Expansion Why don't Sydney NRL fans go to games?

Remove this Banner Ad

An NRL heartland and an AFL stronghold. God help soccer or union !

I cant tell if your being sarcastic, but i dont know why soccer thinks it will do well in north qld. League and AFL are the only sports up there. Cowboys have done well for fact they sucked for 8 years but still averaged 20 000.

... State of Origin is our nations most popular annual sporting series ...
:D LD strikes again!!
(and probably got the reaction he was after).

Lets pretend LD was being serious - Then clearly he hasn't spent time outside of Qld/NSW when its on, otherwise he would quickly change his tune and realise it really is just a NSW/Qld event. The rest of Australia aren't involved and hence dont care.

I cant tell if your being sarcastic, but i dont know why soccer thinks it will do well in north qld. League and AFL are the only sports up there. Cowboys have done well for fact they sucked for 8 years but still averaged 20 000.

North Queenslanders are actually sportsmad.

when NQ has been given teams they tend to be extraordinarily popular.

I may be wrong, but the townsville crocs (NBL) have sold out every game for about 15 years. The taipans also get great crowds.

They even go to national hockey league games just to support NQ.

I reckon a NQ a-league team will be pretty powerful. Much stronger than a Newcastle or Central Coast.

:D LD strikes again!!
(and probably got the reaction he was after).

Lets pretend LD was being serious - Then clearly he hasn't spent time outside of Qld/NSW when its on, otherwise he would quickly change his tune and realise it really is just a NSW/Qld event. The rest of Australia aren't involved and hence dont care.
I maintain my position that some events transcend borders and is State of Origin (regardless of participating teams) is certainly one of them, and so too is the AFL Grand Final (regardless of participating teams) and NRL Grand Final (regardless of participating teams).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I maintain my position that some events transcend borders and is State of Origin (regardless of participating teams) is certainly one of them.

I gather you're talking rl .
As there is only two teams . They play each other .
again and again . Then next they play each other , again and again .
Yes it transcends the QLD/NSW boarder .Not much more .
Not on Wa Tv . Nobody's complained in all these years .

:eek:

And therefore they're not football supporters?

Are you deliberately being obtuse or are you just slow?

Yes, I dont live there anymore, but in 2004 when swans played at ANZ, most people were going there to support SYDNEY as a city -not the team, thats what i mean when i say they support sydney not afl. But it might be different now.

North Queenslanders are actually sportsmad.

when NQ has been given teams they tend to be extraordinarily popular.

I may be wrong, but the townsville crocs (NBL) have sold out every game for about 15 years. The taipans also get great crowds.

They even go to national hockey league games just to support NQ.

I reckon a NQ a-league team will be pretty powerful. Much stronger than a Newcastle or Central Coast.

Thing im worried about is heat factor during the winter, its awfully hot during nrl season for the cowboys, soccer will have it tough. Agree though forgot about the nbl.

i agree with that
30 degrees with 100% humidity would be just nasty to play sport in

I think the same issue will exist if there is ever a darwin afl team as well.

Cairns has the biggest Aussie Rules football competition in Far North Queensland, but the premier brand of football in Cairns remains RL and the local football team of choice being NQ Cowboys.

615,000 players nationally proves AFL rules the roost

IT is still a long way from usurping rugby league as the number one sport in the Far North but participation in Australian football has never been higher.
The AFL's game development department will today present participation figures to the commission showing the game nationally has more than 600,000 players for the first time.
Forecast figures for 2007 say Australian football has 615,549 players which is almost 200,000 more than soccer's estimated levels and 34,000 more than the same time last year.

In Cairns, the growth has been pronounced. Junior registration numbers have grown 15 per cent on last year and by a whopping 155 per cent from 1999. Junior club registration figures are tipped to hit 1150 this year having been at 450 in 1999. This figure does not include the extra 1300 young players involved in the national Kickstart program in Cairns and surrounds.

Senior AFL numbers remain relatively static at around 400 with seven clubs in the local competition. "It is great to see this kind of growth, from the Rick Hanlon and Eddie Skiba days dating back the last nine or so years we have always had double digit growth," Cairns AFL general manager Bernie O'Halloran said. "And for us last year was the first time we had ever had over 1000 registered junior players and that trend has continued again this year."

