Will Adelaide Oval attendances be disappointing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Easter Sunday 12:40 pm vs GWS will be pushing for a record or our next game after that in order Melbourne then Collingwood on a Thursday is an unknown (first night game for AO but is midweek) then we have the Suns and the Kangaroos.

We would want to start winning to attract big numbers to those games.

hi there, im from sydney and will be in adelaide this weekend. i don't have a ticket for the game, are there usually scalpers hanging around outside the ground ?
Thanks

If we don't get 50000 this week it will be shameful and very very embarrassing for our club.

I'll still say what I said before, to those that didn't go last week, you will love it, its really a great day, and you are not just going to the footy any more, the stadium has a different feel about it compared to AAMI. Last weeks game had a Grand Final feel about both inside and outside the stadium. There will be less no shows this year once people see the stadium, especially as there as so many more that won't get wet, unlike AAMI, as on a normal game last year we would have 8-10,000 no shows I think it could be as low as 3000-4000 per game this year once our supporters experience the New stadium and see how good it is and how much better views you get from all seats.

Do people not understand the concept of no-shows?

No matter what the weather, what the opponent, what the timeslot, every week you have to account for a few thousand ticket-holding no-shows. People get sick. People change their minds. People's lives take over. Some people just have money to burn and buy them and never use them.

Why are people constantly surprised at this? It's the human condition. 3000 no shows in a sellout of 53,000 is just over 5%. That means 95% of people who had tickets showed up. That is a fantastic strike rate.

It's such an idiotic discussion and it happens week after week. No-shows are a fact of life. When you have a birthday party does every single person you invite show up?

Well, if it's my birthday they do... but I digress.

How does Old Trafford achieve 99% of its 75,700 capacity every match? No birthdays or no one gets sick in Manchester?

How does Old Trafford achieve 99% of its 75,700 capacity every match? No birthdays or no one gets sick in Manchester?
You see what they did with their Champions League game? You buy a ticket and go, or your membership ticket for the next league game is suspended.

They are a whole different level of ruthless that we would ever be

Given the quality of their list and their ability to hang onto required players, I don't think Port will be playing crap for awhile.

Hang on to required players? Didn't they lose Chaplin, Burgoyne and Jacobs in the same year?

People have short memories.

Crow-mo (Vale?) had a theory on this that the football tickets are too cheap so people don't value them. You have to mortgage your house for season tickets to Man U so you'd better bet that people want to get their money's worth.

Crow-mo (Vale?) had a theory on this that the football tickets are too cheap so people don't value them. You have to mortgage your house for season tickets to Man U so you'd better bet that people want to get their money's worth.

Upwards of 100 million fans (and probably close to 1.5 million fans just in Manchester), and a population twice as big as Adelaide helps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be pretty poor if we did. Should be close to 50k vs Sydney and 40K plus average for all games.

yeah I was taking the piss. Reckon about 49k this week and mid-40s for most of the year.

Got a gut feel we'll play well this week and put momentum into our season.

This is an interesting article

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-03/noshow-members-hurt-crowds

specifically this line...

Of the 34,291 Richmond members who had access to general admission seats in the Tigers' Thursday night clash against Carlton in round one, only 12 per cent (3,991) attended.

No shows certainly arent unique to us! If this is an AFL trend and the AFL are quoted saying they need to look at ways to increase members attendance then hopefully there can be more chance of solutions.

For an onselling system to happen the AFL would have to be on board (to work out distribution of $$, etc to allow it) so maybe with them acknowledging the problem that could be more likely as a solution,

Selling unused tickets again could be a massive cash boost for whoever can figure out how to do it.

would be in our case since we have such a high rate of sold out games

depending on the system and pricing it could actually mean a loss for the AFL if people were purchasing these tickets with the member getting most of the $$ as less match day tickets would get sold

thats why the AFL would need to be on board and would limit the way they implement it (sold out games only?)

How would members react to an "Intend to Attend" email being sent to them a week prior to the match? They have up until the night before to say if they are intending to attend the game and if they haven't said anything then the tickets become available at the gate. With the games being at AO now it's far more feasible for people to just rock up on the day and buy a ticket. However they would have to sit in the members section and I'm not sure how other members would feel about that.

When the ticket exchange system is back up and running next year, if the club doesn't set up an adequate system for matching people with tickets to people wanting tickets, we should set up our own external system.

It could be as simple as a thread where you can say "I can't make it this week, I have 2 tickets to give away/sell for X dollars"

We can then keep a list of available tickets and prices and people can come to the thread to see if there are any available.

The first post could be updated with user history/e-bay style feedback to help protect from people trying to scam it.

Hang on to required players? Didn't they lose Chaplin, Burgoyne and Jacobs in the same year?

People have short memories.
Chaplin - somehow I don't think the ferals will miss the turn ovet king

Burgoyne - great player but 2 x 1st round draft picks should more than soften the blow.

Jacobs - who ??

The level of no-shows for the Crows has historically been lower than Port Power and the Victorian teams. Until a few years ago there was not a culture of purchasing memberships in Victoria since the MCG and Docklands would very rarely be sold out. The situation was different in SA and WA so the Crows and Eagles led the membership figures. In 2006 Adelaide had 50,138 members and West Coast 44,138 which was the maximum possible due to the capacity of Footy Park and Subiaco (this was before clubs started counting interstate members/kids memberships/ pet memberships/three game memberships). Collingwood had 38,038, Hawthorn 28,003, Richmond 29,406 and Poort 35,648.

If you accept that Port sold the whole 53.500 tickets last week, with perfect weather and the excitement of the first ever game at the "New" Adelaide Oval then we will never get over 50,000 again. I personally believe that some of the no-shows were tickets that Poort held back and didn't sell and we will exceed the 50,000 mark in several games this year. I suspect that we have also kept some tickets back for late membership sales so I doubt whether exactly 53,500 have a ticket to attend on Saturday.

The level of no shows will depend on the time of the match (local and country footy will impact the crowd on Saturday), school holidays (Easter Sunday is a great time slot), the weather plus the current form of the Crows.

I expect the percentage of no shows to fall for the Crows this year for two main reasons

1) Nearly twice as many members will be under cover. People are increasingly reluctant to sit in the rain when they can watch the match live on Foxtel

2) Inproved age profile of Crows members. I suspect that a significant number of older members have decided not to move to Adelaide Oval (particularly amongst the old Footy Park members) and these have been replaced with interest with new, younger members.

How would members react to an "Intend to Attend" email being sent to them a week prior to the match? They have up until the night before to say if they are intending to attend the game and if they haven't said anything then the tickets become available at the gate. With the games being at AO now it's far more feasible for people to just rock up on the day and buy a ticket. However they would have to sit in the members section and I'm not sure how other members would feel about that.
With the SMA being 50% SACA they would view sitting in the Members as a privilege not a right, past history of SANFL guest passes at footy park points to them having similar views.

Who has the job of sorting through 20K of emails for the members section? What about season ticket holders who have a reserved seat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Adelaide Oval attendances be disappointing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back