Expansion Why don't Sydney NRL fans go to games?

Remove this Banner Ad

You rant this . Then say

The only only answer is that you aren't going to answer .
When you haven't posted an answer anywhere .
All you you have to do is give your opinion on the
aboriginal rl league in existance in country NSW ,
as obviously this issue is of great concern to you
that you vehemently attack people who have innocent thoughts .

:thumbsdown:

You are without doubt, the most pathetic poster I have seen on any forum anywhere. You have the intelligence of a monkey, the manners of a child, the ideology of 1860s Englishman, and the blindfolded stubborness of a 90-year-old man. By continuing posting the same message over and over again, from one thread to another, you can keep yourself in denial, but to all others, you just demean yourself even further.

By continuing posting the same message over and over again, from one thread to another, you can keep yourself in denial, but to all others, you just demean yourself even further.

All you have to do is stop expending energy abusing me and answer a
simple question .

Is the aparthied aboriginal rl league competition a good thing .
And is it good for rl in general .

Very very simple .

.:eek:

Tell me Cos, what is it about this "aboriginal rl league competition" you speak of?
It has me intrigued.

By the way how many aboriginal players are there in the Australian team? Are there many that play in the RL league?

Actually just googled ...

http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=27568

"Already we have non-Aboriginal players lining up to play with their Aboriginal mates and this is a good thing for race relations and the game of Rugby League."

Race realtions??? wtf

Why is there race segregation within Australia I ask myself??
Why, why would there be a specific aboriginal league when we are all Australians? I am, you are, we are...Australians
Is it because of the colour of their skin?

Is there a Lebanese rugby league?

All you have to do is stop expending energy abusing me and answer a
simple question .

Very very simple .

.:eek:

Can you explain why you are asking this question? What is the aparthied rl competition? Is there an original thread about this?

Over the last few years a number of country leagues have banned a number of predominantly aboriginal clubs (most notably the Moree Boomerangs). This has mainly been because of alleged player and crowd violence - to the extent that referees were refusing appointments and other clubs refusing to play.

So, there was a breakaway from the CRL structure by a number of aboriginal clubs, players and administrators to form their own league.

Can you explain why you are asking this question? What is the aparthied rl competition? Is there an original thread about this?

No there isn't an original thread .
IMO the poster was playing the racist card by vehemently disapproving
the idea of an aboriginal team playing a one off game of Aussie Rules .
whilst totally ignoring the existance of an aboriginal rl league in
country NSW which would in his logic constitute aparthied .

Serious question.

We are told that NRL is as popular in Sydney as AFL is in Melbourne - yet the crowds are about 1/3 the size.

Crowds of 14K attended each of the 'Blockbuster 100th year Celebration Heritage Round' matches between arch rivals St George V Canterbury & Parra V Manly. Correct me if I am wrong but these are probably the 4 biggest drawing Sydney RL clubs. (i.e Carlton V Collingwood & Essendon V Richmond).

Is non attendence of sport a cultural thing in Sydney?
But how would this explain the Swans crowds?

Is it cultural to RL? - Because it's 'better on TV'?
Then again, most matches are not on TV.

The fact that the stadiums are smaller is not relevant as they are rarely sold out (the St George V Bulldogs game was at the 80K Olympic stadium).

Support is not dwindling - crowds in Sydney have been roughly the same for 50 years.
But why aren't they growing like they are in other codes and/or other cities?

Is this a worry for the AFL entering a market that does not seem very passionate about attending sport?

AFL is growing everywhere.
NRL is growing in Queensland (and elsewhere), but why not in Sydney?

Its simple as this mate.

Its a better spectacle to view RL on TV as the action all go's on in a confined area and can be seen as well if not better on TV. AFL however is much different, you need to be at the game to see what is going on and it certainly isn't much to watch on TV.

No there isn't an original thread .
IMO the poster was playing the racist card by vehemently disapproving
the idea of an aboriginal team playing a one off game of Aussie Rules .
whilst totally ignoring the existance of an aboriginal rl league in
country NSW which would in his logic constitute aparthied .

But was that an aboriginal team that played against AFL club or a NT (state) team?

Huge difference

Call me racist, I'm looking forward to this years Aboriginal Vs Maori exhibition game before the RLWC kicks off.

Should be a beauty, I hope we get to see the Aboriginal war cry before it.

I don't know about the Australian attitude towards indigenous teams, but it's something we've had in New Zealand for a long time.

The Maori and the Aboriginal teams have been playing each other for as long as the Pacific Cup has been going, while the Maori team has played matches against International teams for many years.

It should be a great game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know about the Australian attitude towards indigenous teams, but it's something we've had in New Zealand for a long time.

The Maori and the Aboriginal teams have been playing each other for as long as the Pacific Cup has been going, while the Maori team has played matches against International teams for many years.

It should be a great game.

In RL out here, not a problem at all, infact most fans have been calling for this game to be put on the big stage for years.

Could you imagine the team the Aboriginals could put out if the likes of Bowen, Widders, Web and a whole host of others don't get picked for the Kangaroos? :eek:

Up there with a SOO team all on its own.

In RL out here, not a problem at all, infact most fans have been calling for this game to be put on the big stage for years.

Could you imagine the team the Aboriginals could put out if the likes of Bowen, Widders, Web and a whole host of others don't get picked for the Kangaroos? :eek:

Up there with a SOO team all on its own.

Such incredible depth and talent. Such a pity we chose to throw our lot into Union.

