Why is Hodge rated so highly?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's more versatile and gets BOG with broken rips, rather than going off and watching from the sidelines. Good hard footballer.
Who are these terrible geelong forwards he plays on..
Maybe that's why people love him so much. I'ts not that he plays the loose man role so well, it's that he's so couragious.

'gets BOG with broken ribs'...BOG = best on ground...and he has broken ribs thats more than just courage...Tom Lonergan in couragous. I also think Hodge is more important to team structure, you'd miss him more than Harley if they were out for a week, he's unique.

if he was a Centre Half Back why didn't he play on Mooney in the Grand Final, or why does he play on the crap forwards every week for that matter?
It's easy to to get the ball from the backline as much as Hodge does when your playing on an a crapper un-accountable forward.

As far as a 60m handball....I guess we are talking about the great Luke Hodge. ;)

he wasnt playing on mooney because mooney was playing out of the forward pocket (watch the replay's). hodge was always at CHF. the 60m handball. watch the replay. hodge was about 1 metre outside D50, and the ball went 10m infront of bateman, who collected just outside F50... thats about 60m.

of corse, I wouldnt expect cats fans to understand anything like this.

'gets BOG with broken ribs'...BOG = best on ground...and he has broken ribs thats more than just courage...Tom Lonergan in couragous. I also think Hodge is more important to team structure, you'd miss him more than Harley if they were out for a week, he's unique.
That's why Hawks were only up by a couple of points at half time, and because Harley didn't play the 3rd quarter with concussion, Hawthorn started kicking more goals, as Harley is that vital to our defensive structure..

After the Collingwood game, every team was putting the same pressure on the cats, but we never lost those games did we? like I said before, it was our poor conversion that lost us the game, not Hawthorn's pressure.

i dont think geelong new what pressure was before last saturday. they didnt handle it to well, bombing the ball inside fifty and hoping for the best wasnt the answer but it was all they could respond with.

keep up that, we are the best we just couldnt win", attitude and next year will bite even harder:D

just dont get it, do you geelong. losers!:thumbsdown:

It amazes me how so many people criticise Tom Harley for playing on some of the crappest forwards each week so he can help out the other defenders, when Luke Hodge does the exact same thing, yet Luke Hodge is apparently one of the best players in the comp because of this.

There is alot of debate between Hawks & Blue supporters as who is better out of Hodge & Judd. Which is rediculous considering Judd has to win the hardball out of the middle and set up the play, while Hodge just needs to run off his opponent and spoil the ball.

So if Hodge is in the top 5 players in the competition, then I guess Harley is aswell - considering he plays that role just as effectively as Hodge.

You're right he is like Harley. He's also like Bartel and Chapman.

In short more versatile better disposal....ie like Harley but good.

Hodge provides rebounding drive, Harley doesn't. Your midfield got beaten in the 3rd quarter, unless I'm mistaken Harley wasn't playing on the game breaking STEWIE DEEEEWWWW. If Harley was as couragous as Hodge he might have returned sooner or stayed on, seeing he's such a vital cog...

Hodge provides rebounding drive, Harley doesn't. Your midfield got beaten in the 3rd quarter, unless I'm mistaken Harley wasn't playing on the game breaking STEWIE DEEEEWWWW. If Harley was as couragous as Hodge he might have returned sooner or stayed on, seeing he's such a vital cog...
Did Hodge even have broken ribs? I heard nothing about it from the club.

geelong allover again, one flag and they are unbeatable, arrogance got geelong and it will get u guys too, bookmark this

NQR Tiger ...so one poster = Entire Football club?

I think you'll find a key reason we emerged from the deep dark forest in the last 2 years to knock off a very good side was the ability to keep feet firmly planted. Next year will be no different.

Enright does that as well for Geelong, so I guess he must be one of the best players in the comp. :rolleyes:

Because Enrights possesions are tactically useless not to mention Hodge dominates in marking contests against full-time full forwards.

Hodge got sent down back because we had plenty of class in the midfield and we needed some strength down so he took one for the team and dominated. He was actually playing really well in the midfield beforehand but your a biased cry baby so I wouldn't expect you to have watched any of those games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harley is no.1 in the competition for marking opposition kicks, so how is that not punishing opponents? It keeps there scores low while giving us the opportunity to rebound quickly out of defence.

Hodge has only been playing this game for somthing like 6 games harleys had all year to do this and yet hodge is still better at his job, when was the last time harley kick the ball to a player 50m's away and have them not brake stride.

Did Hodge even have broken ribs? I heard nothing about it from the club.

