Why have the Olympics lost their appeal, or have they?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tokyo time will work better for you guys in 2020.

Yeah it will be great, our prime time matches up with their prime time so we'll be able to watch the best events at a decent hour.

Although they'll probably put the best events on at a time that suits the USA like they did in Rio.

Ended up watching quite a bit more of these Olympics than I anticipated so I give it the thumbs up. Started to drag in the second week though. There's only so much you can watch of sports you plainly don't care about for 206 weeks.

After having pretty much no interest till last week, I started to watch a fair bit. Pretty much everything was delayed though. I used to be one to get up early to watch all kinds of sporting events, but I really can't be bothered anymore. Much rather get home and watch something live from 4pm onwards.

For the sake of the olympics they'd wanna hope they find a couple of freak athletes by the time Tokyo rolls around. No Bolt and no Phelps is going to leave a big hole. Bolt especially for me. Just such a likeable competitor and I'll always have fond memories of his performances thanks to nostalgia. Remember being a young kid in primary school when he first came on the scene and it was pretty amazing seeing him run so fast.

After having pretty much no interest till last week, I started to watch a fair bit. Pretty much everything was delayed though. I used to be one to get up early to watch all kinds of sporting events, but I really can't be bothered anymore. Much rather get home and watch something live from 4pm onwards.

For the sake of the olympics they'd wanna hope they find a couple of freak athletes by the time Tokyo rolls around. No Bolt and no Phelps is going to leave a big hole. Bolt especially for me. Just such a likeable competitor and I'll always have fond memories of his performances thanks to nostalgia. Remember being a young kid in primary school when he first came on the scene and it was pretty amazing seeing him run so fast.
There were others before Bolt and Phelps, and there will be others after they are gone. It promotes a different kind of interest because we won't know in advance who is going to win.

There were others before Bolt and Phelps, and there will be others after they are gone. It promotes a different kind of interest because we won't know in advance who is going to win.

its very interesting to hear commentators of t&f say there will never be another (bolt) again. same was said when i was in LA in 84 games of lewis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruined by poor coverage from 7. With all of that content available they wasted time with stupid montages, Rompingwins, and ad nauseum medal ceremonies of non Aussies.

I like watching "different" Sports at the games like weightlifting, indoor volleyball, handball and table tennis. Can only take so much of swimming to be honest, but i get that it is popular.

Foxtel did it much better four years ago. Several channels, plenty of choice.

With Netflix and so forth only getting bigger i honestly wonder how long until the old school tv networks with their old school ways die off.

It may've taken a while. But the tennis players have taken it seriously. It would not surprise me at all in Tokyo. The leading tennis players prioritise the Olympics over the US Open.

Soccer is a part of Olympic history. The World Cup was formed from being a part of the Olympics.

LOL wut? Zero chance

I'm banking on Tokyo to restore my faith in the Olympics. But before that roll on Pyeonchang I say.

Take out a few awesome individual performances and Rio was a bit shit, really. I mean we're talking about the Olympic Games and they can't keep the pool from turning green. The dude from the local Poolmart should be able to sort that out. Poor conditions for the rowing in water that you shouldn't put your head under, dubious officiating in boxing and basketball at least...

I'm banking on Tokyo to restore my faith in the Olympics. But before that roll on Pyeonchang I say.

Take out a few awesome individual performances and Rio was a bit shit, really. I mean we're talking about the Olympic Games and they can't keep the pool from turning green. The dude from the local Poolmart should be able to sort that out. Poor conditions for the rowing in water that you shouldn't put your head under, dubious officiating in boxing and basketball at least...

Their 5 mins in the Closing was enough to restore my faith. (was expecting that anyway). Rio was like povo compared to them. :D

Not as popular as you'd think. She was all over the papers for a couple of days but it's a niche sport that not many in Canada would care about.

Do Canadians truly care about any sport that isn't hockey ?

Do Canadians truly care about any sport that isn't hockey ?

It's definitely a clear number 1. They care about team sports. Hockey, football, baseball, basketball, rugby and soccer. Individual sports don't seem to appeal. That's why you don't see many tennis players, golfers etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why have the Olympics lost their appeal, or have they?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back