Big Nasty

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2006
Gippsland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cats VFL
It amazes me how so many people criticise Tom Harley for playing on some of the crappest forwards each week so he can help out the other defenders, when Luke Hodge does the exact same thing, yet Luke Hodge is apparently one of the best players in the comp because of this.

There is alot of debate between Hawks & Blue supporters as who is better out of Hodge & Judd. Which is rediculous considering Judd has to win the hardball out of the middle and set up the play, while Hodge just needs to run off his opponent and spoil the ball.

So if Hodge is in the top 5 players in the competition, then I guess Harley is aswell - considering he plays that role just as effectively as Hodge.

While good in the air, nobody cares if Harley gets the ball. Hodge punishes you mercilessly. When opposition coaches sit down to work out tactics for 2009 and beyond, curbing Hodge's influence at half back will be top of the list.

The reason Hodge is rated so highly? We'll just use the 2008 premiership as evidence and if the coaches were to ignore it like you, we'll use the 2009 one too.:thumbsu:

Hodge does it getting 25 touches and can also go into the middle and win it there, and also likes to sneak forward and kick a few goals as well.

Has Harley ever kicked a bag?
Enright does that as well for Geelong, so I guess he must be one of the best players in the comp. :rolleyes:

A quick glance tells me Hodge gets the ball narly twice as much, has 3 times as many tackles per game, takes more marks, averages 6 I50's and a goal a game. Harley averages less than 1 I50 and hasn't kicked a goal this year.

They play the same role?

because he punishes teams. Harley does jack-all apart from becoming the third man in the air.

hodge will get the ball, then take off on a 50m run before hitting a man dead on the chest, or will unload a 60m handball to a free man.

also, Hodge's man still remains goalless (maybe one goal) harley will have 3 kicked on him. Harley is surviving on the geelong Hype, not his own footballing ability.

Harley is just the third tall. Hodge plays CHB, kills his opponents, provides attack off half-back, a midfield option and a subsititute forward option also.

1 hodge posession can put a team away. one Harley possession is a 2m handball to a teammate in the same position.

LOL, you've got the naivest logic I've ever seen by a Cat supporter. Go watch the replay again and see if Enright and Harley play the same role as Hodge. Go watch the Hawks Saints prelim too and you'll know for sure.

It amazes me how so many people criticise Tom Harley for playing on some of the crappest forwards each week so he can help out the other defenders, when Luke Hodge does the exact same thing, yet Luke Hodge is apparently one of the best players in the comp because of this.

There is alot of debate between Hawks & Blue supporters as who is better out of Hodge & Judd. Which is rediculous considering Judd has to win the hardball out of the middle and set up the play, while Hodge just needs to run off his opponent and spoil the ball.

So if Hodge is in the top 5 players in the competition, then I guess Harley is aswell - considering he plays that role just as effectively as Hodge.
If you have to ask the answer would be lost on you.

because he punishes teams. Harley does jack-all apart from becoming the third man in the air.

hodge will get the ball, then take off on a 50m run before hitting a man dead on the chest, or will unload a 60m handball to a free man.

also, Hodge's man still remains goalless (maybe one goal) harley will have 3 kicked on him. Harley is surviving on the geelong Hype, not his own footballing ability.

Harley is just the third tall. Hodge plays CHB, kills his opponents, provides attack off half-back, a midfield option and a subsititute forward option also.

1 hodge posession can put a team away. one Harley possession is a 2m handball to a teammate in the same position.
Harley is no.1 in the competition for marking opposition kicks, so how is that not punishing opponents? It keeps there scores low while giving us the opportunity to rebound quickly out of defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed.

Why is the sweeping quarterback role so underrated by the footy public?

It brings midfield hurt to the backline where the most turnovers eventuate. Hodge, H. Shaw, McLeod etc. all provide run and finish, as well as good gound level contests when required.

Hodge plays a great defensive role whilst commanding the backline and creative drive and forward movements off the back flanks. He can also go into the middle and play superbly there.

Harley just picks the third best forward and tries to stop them doing much. He'll also take the odd uncontested mark so commentators can cream themselves over him.

Big Nasty, your left testy would be number one in the comp for opposition marks with the pressure Geelong puts on the ball carrier. If you think that stat was due to Harley's domination, you're surely no with the game.

Don't get too carried away .

I agree with what youre saying, but 60m handball :eek:

Why is the sweeping quarterback role so underrated by the footy public?

It brings midfield hurt to the backline where the most turnovers eventuate. Hodge, H. Shaw, McLeod etc. all provide run and finish, as well as good gound level contests when required.
You are talking about the AFL aren't you?

LOL, you've got the naivest logic I've ever seen by a Cat supporter. Go watch the replay again and see if Enright and Harley play the same role as Hodge. Go watch the Hawks Saints prelim too and you'll know for sure.

Ditto!

Maybe the question should be why are the cats so overrated. Didnt look that flash to me, AND they got beat by collingwood.

LMAO:D

Nah that was Geelong's poor kicking for goal that won Hawthorn the game.

And if the Bulldogs kicked straight, you wouldn't have even made the GF. Hawthorn had more shots at goal if you discount the rushed behinds anyway.

But yes, your blokes are soft September chokers though. You were crap all month while the better side peaked at the right time. Just another Port Adelaide destined to be forgotten for all your home and away form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is Hodge rated so highly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back