Why wont SOS come to Carlton?

Remove this Banner Ad

when SOS left carlton it was like a very messy divorce. He co-operated with the AFL in the salary cap scandal which was not taken very well by a lot of carlton people who felt betrayed. Some of those people are still at the club.

id love to have him back at the club but it seems unlikley to happen whilst sticks is president and ratten is the coach.

Well technically, he sat on the Carlton One ticket to oust Elliot, and regardless of your feelings about Ian Collins, Elliot had to be challenged. His high profile ensured Elliot's demise. He and Bradley then went to Collins and told them about their promised payments outside the cap. Collins urged them to go forward and cooperate with the AFL as they already had us on toast over the O'Reilly confession, and it was better to clean the slate and get points for cooperating.

I see nothing wrong with this decision at all, and have yet to hear a valid reason why this was the wrong thing to do.

SOS did have his name dragged through the mud over this, as the Elliot backers did not appreciate his role in bringing down what I believe was rat pack like boy's club.

Of course we know that Collins left, Smorgon was booted and Sticks brought in Pratt and by association Elliot.

If you think of it in terms of political factions, the club is still being controlled by a different faction to the one SOS was in.

Curiously Bradley who was also involved in cleaning the slate with the AFL, sits alongside Ratten on game day.

Doesn't Jo Silvagni still get involved in Women of Carlton? That would suggest SOS is not totally lost to the club long term.

It's becoming obvious he has issues with the club.People in the know who know him socially say he doesn't want a bar of the Blues!

Rubbish. I've seen SoS at many games with his kids. Signing many many autographs, Jumpers. Claps and smiles at blues goals.
There is probably an awkwardness and resentment towards him from people still at the club, but he did what he was told was the BEST thing for the club at the time.

SoS the door is always open to you (as you would already know) and any Carlton person (coach,president,player,fan etc) that denied you entry through it has NO business at our club.:thumbsu: You're a champion of this great club, and always will be.

*I think people forget, But Sticks was part of BOTH admins at the time. love sticks as much as the next guy, but what was he telling SoS? What was he telling other players to do? Rumor is that SoS was convinced to come clean by the board at the time. We all heard about Fraser Brown on the golf course, but what about Bradley? Ratten? Kouta? they were also rumored to have been talked to.

the exact reason for the animosity is not clear. It is however related to the factions and infighting that occured in the aftermarth of the salary cap scandal. unfortunately, the legacy of that period of turmoil seems destined to last a generation.

a carlton premiership would go a long way to repairing burnt bridges

SoS the door is always open to you (as you would already know) and any Carlton person (coach,president,player,fan etc) that denied you entry through it has NO business at our club.:thumbsu: You're a champion of this great club, and always will be.

Agreed. .. Still my most favourite player ever even though it was soured a little by his involvement in one of our darkest periods ever. ..

He said he would not come back to the club while a certain person was still there.

I thought maybe he was talking about Fraser Brown, as he was not happy with what SOS done to the club. I remember Brown saying he should of kept his mouth shut. The same way Brown told Demitrou to take a hike. Threatened him with a law suit of conflict of interest, and Demitrou backed off.

Brown is the reason why Rat's is our coach. That is how much pull Brown has at the club. Just my opinion.

He said he would not come back to the club while a certain person was still there.

I thought maybe he was talking about Fraser Brown, as he was not happy with what SOS done to the club. I remember Brown saying he should of kept his mouth shut. The same way Brown told Demitrou to take a hike. Threatened him with a law suit of conflict of interest, and Demitrou backed off.

Brown is the reason why Rat's is our coach. That is how much pull Brown has at the club. Just my opinion.

Didn;t Brown put up large $$$ to get rid of Pagan....

$$$ talks eh?

My understanding of the SOS situation is that of ODN's...

I didn't realise Fraser had so much pull at Carlton. This is all very interseting isn't it.

