Player Watch Wil Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he has a future but I'm just trying to work out what his position would be. He is a neat kick but clearly not a long one. He is average paced and shortish. Any suggestions?
atm a half back rebounding defender. But I think he could have the qualities to play on the wing. He's got good skills.

But he doesn't seem to have the pace a rebounding flanker requires. I do think he has something about him. He has a tough streak which belies that baby face.
he's def tough.
Remember that run down tackle he made a few weeks back?

Will be interesting to follow his development.

Was he a midfielder in the U 18s?
Never got the chance given he was in and out because of cricket, never really did a full footy pre-season because of it. And then went to cricket. I think they wanted to give him some mid time but wasnt fit to the standard because of his balancing the sports

Never got the chance given he was in and out because of cricket, never really did a full footy pre-season because of it. And then went to cricket. I think they wanted to give him some mid time but wasnt fit to the standard because of his balancing the sports
There was also the whole Covid thing going on

I think if any here watched Heath Shaw’s first 2 games at the end of one season, they would agree young Will has been better so far at the same stage. And look how that turned out
Heath had stand out traits though. Not sure what Wil offers that’s elite. Ball winning as a junior I guess.

I think HB to start with, release IQ to a wing.
Longer term could transition to the midfield, needs a couple of big preseasons tho.
I don't think IQ would be a very good wingman. He doesn't link up very well, or run and carry all that well, and isn't a great kick. He isn't all that clean under pressure either.

He is playing in his best spot - a deep small defender who excels when he is one on one with a small forward (especially in contested situations).

So every player who plays poorly in their first two games is going to be as good as Heath Shaw?
It was a bit of a silly comment, but given Parker was able to hold his own except for one moment (3rd Q when he allowed Cameron goal side in a marking contest so got burned down the wing) I think Saturday was encouraging.

On the night of Rd 0 he was still a cricketer and whilst I’m getting glimpses of the Shaw era (iffy skills, questionable pace and inability to get the ball) I think it says a bit that the club are prepared to go with him this early. Of all the guys on the list I’m most hopeful of getting a full pre-season in it’s him and Allan.

A final one from Saturday though. I was disappointed in Moore running past for the handball when Parker took that SOG. The drive by handball was a low % option and I would have preferred Darcy give him a Markov style pump up as he was going back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Writing off a kid who’s been able to come in and get selected for senior games ahead of better credentialed players, off the back off 3 years out of the game and no preseason is weird.

The kid clearly has a future.

I don't think IQ would be a very good wingman. He doesn't link up very well, or run and carry all that well, and isn't a great kick. He isn't all that clean under pressure either.

He is playing in his best spot - a deep small defender who excels when he is one on one with a small forward (especially in contested situations).
He’s literally been playing on the wing for the past few weeks and playing well at that. Have you not noticed?

Writing off a kid who’s been able to come in and get selected for senior games ahead of better credentialed players, off the back off 3 years out of the game and no preseason is weird.

The kid clearly has a future.
I agree with this, understand how important preseasons are to improving the physical side, skill development, understanding of games styles and structures, developing trust with teammates, everyone needs to remember this kid has never had one and he’s playing AFL right now. He’s been half in and half out in his development years and now totally committed in an elite environment and at most times looks to be at the level.

He’s a Cat B, he’s a free hit and currently getting games. Don’t understand any knock on this kid, his journey should be celebrated.

I’m not saying he will shoot the lights out but he’s as good a chance as any of our fringe players not best 22.

He’s literally been playing on the wing for the past few weeks and playing well at that. Have you not noticed?
Kicked a goal both weeks too.
Thought he has been very good on the wing personally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Wil Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back