Why is Messi better than C. Ronaldo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't matter how they were scored, they went in.

People nit picking over how a goal was scored to reach a record is ridiculous. It's amazing the lengths people will go to, to try and discredit someone.

Unless he scored 63 penalties, then it shouldn't matter.
Hehe, Cruyff. Think you missed what he was nitpicking on.

I'm sure Messi and Ronaldo didn't kick all those goals.

Even though we all hate Ronaldo I will mention he reached another milestone yesterday. He now has kicked 301 goals in his career to date.

Good point on SBS tonight - teams don't defend on anyone like they defend on Messi. Chelsea had 2 guys on him constantly and had a 3rd ready waiting behind them.

Teams don't defend like that on Ronaldo. Check his goal this morning, he's completely alone.

Anyway, they're very different players with different skills. Messi's the guy who sits deeper and tries to combine his way through a defense, while Ronaldo's usually running further up front and more towards the flanks waiting to get the ball played to him. At Barcelona Messi is the one playing the balls. It's fantastic how often he still manages to score. That is why he is the better player in my (admittedly biased) book. Each play to their own strength and couldn't do what the other does, but what Messi does is often more valuable to the team. It's scary how much we depend on him, unthanks him being surrounded by bloody good players.

Good point on SBS tonight - teams don't defend on anyone like they defend on Messi. Chelsea had 2 guys on him constantly and had a 3rd ready waiting behind them.

Teams don't defend like that on Ronaldo. Check his goal this morning, he's completely alone.

Anyway, they're very different players with different skills. Messi's the guy who sits deeper and tries to combine his way through a defense, while Ronaldo's usually running further up front and more towards the flanks waiting to get the ball played to him. At Barcelona Messi is the one playing the balls. It's fantastic how often he still manages to score. That is why he is the better player in my (admittedly biased) book. Each play to their own strength and couldn't do what the other does, but what Messi does is often more valuable to the team. It's scary how much we depend on him, unthanks him being surrounded by bloody good players.

thats so dumb i cant believe this guy said that. he has only 2 more assist than ronaldo, nice 'playmaking'. he scores the majority of goals for his team, nice 'assisting' and 'playmaking'. simply he attacks 70% of possesion and if he had half the tools of ronaldo would outscore ronaldo easily

Would suggest to actually watch Messi and Ronaldo once in a while.
why don't you learn about football instead of falling in love with your stars messi is hype machine #1. good playmakers setup more goals than they score. messi scores 3x more than he assists and dwarfs other scorers in his team. ozil is the number 1 playmaker in la liga with 16 assists. messi is the number 1 at dribbling into 4 players and losing the ball unless its a cup tie against division 2. ronaldo is too smart off the ball to go where messi the headless chicken goes

Seriously dude, drop the attitude. You're only impressing yourself if you were wondering.

Messi is not a playmaker. For most of the season he's played as a false 9. On paper he is our striker but in reatity he drops back constantly to mingle in midfield.

Like I said (by the sounds of it maybe you should just try to relax and read what I wrote), Messi and Ronaldo play in different positions, have different roles and have different skills. Ronaldo usually is further up the field and more towards the sideline. He doesn't come inside to look for Oezil, instead he will try to create space by running free, using his speed and athleticism. That simply suits him.

Messi generally stays in the middle much more, looking for Xavi and Iniesta behind him and Sanchez near him. With those players Messi will try to combine his way through the opponent's defense. Many of Messi's goals are the same actually - he'll appear in front of the goalie after a few quick passes with his teammates, or he'll move with the ball horizontally and wait for the right moment to shoot - 9 out of 10 times low in the far corner. He has scored so many goals like this.

Both players do very different things and yes, Messi is usually surrounded by more opponents. Crowding Ronaldo wouldn't be a good idea anyway - it's not how you should defend against him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what's with all the trolls around here of late?

anyway, ronaldo scored his 43rd overnight, madrid just about sealing the title. messi 1 goal after scoring twice (barca hit 7). madrid are 36 points ahead of valencia in 3rd place. amazing

what's with all the trolls around here of late?

anyway, ronaldo scored his 43rd overnight, madrid just about sealing the title. messi 1 goal after scoring twice (barca hit 7). madrid are 36 points ahead of valencia in 3rd place. amazing

Tis the sharp end of the season so more and more are going to come in.

Messi would trade his personal records if it meant his impact had any effect or relevance on the season.

Madrid broke all the team records
First time ever 3 players scored more than 20 league goals
Most away goals ever
Most goals scored ever
Most points (100) if they win the last match at home

How blessed are we to have these 2 great players going around at the same time and often in direct competition?

I would rate Messi the better player. but not gonna slag off Ronado to do it.

Messi plays in a shit team that got beaten at their home to Real Madrid.
I'll bite.

La Liga winners: 2005–06, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11
Champions League winners: 2005–06, 2008–09, 2010–11
FIFA Club World Cup winners: 2009, 2011

So remind me how Barcelona is a shit team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back