"Australian rules is the number one sport in the country, all the TV rights and sponsorship back that up." But he was under no illusions which sport still ruled the Far North. "Rugby league continues to be the number one sport up here and it will take a lot of years before we arrest that trend," he said.

Soccer has a large junior base with 3100 registered players in Cairns - up 19 per cent since 1999. Cairns junior rugby league has 1680 registered players in 2007 with Eacham and Innisfail leagues boasting healthy numbers.

Courtesy of the Cairns Post.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-3394-0-0-0&sID=56358&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=4886912&sectionID=56358

This was a article from last year ... not sure if there was more growth this year or not .... but i hope there was and it seems likely....although its more than possible that rules footy has pulled kids from soccer and not league so dont freak out all you leaguies

IT is still a long way from usurping rugby league as the number one sport in the Far North but participation in Australian football has never been higher.
The AFL's game development department will today present participation figures to the commission showing the game nationally has more than 600,000 players for the first time.
Forecast figures for 2007 say Australian football has 615,549 players which is almost 200,000 more than soccer's estimated levels and 34,000 more than the same time last year.

In Cairns, the growth has been pronounced. Junior registration numbers have grown 15 per cent on last year and by a whopping 155 per cent from 1999. Junior club registration figures are tipped to hit 1150 this year having been at 450 in 1999. This figure does not include the extra 1300 young players involved in the national Kickstart program in Cairns and surrounds.

Senior AFL numbers remain relatively static at around 400 with seven clubs in the local competition. "It is great to see this kind of growth, from the Rick Hanlon and Eddie Skiba days dating back the last nine or so years we have always had double digit growth," Cairns AFL general manager Bernie O'Halloran said. "And for us last year was the first time we had ever had over 1000 registered junior players and that trend has continued again this year."

"Australian rules is the number one sport in the country, all the TV rights and sponsorship back that up." But he was under no illusions which sport still ruled the Far North. "Rugby league continues to be the number one sport up here and it will take a lot of years before we arrest that trend," he said.

Soccer has a large junior base with 3100 registered players in Cairns - up 19 per cent since 1999. Cairns junior rugby league has 1680 registered players in 2007 with Eacham and Innisfail leagues boasting healthy numbers.

Courtesy of the Cairns Post.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-3394-0-0-0&sID=56358&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=4886912&sectionID=56358

This was a article from last year ... not sure if there was more growth this year or not .... but i hope there was and it seems likely....although its more than possible that rules footy has pulled kids from soccer and not league so dont freak out all you leaguies

From the occassion visit to AFL Cairns it seems it seems that they're still
going ahead .

:)

AFL are heads and shoulders above the rest in promoting juniours.

However - the figure above was produced by the AFL not the ABS or an independent body.

One writer said if soccer was to use the same criteria - it would have over 1 million players.

A quick search (you can find more in depth figures) from 2005 shows soccer having 355,000 Juniours and AFL 193,000.

I am only speaking from a Sydney perspective, cut driving around Sydney on the weekened you see soccer games outnumber AFL by at least 5 to 1.

Like I said, AFL is heads and shoulders above the rest in its professionalism, but you have to view these figures with a grain of salt.

However - the figure above was produced by the AFL not the ABS or an independent body.

One writer said if soccer was to use the same criteria - it would have over 1 million players.

A quick search (you can find more in depth figures) from 2005 shows soccer having 355,000 Juniours and AFL 193,000.

I am only speaking from a Sydney perspective, cut driving around Sydney on the weekened you see soccer games outnumber AFL by at least 5 to 1.

If you go to the ABS the figures basically show soccer overall
due to juniors then AFL but in a stronger position.

That would be good .
Twice as many players on an Australian Football team .
brings it to 2.5 to 1 .

From memory AFL is closing the gap on rugby league on juniour participants in Western Sydney, but Soccer remains well in front in New South Wales.

Below is a list of top 4 participation sports:

The top 10 sports and physical activities for children in NSW were:

soccer (outdoor) had 175,500 participants or a participation rate of 19.8%

swimming had 154,000 participants or a participation rate of 17.4%

netball had 80,900 participants or a participation rate of 9.1%

rugby league had 68,100 participants or a participation rate of 7.7%

Top 10- list is below:

http://www.dsr.nsw.gov.au/research/fact_part_child06.asp

cricket is the declining sport in most states now.
Its funny league has never been the most play sport in nsw, soccer is main sport, private schools only play union.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Why don't Sydney NRL fans go to games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back