well.

We go to battle as one, and never ever give in.

NMFC pride!!!!

T'toes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arden said:
Won't matter, she's a Collingwood supporter, she will just steal it all off the other daughter anyway. ;)

It's as if you guys know her. I might have to run away from home while I still can.

Some great responses so far. My turn I suppose.

For me The Shinboners are like a family. Highs, lows, fond memories and many great things to look forward to in the future.

But unlike the old saying: "You can choose your friends, but not your family"...., for me North Melbourne is a family we choose to be part of.

And life is all about making the right choices.

W. Carey represented the roos in a magnificent way. He led the blue and white in battle into enemy territory with unmatched strength, courage, leadership and arrogance. The King's playing days are long gone but his reign demanded the football world RESPECT North Melbourne.

Genetics

we had forefathers play in first V.F.A G.F.

Grandfather

Father

Me

Sons

Hearts to Hearts

sorry thats 19

ARDENSTREETforever said:
Spirit. Courage. Culture. History. Tradition. Supporters. Arden Street. Wayne Carey. FOREVER.

That prob sums me up mate.

Love how we are underdogs and always have a dip win or lose.

Throw in Glenn archer, the 90s and them come from behind wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you love the NMFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back