Review Round 15, 2024 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the more disgraceful episodes I have witnessed in watching football over 50yrs was the PA supporters abusing their coach and as far as we could tell their players at games end. If Lions supporters ever lowered ourselves to this I would give it away. Also saw PA ferals walking out half way thru the 3rd qu. Truly pathetic.

Our boys looked truly pumped with their win. As they were entitled.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

One of the more disgraceful episodes I have witnessed in watching football over 50yrs was the PA supporters abusing their coach and as far as we could tell their players at games end. If Lions supporters ever lowered ourselves to this I would give it away. Also saw PA ferals walking out half way thru the 3rd qu. Truly pathetic.

I remember a demons fan was giving it to his team after another flogging back around Neilds day.
He was just standing to one side of the tunnel as they dragged their asses off he just lost it, frothing at the mouth
Never seen anything as bad as that guy but I ve always said I’d give it away before I got so low.

I remember a demons fan was giving it to his team after another flogging back around Neilds day.
He was just standing to one side of the tunnel as they dragged their asses off he just lost it, frothing at the mouth
Never seen anything as bad as that guy but I ve always said I’d give it away before I got so low.

Listened to a Roger Federer speech the other day. He talked about winning only 54% of points he has played showing that the point you are playing at that moment is the most important thing, but as soon as it's done, win or lose, that point is irrelevant. That's a really hard state of mind to achieve for a single athlete.

I thought of how our 23 players must have that exact attitude after every goal by either team to play like we did yesterday. And do it every week for 26 weeks to win a premiership. It's so close to impossible.

Obviously Charlie isn't in that zone ATM, so clearly teams can carry a player or two who aren't in the zone, but that's another thing to be balanced..

It shows how important fagan is to the process because he manages that level of focus for all the players every day from preseason to end of season. And probably during the off season as well (they can't tell players how to use their off season but imagine their will be suggestions about group trips).

The coaches do an almost impossible job that cannot be prescribed or planned, it is reactive to each players state of mine on every day. And the to players relationships with each other. 44 players + support is an insanely high number of interpersonal relationships that can impact performance.

I hope I never fall into the coach bashing level of the port supporters, or even the fagan haters here.

Last edited:
Listened to a Roger Federer speech the other day. He talked about winning only 54% of points he has played showing that the point you are playing at that moment is the most important thing, but as soon as it's done, win or lose, that point is irrelevant. That's a really hard state of mind to achieve for a single athlete.

I thought of how our 23 players must have that exact attitude afyer every goal by either team to play like we did yesterday. And do it every week for 26 weeks to win a premiership. It's so close to impossible.

Obviously Charlie isn't in that zone ATM, so clearly teams can carry a player or two who aren't in the zone, but that's another thing to be balanced..

It shows how important fagan is to the process because he manages that level of focus for all the players every day from preseason to end of season. And probably during the off season a week (they can't tell players how to use their of season but imagine their will be suggestions about group trips).

The coaches do an almost impossible job that cannot be prescribed or planned, it is reactive to each players state of mine on every day. And the to players relationships with each other. 44 players + support is an insanely high number of interpersonal relationships that can impact performance.

I hope I never fall into the coach bashing level of the port supporters, or even the fagan haters here.

I cant say I've come across any "fagan haters" on this board. The occasional criticism of a coach cant honestly be regarded as hate, can it?

View attachment 2027691

Nice graph that indicates how effective our defence was yesterday. No shots within 35 metres within a 30 degree angle.
This guy's website also shows that 2 of Port's goals came from centre bounces and the other 8 came from our front half. Which speaks to your comments yesterday about most (80%) of Port's goals coming from long-field transition.

Always something to work on isn't there. But exciting to think what we could achieve if we can get that aspect of our full ground defence right consistently as well.

On the other hand, the fact we only conceded 7 behinds from Port's front half suggests that if our midfield has a bit of a dirty day and we are struggling to get the ball forward regularly, our defence might still be good enough to keep us in the game.

I cant say I've come across any "fagan haters" on this board. The occasional criticism of a coach cant honestly be regarded as hate, can it?

You’re kind of right.

Sometimes the criticism is terrible, worrying about effort and structure and if we have a plan b.

Sometimes the criticism is valid, like his pressers being so bad Levi Ashcroft won’t want to come to us.

This guy's website also shows that 2 of Port's goals came from centre bounces and the other 8 came from our front half. Which speaks to your comments yesterday about most (80%) of Port's goals coming from long-field transition.

Always something to work on isn't there. But exciting to think what we could achieve if we can get that aspect of our full ground defence right consistently as well.

On the other hand, the fact we only conceded 7 behinds from Port's front half suggests that if our midfield has a bit of a dirty day and we are struggling to get the ball forward regularly, our defence might still be good enough to keep us in the game.

What was also interesting was that Ports first five goals were from the back half, and they kicked 5.0.30 and 0.1.1 from the centre bounce and 0.1.1 from the front half. This graphic was shown early in the second quarter.

In the late third quarter at 6.8.44 a similar graphic was shown that they were 0.6.6 from the front half. Not sure if those shots were worse quality or that it was coincidence that they shot accurately from one type and poorly from the other. It does go to show how even stats measuring our defence in turnover from our half can be easily swayed from the opposition kicking inconsistently.