Your goal sneak Stokes seemed to think so before the bounce. And coughing up blood isn't a terrible indicator. Since when do clubs make public announcements about players carrying injuries going into a GF. Either way he was carrying an injury into the game and chopped up both weeks.

There is alot of debate between Hawks & Blue supporters as who is better out of Hodge & Judd. Which is rediculous considering Judd has to win the hardball out of the middle and set up the play, while Hodge just needs to run off his opponent and spoil the ball.
Hodge can play as well in the midfield, yet Judd could never play the role Hodge does in the backline. When Harley wins a Norm Smith, come back and bait us.

So if Hodge is in the top 5 players in the competition, then I guess Harley is aswell - considering he plays that role just as effectively as Hodge.

Clearly you're too soft between the ears for this, but:

Hodge can dominate a game as a midfielder, win clearances, deliver etc. despite what some plebs here think.

Hodge can be nearly as damaging as a forward.

Hodge can play small and tall down back. Hodge is damaging, damaging, damaging with the ball in his hands.

If Hawthorn have a problem, they send Hodge to the area to fix it. Just like Voss used to do at Brisbane.

Harley is a good third tall who reads the play well enough to chop off attacking thrusts. He's probably great at it, but there's not much else there. You can't throw him forward or into the middle.

That should do you.

So voting is now....

Hodge is better = 5 pages worth of posts except for 2 people.

Harley is better = 2 people

churchsign_loser.jpg

Oh, and click here for the Geelong Downfall!!!

Harley is no.1 in the competition for marking opposition kicks, so how is that not punishing opponents? It keeps there scores low while giving us the opportunity to rebound quickly out of defence.

You are a fool... honestly your logic and argument have no base or substance and its giving me a headache trying to get my head around it. Your biased, blinded and stupid. Hodge is/on par the best player in the competion. Where do i start with you, Hodge kicks goals Harley does not, goals hurt the opposition and harley does not kick them reflected by the fact he has kicked 11 in his career while hodge has kicked 20 this year. Hodge averages 24 touches Harley averages 15 touches, Hodge averages the same amount of marks so being that he is a backman im guessing a fair percent are from the opposition he also chooses to punch the ball rather than mark it. He averages 4 tackles a game Harley averages less than one which outlines his lack of pressure abplied in the forward line. Hodge averages a goal a game and harley has only kicked one this year. Hodge has had 14/20 games over 20 plus possesions alot of them being 30+ while Harley has had 4/26 with 20+ and not one more than 30. You also mentioned that ABlett is second behind Corey in disposals- WRONG AGAIN, he is actually 8th on that list. So before you say something stupid like that again just register that thing upstairs see if its still working

Hodge v Harley "defensively". Hodge as good, or better than Harley. (Scarlett, Lake, Croad all better than Hodge defensively).

Hodge v McLeod/Shaw/etc. Hodge as good, or better than all at rebounding out - doubly so because of his disposal skills and vision.

THAT is why he is so highly rated. Amongst the best "shut-down" defenders, arguably the best "3rd man in" defender, one of the best players at winning contested ball, and one of the best kicks in the league.

Like Croad and Scarlett - teams appear to actively avoid kicking it in his direction. Put him 40m out directly in front, and they won't even look to kick it there. Has a MASSIVE influence on the entire game from this position - almost a reverse-Carey (Brown/Franklin/etc) effect. (They draw the play towards them, Hodge pushes it away from him).

With regards to the GF, Hodge started on Stokes, which was his ideal matchup for us. Once Croad went down he was forced to play on taller players (though Brown going back eventually helped). During the course of the game he played on Mooney (5 minutes), Ottens (15), Lonergan (15), Johnson (5) and Stokes (50). That's a pretty reasonable spread of players there. Essentially anyone that stood in dangerous areas in front of goal - Hodge went to them. He stands at CHB, and forces an opponent to come to him.

It was poor coaching by Thompson to leave him with Stokes. Should have put Mooney/Ottens there and instructed everyone to put it on Hodge's head - force others to be the '3rd man in'. Either that or double-team him (and leave our forwardline 1-on-1).

Or, Hodge is rated so highly as he's:

Buckley + Contested Spoiling + Desperation + Pain Factor
Voss + Disposal

(Buckley the ultimate professional, Hodge crosses the line sometimes, Voss the 'best' of his generation, Hodge just that little bit extra disposal class).

Originally Posted by Big Nasty
Nah that was Geelong's poor kicking for goal that won Hawthorn the game.

You idiot! Geelong supporters are still in denial its unbeilivable i knew they we arrogant and stupid but didnt realise they are sore losers as well, bad kicking is bad football. Plus there was 11 rushed behinds so it was made out to worse than it sctually was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is Hodge rated so highly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back