I'd love to see both teams play more often. Any exposure to sport at a high level is great for the game.

One of the major issues with RL is the grounds themselves and the fact that the facilities for families are substantially less attractive than AFL grounds.

One of the key features about the AFL is that almost 50% of the people who go are women and there are far more "family groups" that go to AFL than NRL.

There are few RL venues that cater for fans in the same way as the MCG or the Telstra Dome do and even Skilled Stadium is better than 80% of the RL grounds.

The best of the RL grounds is Lang Park in Brisbane - a facility especially built for rugby - and the Telstra Stadium in Sydney - but if you go to most other RL grounds there are poor seating and undercover facilities.

Another feature if the number of night games that are played in the NRL - and the travel required from say Penrith to Newcastle or Woollongong.

People like comfort these days - and with the costs of going to sport they want good facilities.

I don't have a problem , but there are two guys that are going to have a heart attack when they see your two posts .
Good luck .

newbee???//:confused:

Well they are idiots then.

What is wrong with the Aboriginals having a rep team in any sport?

Wouldn't it give their people a lot of pride?

I can understand it if they are saying no to a Kangaroos Vs Aboriginal game, that's stupid and it could and would cause trouble, but Exhibition games are good between two different indigenous nations.

Hell, even a club playing against them in an exhibition game would be cool.

Well they are idiots then.

What is wrong with the Aboriginals having a rep team in any sport?

Wouldn't it give their people a lot of pride?

I can understand it if they are saying no to a Kangaroos Vs Aboriginal game, that's stupid and it could and would cause trouble, but Exhibition games are good between two different indigenous nations.

Hell, even a club playing against them in an exhibition game would be cool.

Go to the SOO thread .

We (Swans) regularly get 25-30K crowds at the SCG and get about 50K average at ANZ.

And our sport is apparently inferior up there. I'm not disagreeing with that, maybe people just follow league to go with the crowd.

But it seems that nobody wants to go...

We (Swans) regularly get 25-30K crowds at the SCG and get about 50K average at ANZ.

And our sport is apparently inferior up there. I'm not disagreeing with that, maybe people just follow league to go with the crowd.

But it seems that nobody wants to go...

There was 34, 500 there last night. Looked like it was about two thousand or so off capacity.

That would be a fair point if university students were actually represented amongst the UNSW team. In 2006, when I played for them, in the first and second grade, there were less than five students. The coach and administrators had to beg the students to go to the annual sports meeting (two students from the team had to be present at the AGM so as to ensure the uni' did not withdraw funding from the team). The other 45-50 odd players all held full-time jobs.

That was my point - it's not just a uni team, which explains it's success.

EDIT: You also make the gross generalisation that 'Rugby league's stronghold is also amongst people that don't go to university'. I'm not going to debate that, but in '06, another team within the area, Kensington, did not field a team in '06 and only operates a team this year due to the UNSW side ceasing to field a team. As far as Im aware, the Kensington team has no affiliation with a university.

That says something about Kensington, not necessarily a larger area. As for the generalisation, these days there would be a lot of league people at universities, but not much of tradition of university league clubs. And even diehard league fans are happy to play union for their school, if that's what the school plays.

I think it is a RL culture rather than a sydney culture. While NRL crowds have never been good throughout history, New codes have come in:
Swans - average 30 K's same as AFL average
Waratahs - average 20K's same as S14 average
Sydney FC - average around 20K, same as Victory.

All these supporters were already in Sydney, and probably not regularly going to RL games.

Where did you pull that bullshit number from? :confused::confused::confused:
In the 2007/08 regular season the Melbourne Victory averaged 26,064 while Sydney FC averaged 16,373. How can that be considered the same?

A few points as a Sydneysider:

1. League use to be about tribalism. Although crowds were never as good as AFL, tribalism has disappeared.

2. League retains support in the blue collared working class in Sydney - but many middle class families have moved away from the game.

3. Boofhead mentality and image.

4. Sydney League are not as committed sporting fans as AFL or soccer. Although a small hard core group exist, the rest are casula spectators. If their team loses, you have a laugh and get on with it. (this also explains the lack of atmpshere at many NSW League matches). Infact a survey (I think by the ABS???) found that while 30% of AFL and Soccer fans attended over 8 or more games in a season, only 14% of League fans did the same.

5. Shift of many supporters in Sydney to AFL and Soccer.

6. Just a couple weeks back, Friday night Rugby League was beaten by the ABC in ratings.

7. Massive media coverage and promotion giving relatively minimal "bang for your buck". Massive week long promotion for games reglarly give crowds of only 15,000 or less.

8. Inflated crowd figures and freebies. Without these the reality of league is even worse. Clubs like the Roosters regularly inflate crowd figures to make it look that more people attended then actually did. What is more, businesses and schools get given thousands of free tickets. My wifes work (who sponsors the League) get 100 free tickets a week. My Brother-in-law who is a teacher says hios chool gets 100's of free ticktes as well.

9. Bad mangement. The AFL is a professional organisation that commands top dollar from tv rights. The Rugby League commands less then half that.

10. As a Sydneysider growing up in a league area,with little exposure to AFL, I can honestly say AFL is a better package and better game.

11. Finally consider this. The NRL gets $55 million a year in tv rights plus massive media coverage. IT averages about 16,500 people a game. The Soccer A-league gets only $13 million a year and only a fraction of the media promotion and drew and average of 15,500 people (or so). Eventually corporate Australia will realise this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Why don't Sydney NRL fans go to games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back