According to the quarter by quarter, Port kicked a goal more accurate in the first half and ended up one goal less accurate for the match. So there’s a good chance they actually whiffed their forward half chances and did really well kicking their back half ones.

It’s why I find Carlton fans repulsive too, they were all doing exactly the same sh*t this time last year; and now that they’re winning it’s all sunshine and rainbows and “nobody believed in us” sh*t.

What was also interesting was that Ports first five goals were from the back half, and they kicked 5.0.30 and 0.1.1 from the centre bounce and 0.1.1 from the front half. This graphic was shown early in the second quarter.

In the late third quarter at 6.8.44 a similar graphic was shown that they were 0.6.6 from the front half. Not sure if those shots were worse quality or that it was coincidence that they shot accurately from one type and poorly from the other. It does go to show how even stats measuring our defence in turnover from our half can be easily swayed from the opposition kicking inconsistently.

According to the quarter by quarter, Port kicked a goal more accurate in the first half and ended up one goal less accurate for the match. So there’s a good chance they actually whiffed their forward half chances and did really well kicking their back half ones.
Yes, it would be more insightful to see the expected score for the shots broken up by where the possession chain originated.

I might suggest this to Mr Wheeloratings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

some really special moments today but morris' goal on the run from the angle 45 out.... wow
My highlight for the game was actually not on field, rather it was the reaction by Charlie and Starc and their emotive fist pumps when they were on the bench after Eric kicked I think his third in the second quarter. Screamed team success over individual success and just loved their enthusiasm for a teammate and the team just banging on goals; endearing stuff.

This means Port had an average expected score of 3.51 from their 7 front half shots, as opposed to 3.46 from their 12 back half shots. So slightly easier shots from front half. Which I'm a little surprised about; I thought a more open 50m arc would eventually lead to easier shots.

Truth be told we probably need a bigger sample size than one game.

At the other end, we averaged 2.72 from our 18 front half shots, vs 3.41 from our 13 defensive half shots. This is closer to what I'd expect as a standard/benchmark.

Something else I’ll say is Port did their usual MO against us of trying to beat us up, and physically dominate. First time I’ve really seen our boys come out on top in that regard - seems like their players were going off with minor injuries constantly and ours were getting up after every contest and kept running
I felt the same, particularly in that 2nd quarter, dare I say “boys against men”. We stood up, played hard, and really showed them how it’s done. Some reminders of watching a tough team 20ish years ago.

Gee I tell you what, after having a quick peek at the Port board it feels like they had some really high expectations for this one.
The crowd didn’t suggest so.
It was a very small and quiet crowd, that appeared resigned to the fact before it even happened.
It was very weird.
The crowd gave their team nuthin! Even early.
Probably the loudest cheer of the day was when JHF kicked a goal late in the third after the team not kicking one since early in the second.

The crowd didn’t suggest so.
It was a very small and quiet crowd, that appeared resigned to the fact before it even happened.
It was very weird.
The crowd gave their team nuthin! Even early.
Probably the loudest cheer of the day was when JHF kicked a goal late in the third after the team not kicking one since early in the second.
Had a quick look at their game day thread, and their first couple of pages from the morning were posters predicting a big Brisbane win.

It's good to see Big O getting the plaudits he deserves from the likes of Kane Cornes for his recent run of form. Interesting that the clubs ruck division have all stepped up a gear at the same time.

Gawn made some interesting comments after Melbournes match this weekend regarding the changing techniques of rucking this season and how he is in the process of adapting. I don't pretend to understand the dark and mysterious arts involved but perhaps ruckwork is evolving back to suiting the style of Big O.

I feel as though there could be some selection pressure at play here, across the list, although realistically with Fagan's natural tendency to back in his core, positions are not under threat at all. A rising tide lifts all boats and all that.

Anyway congrats Oscar. He is in the top couple of ruckmen in the comp recently and it's great to see.

It's good to see Big O getting the plaudits he deserves from the likes of Kane Cornes for his recent run of form. Interesting that the clubs ruck division have all stepped up a gear at the same time.

Gawn made some interesting comments after Melbournes match this weekend regarding the changing techniques of rucking this season and how he is in the process of adapting. I don't pretend to understand the dark and mysterious arts involved but perhaps ruckwork is evolving back to suiting the style of Big O.

I feel as though there could be some selection pressure at play here, across the list, although realistically with Fagan's natural tendency to back in his core, positions are not under threat at all. A rising tide lifts all boats and all that.

Anyway congrats Oscar. He is in the top couple of ruckmen in the comp recently and it's great to see.

They way they played last weekend means no one should be dropped. Nothing to do with fagans tendency. The only out of
form is Charlie's Goal kicking but if you watch him he is most certainly pulling his weight in defensive pressure around the ground. Including in the defensive 50.

Obviously someone will be because Will comes straight into the team. Bloody unlucky for the person dropped.

Big O is why you keep the faith and back Fages. A lot of people were calling for him to be dropped (which was insane to me). Kept the faith and he has turned it around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 15, 2024 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Back