Will Adelaide Oval attendances be disappointing?

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder what the long term value of the change in venue is as far as crowds go and also how it will affect the clubs bottom line. Have we been dazzled with smoke and mirrors?
Central location and supporting businesses close by.
New stands with mostly great views.
Better food options at the ground.

So parking isn't so great.
Public transport could do with some tweeks, still better than the old footy express.
Clubs lack a true home in the city.

If they can maintain the stands to a reasonable level and keep up the standards of the food, then it is up to the clubs to perform to keep the membership base.

Central location and supporting businesses close by.
New stands with mostly great views.
Better food options at the ground.

So parking isn't so great.
Public transport could do with some tweeks, still better than the old footy express.
Clubs lack a true home in the city.

If they can maintain the stands to a reasonable level and keep up the standards of the food, then it is up to the clubs to perform to keep the membership base.

I found parking easy as piss yesterday actually. It was a pleasant surprise, found parks everywhere about 30 minutes before the start of the game. I heard there were issues with public transport but I imagine (hope) that'll be rectified quickly. I know Adelaide probably felt at home over at AAMI but for us, AO feels like home.

Major issue I had was leaving the venue, a lot of congestion but it cleared up pretty quickly.

For all of you that didn't go to the game Saturday, for the love of God go this weekend, you won't regret it. Its an incredible stadium that will bolster our economy and encourage further sorely needed infrastructure upgrades to the rest of the city if its a success.

AAMI felt like a windswept shithole that was well past its used by date to me, because it was. I wasn't at the game Saturday, but did go to a couple of days for the Ashes test match, and I'm very happy that I will now be going there at least 11 times a year for the footy, instead of having to go to West Lakes.

With the loosening of licensing laws, which has allowed many new bars and eateries to open up in the backstreets of Adelaide, the fact that there's now generally something happening all the time in the city, the long neglected river front finally scheduled for redevelopment, and of course the new stadium, it actually feels like this city might finally be shedding its conservative and boring image. Who knows, if things keep going this way, Adelaide may even eventually become a somewhat attractive option for young professional footballers from interstate.

I I know Adelaide probably felt at home over at AAMI but for us, AO feels like home.

Well there was limited places at Westlakes to gather before or after a game. Shed, Checkside Tavern, Lakes or the mall. Now there is am overload of options most of them better than West Lakes. Not sure how well the indoor cricket venue for official after game functions will go, you will get some diehards along but most will look for other options I think.

I for one will be going to more games simply based on location. I've never been a huge fan of watching from the stands based on how little you see. But the benefits of where the stadium is in regards to where I live and the fact that I can go out afterwards will see me there probably twice as much per year.

Category 1 sold out, 2 - 5 single seats only and GA on the hill is at "limited availability" for our game vs Sydney.

If we had played at least more competitively on the weekend I would be confident of us beating the Showdown crowd this weekend, now not so sure, high 40s or about the same as the Showdown perhaps.

I I know Adelaide probably felt at home over at AAMI but for us, AO feels like home.

Of course AAMI was home. It was the only AFL standard ground available. There was no other home as the SANFL grounds couldn't hold the crowd Crows typically got/get.

I can't imagine too many people are sorry to see AAMI go, especially now that AO is built and being used. Most people when you question why they didn't support AO had a range of responses which were usually around the cost involved or that they loved Adelaide Oval as a smaller cricket ground. I've yet to hear anyone say they truly loved AAMI as a stadium.

I predict that crows supporters will set a trend for leaving the game early. After all, that bridge is only so wide.
No group of supporters will ever be able to match Port supporters in number, nor in speed, for leaving early. This lie that Port supporters always stay to the end no matter what, has been peddled by blind fools for as long as I can remember. The camera doesn't lie. Just check out early into the last quarter in the dream final. In fact the exodus started 3/4 of the way thru the third. There was a sea of teal…teal seats that is. Yeah so no trend to be set by crows supporters with this one, It's already been perfected as an art form by the teal.

