Why is Hodge rated so highly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ditto!

Maybe the question should be why are the cats so overrated. Didnt look that flash to me, AND they got beat by collingwood.

LMAO:D

The Cats are (were) rated because they peak early and win irrelevant games pre-September. Much like the already forgotten Port Adelaide of 2002-2003.

It amazes me how so many people criticise Tom Harley for playing on some of the crappest forwards each week so he can help out the other defenders, when Luke Hodge does the exact same thing, yet Luke Hodge is apparently one of the best players in the comp because of this.

There is alot of debate between Hawks & Blue supporters as who is better out of Hodge & Judd. Which is rediculous considering Judd has to win the hardball out of the middle and set up the play, while Hodge just needs to run off his opponent and spoil the ball.

So if Hodge is in the top 5 players in the competition, then I guess Harley is aswell - considering he plays that role just as effectively as Hodge.
there is no arguing with that logic

Harley is no.1 in the competition for marking opposition kicks, so how is that not punishing opponents? It keeps there scores low while giving us the opportunity to rebound quickly out of defence.

Marking opposition kicks is a defensive thing, what everyone else is talking about is what happens after Hodge gets the ball, ie it seems to have this uncanny knack of making its way down to the Hawks attacking zone.

It's important that Hawthorn players get talked down and not rated so that people eventually believe it. it will mean less competition when they come out of contract and lower salaries, keeping hawthorn under the cap and in the market for top-up players.

everyone talking hodge down in this thread is actually doing the hawks a long-term favour. thank you. :D

because he punishes teams. Harley does jack-all apart from becoming the third man in the air.

hodge will get the ball, then take off on a 50m run before hitting a man dead on the chest, or will unload a 60m handball to a free man.

also, Hodge's man still remains goalless (maybe one goal) harley will have 3 kicked on him. Harley is surviving on the geelong Hype, not his own footballing ability.

Harley is just the third tall. Hodge plays CHB, kills his opponents, provides attack off half-back, a midfield option and a subsititute forward option also.

1 hodge posession can put a team away. one Harley possession is a 2m handball to a teammate in the same position.
if he was a Centre Half Back why didn't he play on Mooney in the Grand Final, or why does he play on the crap forwards every week for that matter?
It's easy to to get the ball from the backline as much as Hodge does when your playing on an a crapper un-accountable forward.

As far as a 60m handball....I guess we are talking about the great Luke Hodge. ;)

Geelong had 2 less scoring shots than Hawthorn when you take out rushed behinds. But of course Geelong lost it, not Hawthorn winning it. :rolleyes:

Now run off back to Bay 13 like the good little troll you are. :p
When the game was there to be won in the 2nd quarter, Geelong had a hell of a lot more scoring shots than Hawthorn, and because they didn't convert any of them it kept Hawhorn in the game.

Brownlow voting is more accurate. Got a grand total of 2 votes for the season.

Bomber Thompson made him look good in the GF by putting hitman Stokes on him for far too long :eek:

Personally i reckon Hodge is one of the best players in the league but I didn't think his season was ground breaking. Unlikely to have been All-Australian if he wasn't eligible for a backman. His finish to the season including the finals was sensational and on that he'd one of the first picked for the AA but his first 10 or so rounds were above average for most but below what he can produce. And correct me if I'm wrong but he wasn't playing in the back line as much in the first half of the year, at the end of the year he certainly was.

if he was a Centre Half Back why didn't he play on Mooney in the Grand Final
Why waste Hodge on Mooney?

why does he play on the crap forwards every week for that matter?
He doesn't but I'll entertain you; I bet the Cats would love the luxury of a Hodge getting the crappest forward each week to set your plays up from half back. Would've helped in the 3rd quarter in the Granny.

It's easy to to get the ball from the backline as much as Hodge does when your playing on an a crapper un-accountable forward.
So why not make him accountable? Isn't that what the Cats couldn't do :confused::eek:

And if the Bulldogs kicked straight, you wouldn't have even made the GF. Hawthorn had more shots at goal if you discount the rushed behinds anyway.

