Why is there distaste between Brisbane & Sydney? (from a port fan)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I didn't really know you guys had some sort of rivalry (perhaps this is because of my ignorance), but in the lead up to this match, i've seen a lot of discontent between fans of each team. I'm not sure why this is?

Fill me in please?

ps. I have no idea who to tip in this match.....

I didn't really know you guys had some sort of rivalry (perhaps this is because of my ignorance), but in the lead up to this match, i've seen a lot of discontent between fans of each team. I'm not sure why this is?

Fill me in please?

Oh dear.

Maybe you should read the "Sydney is a Pissweak Club" thread again, this time being aware of things such as sarcasm and satirical humour.

I’m sure it’s been said a hundred times but if you look closely the v in riValry round stands for VFL, as no Victorian team leaves home. The rest just play amongst themselves until the AFL starts again the following week.

the real question is, what is the rivalry between Fitzroy and South Melbourne.

Plugger Lockett kicking a lazy 16 goals against the Roys causing their club to implode and eventually be taken over by the Brisbane Tyrants.

Before that I believe the rivalry was about which club had been the most piss-poor at football over the history of the VFL/AFL. A contest which we also won comfortably.

The rivalry between Brisbane and Sydney goes beyond football. We've always hated them - they think we're slow and that Brisbane's a big, dumb country town and we think Sydney people are pushy and full of themselves. That's what people's attitudes were like decades ago.

The old saying when refering to Queenslanders of "Add a hour (for daylight savings) and then subtract a hundred years" :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are trying to stimulate state of origin angst like in rugby league but it won't work. Brisbane has played a lot of down to the wire games against Sydney but hell, they are still a 1000 klm distance from BNE and not a backyard contender. Wait for the new team on the gold coast, I'll think you will find the rivalry changing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is there distaste between Brisbane & Sydney? (from a port fan)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back