For our Sydney game the hill has sold out, categories 1, 4 and 5 sold out, category 2 has "limited availability" and category 3 is single seats only. Unless the club can release some more tickets late this game will sell out tomorrow.

For our Sydney game the hill has sold out, categories 1, 4 and 5 sold out, category 2 has "limited availability" and category 3 is single seats only. Unless the club can release some more tickets late this game will sell out tomorrow.

Despite cat2 saying limited availability, just trying to buy one ticket says "no tickets matching your request".

Should definitely sell out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite cat2 saying limited availability, just trying to buy one ticket says "no tickets matching your request".

Should definitely sell out.

Found that as well. I've seen it happen before, I think it must happen when the ticket numbers are right on the line of the different classifications or perhaps the last tickets are in people's carts as they are checking out.

Let's hope there is a huge turn out.

Last edited:
The atmosphere was incredible but I was slightly disappointed with my seats.
I'm hoping as daylight savings kicks in it will be better, but I was dead set looking into a blinding sun for three quarters and was trying to block the sun out during that time.
I guess thats no different to AAMI, but I did walk away a little disappointed.
Incomparably better overall experience though.

The atmosphere was incredible but I was slightly disappointed with my seats.
I'm hoping as daylight savings kicks in it will be better, but I was dead set looking into a blinding sun for three quarters and was trying to block the sun out during that time.
I guess thats no different to AAMI, but I did walk away a little disappointed.
Incomparably better overall experience though.

I spoke to a current crows player who is a good friend of my family and he said the atmosphere is so much more different and even used the word extreme to that of Footy Park and he said that playing in the showdown as an away player he felt that the crowd was right in his face and right in the game as a force driving the Port players.

With that bit of info he was in no doubt that AO would become a real cauldron like fotress for both SA teams and a environment that opposition teams found extremely difficult to travel to, let alone win

I think the crowd this weekend will be excellent, and then will taper down to 40-45000 for the rest of the year (probably the lower end of that scale given our current form). I'll be surprised if there are any other 50,000+ games this year for either side.

ITS SOLD OUT! The AFC have just put up that the game vs Sydney is officially sold out.

Let's hope now that all members turn up so we can at least crack 50,398 (to beat Port's crowd) and hopefully break the SA AFL Record crowd of 51,140 (set for Port's Showdown in 2003).

I think we will definitely get over 50,000a few times this year, we will break it for Sydney, Collingwood (Th N), Showdown 37, Hawthorn (Fri N) & Maybe the two other Saturday Night games vs North M & Richmond and maybe the last game vs St Kilda (especially if Finals are on the line) - I cant wait to see what the stadium will look like for a night game!

I know this game was always going to sell out, but to do it so quick and as there were no 3 game members allowed into this game and no or minimal essential Crows guest passes available is a big thing. Well done AFC!

greetings crow fans.

it is truly amazing, the atmosphere, the access to the ground, the friendliness of the staff & security, the views, the noise, everything, it makes footy park seem like Chernobyl. its easily the best thing that's ever happened to both clubs in this state, really once people attend 1 game they will only want to go back for more, its that good.

unlike footy park the workers and security are actually friendly, they want to help and just let you go about having a good day at he footy, that was a big difference between the two grounds. at footy park it was like a battle, they were out to get you, looking for confrontation, how dare someone stand 1 cm outside a silly yellow line, how dare someone stand with a beer in their hand, there none of that at Adelaide.

I think you blokes will get up this week, backed them too at good odds. first home game at Adelaide, 50 000+ I think its a safe bet.

It would be great if the two teams get on a winning run at home this season. Make every team who comes here have a negative, losing experience first up. Last Saturday doesn't count :p someone had to lose.

We don't want opposition clubs to get a taste for coming here.

AAMI was a fortress early days until Port started coughing up unlosable finals to lower ranked teams in the early 00's. It broke the spell. Suddenly every club couldn't wait to come here. Made our job much harder.

;)

I can't see any reason why this won't be different from an AAMI sellout, there will still be members and season ticket holders who won't show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Adelaide Oval attendances be disappointing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back