But yes, your blokes are soft September chokers though. You were crap all month while the better side peaked at the right time. Just another Port Adelaide destined to be forgotten for all your home and away form.
Actually we had a reasonable lead when they were kicking those behinds, so it wouldn't have made an ounce of difference if they kicked a couple of goals instead, as we would have just responded.
The same couldn't be said about Hawthorn if we were converting our shots at goal in the 2nd quarter, because we were killing it in the general play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if he was a Centre Half Back why didn't he play on Mooney in the Grand Final, or why does he play on the crap forwards every week for that matter?

As far as a 60m handball....I guess we are talking about the great Luke Hodge. ;)
so what you're saying is that mark thompson is an incompetant coach, and your match committee screwed up?

or that hawthorn had the better 22 players in the grand final because geelong had no match-up for hodge.

take your pick, either way you've self pwn3d.

Actually we had a reasonable lead when they were kicking those behinds, so it wouldn't have made an ounce of difference.

Dogs would have hit the lead. I wonder if Geelong would have crumbled like they did in the Grand Final when they got a few goals down? Oh well, looks like I'll die wondering.

When the game was there to be won in the 2nd quarter, Geelong had a hell of a lot more scoring shots than Hawthorn, and because they didn't convert any of them it kept Hawhorn in the game.

Oh I didn't realise you could only win the game in the second quarter. :rolleyes:

There is a reason coaches want their teams to play a solid 4 quarters, Hawthorn showed that's what's required to win a premiership.

Geelong just choked when someone finally put decent pressure on them, Hawthorn played good hard pressure football that won them the game. Just like Collingwood did, but I'm sure that was just Geelong losing the game too.

While good in the air, nobody cares if Harley gets the ball. Hodge punishes you mercilessly. When opposition coaches sit down to work out tactics for 2009 and beyond, curbing Hodge's influence at half back will be top of the list.

The reason Hodge is rated so highly? We'll just use the 2008 premiership as evidence and if the coaches were to ignore it like you, we'll use the 2009 one too.:thumbsu:

geelong allover again, one flag and they are unbeatable, arrogance got geelong and it will get u guys too, bookmark this

so what you're saying is that mark thompson is an incompetant coach, and your match committee screwed up?

or that hawthorn had the better 22 players in the grand final because geelong had no match-up for hodge.

take your pick, either way you've self pwn3d.
I'm not saying that at all. But had Rooke played on Hodge alot longer, then Hodge wouldn't have been so effective, because Rooke was smashing Hodge when he was playing on him.

I'm not saying that at all. But had Rooke played on Hodge alot longer, then Hodge wouldn't have been so effective, because Rooke was smashing Hodge when he was playing on him.
so geelong has that incompetant a coaching staff and match committee that a bigfooty troll would have won them the grand final....

Oh I didn't realise you could only win the game in the second quarter. :rolleyes:

There is a reason coaches want their teams to play a solid 4 quarters, Hawthorn showed that's what's required to win a premiership.

Geelong just choked when someone finally put decent pressure on them, Hawthorn played good hard pressure football that won them the game. Just like Collingwood did, but I'm sure that was just Geelong losing the game too.
After the Collingwood game, every team was putting the same pressure on the cats, but we never lost those games did we? like I said before, it was our poor conversion that lost us the game, not Hawthorn's pressure.

He's more versatile and gets BOG with broken rips, rather than going off and watching from the sidelines. Good hard footballer.
Who are these terrible geelong forwards he plays on..

After the Collingwood game, every team was putting the same pressure on the cats, but we never lost those games did we? like I said before, it was our poor conversion that lost us the game, not Hawthorn's pressure.

I guess it's easier for you to remain in fantasy land, but I hope for your sake the Cats staff aren't believing the same tripe because they need to accept that Hawthorn were the better team before they have a chance to win it in 2009.

Nah that was Geelong's poor kicking for goal that won Hawthorn the game.
You are the most one eyed cats supporter on bigfooty. Its called pressure mate. Geelong couldnt play their little 2m handpasses around the backline because we layed pressure on.
Just take the loss like a man. For god sakes, you think people would have gotten over it by now.:rolleyes:
Actually we had a reasonable lead when they were kicking those behinds, so it wouldn't have made an ounce of difference if they kicked a couple of goals instead, as we would have just responded.
The same couldn't be said about Hawthorn if we were converting our shots at goal in the 2nd quarter, because we were killing it in the general play.
How do you know they would have responded, they didnt respond to hawthorn, did they?:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is Hodge rated so highly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back