He went into property development I believe has lots of $$$$

Plus his mum was a national netball coach, and you know Toady, no one messes with da netball coach :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just speculation but from what I've read so far Brown may be the reason SOS wont come back.

TBH whether its him or someone else, this is the past and all the people involved at that time need to move on.

Individuals should be afforded the chance to do what they believe is right. Fact is the club cheated and got caught. SOS fessing up wasn't going to change that.

However, the old 'nobody's bigger than the club' cliche comes to mind here and SOS is a legend of this club and if he can add something to ensure another premiership he should be allowed the opportunity to at least present his credentials.

Of course if he has said he will not come back to the club in any official capacity until certain a certain person or persons is no longer involved, that is his right and it makes it pretty cut and dried.

As with ODN

i know they were using the issue of tax to bring out bradley, sos and brown by the afl
and i remember fraser brown giving the AFL the "get fked" approach

while sos and bradley co-operated

the reason why bradley is back is because he in some sense apologised or came to a agreement in what happened
while sos wont

Carlton would love him, but there is still resentment from both ways

One of the many reasons why i love Mad-dog :)

my understanding is SOS never had a great relationship with the club anyway, every contract extension negotiation was a real battle, he used to screw the club for everything they had...in the end the salary cap scandel was just the icing on the cake.

Nonetheless, would be nice to have him working on our defence, we need it!

Just speculation but from what I've read so far Brown may be the reason SOS wont come back.

TBH whether its him or someone else, this is the past and all the people involved at that time need to move on.

Individuals should be afforded the chance to do what they believe is right. Fact is the club cheated and got caught. SOS fessing up wasn't going to change that.

However, the old 'nobody's bigger than the club' cliche comes to mind here and SOS is a legend of this club and if he can add something to ensure another premiership he should be allowed the opportunity to at least present his credentials.

Of course if he has said he will not come back to the club in any official capacity until certain a certain person or persons is no longer involved, that is his right and it makes it pretty cut and dried.

Didn't SOS allready coach our backline when Pagan was coach, and we didn't do to well back then.

my understanding is SOS never had a great relationship with the club anyway, every contract extension negotiation was a real battle, he used to screw the club for everything they had...in the end the salary cap scandel was just the icing on the cake.

That was Elliot's contention, after the fact. SOS got less than he could have got elsewhere.

I would believe SOS before I would believe Elliot in a heartbeat.

Not sure why anybody should have animosity towards SOS for coming clean, and Bradley certainly had nothing to apologise for.

O'Reilly had already spilled the beans. Would people rather we got done for that, then if the Bradley/SOS stuff came out after that, get done again? They merely asked Collo what they should do and Collo said to come clean to clear the slate and create some goodwill with the AFL. They did what the powers that be at the club wanted them to do.

We all love Brown's response, but it was all in the timing. The AFL did not have their case formed yet and Brown was one they approached to form it. With SOS and Bradley they already had their case because of O'Reilly.

Not sure why and how people think we should have kept this buried forever and a day. It would have come out eventually and it would have been worse.

SOS did nothing wrong and those choosing to believe Elliot's lying smear campaign should be ashamed. Wasn't he the one that said we did not breach the cap? How can you trust him, simply because he is passionate?

SOS & Braddles should have kept quite. No need for them to get involved and at worst should have done a Browny. Collo used them for his own purposes and Carlton suffered. Anyone saying differently needs to talk to the appropriate individuals.

SOS & Braddles should have kept quite. No need for them to get involved and at worst should have done a Browny. Collo used them for his own purposes and Carlton suffered. Anyone saying differently needs to talk to the appropriate individuals.

I don't believe we should be arguing against an individuals right to choose what to do. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't liked to be told, just like Fraser Brown didn't like it.

Doesn't mean everybody has to take the same line as Fraser did. Thats the beauty of being an individual isn't it, independent thought.

SOS was 'helping out' our backline during 04/05, he 'coached' Luke Livingston

Remove this Banner Ad

Why wont SOS come to Carlton?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back