kouta_43

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2002
Melton
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
With all the player exchanges made in trade week, and the likes of Stevens or Rawlings plus our priority pick yet to come could carlton push for the finals in season 2004?

Nice to hear of you CharlieG?

Though Carlton will not finish anywhere near the bottom of the ladder my tip 10-12th

Not a hope in hell,
and not in 2005 either!

2006 is a possibility, but I still think by then the way some teams are going (Collingwood, Fremantle, St. Kilda, Geelong, Sydney and even Essendon) ... there will still be 11-12 sides with better depth and a better list than Carlton at that stage.

12 - 14 sounds fair.

Though you still may have couple of draft picks next year, depending who plays in your ruck.

Though by 2005 I think you will be in a 2004 - 05 assuming that you continue to recruit this well.

Nope

No. Have people already forgotten round 22?

They may have recruited some handy players, but they are no guns, and have lost good players through retirement. They have only won seven games in the past two years (7-37)... to then win 12-13 in a season is highly unlikely.

2004: 10-16th.

A couple of new recruits doesnt give the team an automatic bond...it will take till 2005 for the group to bond and mature as a group together.

13th spot
Finals: 2005.

I reckon with the 'friendy' fixture, you are in with a chance of finish as high as 8th and as low as 12th...

you should get a good kid at pick 2 and stevens in the PSD, and possibly an enforcer like lawrence or ray hall with your second PSD pick.

you're centre line looks pretty good with stevens, kouta, scotland, hulme etc

I expect hartford will be used as a short HFF or an enforcer in the middle as he is too slow to play HBF or wing.

Fatty and fevola should go ok at CHF and FF, lappin of the HBF...

johnson of a wing, and your defence has Teague who will be a quality CHB in the absence of beaumont.

While it s a competetive side, Kouta is 31, stevens is a little soft and your defence very young.

I suspect you'll lose a few games in the middle, as while scotland/johnson/stevens etc are good solid players, they are not a top 8 midfield (ie akkers, v1, black, lappin, krays, power/licuria, burns, woewodin, buckley/harvey, lenny, dal santo/kerr, judd, cousins/ etc will still be better than your team for a while).

2004 will see you with another top 10 draft pick, and possibly trade on some of your ordinary players into a second 1st round pick and another in the top 20, as well as a top5/6 pick in the PSD.

by 2005, if pagan can keep his hat on, you'll be a competitive side.

on the other hand the new players might clash with the old players and it all turn to ashes... heres' hoping:D

last....who will finish below them????

dont forget that they have traded well, but realistically they have lost 4 players i would place in there top 10 in exchange for young fringe players from other clubs. Give those fringe players time to settle then they may have what resembles a team.

From what i saw last year, Mckernan, Beaumont, Murphy (and we all no how good allan was in 2000) held that team to 'together'- even tho carlton supporters will strongly disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the bottom 3 teams will be the same again next year, but possibly a different order, although overall they win more games. The blues trading hasn't changed the fact that their squad is brittle, much like ours, and their form will depend on a handful of players. Depth is the key issue.

Originally posted by theorangeapple
From what i saw last year, Mckernan, Beaumont, Murphy (and we all no how good allan was in 2000) held that team to 'together'- even tho carlton supporters will strongly disagree.
Of course we would strongly disagree but not for the sake of it ... mainly because it is the most stupid statement I have read about Carlton in a long time (and believe me there have been plenty of them).

McKernan had a shocker of a year. Disinterested and dispirited. He played one good quarter for the year period.

Beaumont had one of his worst seasons since he was a youngster and even though I have a soft spot for Beauy, he was really found out with his disposal and his accountability in 2003.

Murphy ....? OMG the ultimate in silliness. Had a good game playing an opportunist forward against Richmond and did diddly for the whole year apart from that. He sulked, he never chased and his one attribute which is getting the ball was well down on previous years. Not only did Murphy NOT hold us together, he undermined the team, the coach and the club. He is a bad egg.

Not sure what it was you saw but I suggest it was only a fleeting glimpse. Our best performers which was shown in our B&F were McKay, Kouta, Fevola, Camporeale, Thornton, Waite, Lappin and Houlihan. The guys you mentioned weren't even on the same page as these guys and were traded for a reason. Apart from Beauy, nobody is the least bit concerned about them leaving and wanted them delisted anyway.

Those orange apples are obviously being treated by some pretty heady stuff!

Originally posted by theorangeapple

OMG... Not even going to comment.

No need to start threads about us making the 8, just makes us seem like we're getting ahead of ourselves. At my most optimistic I reckon we'll finish 9th. Realistically though, I think 10th-12th.

Those orange apples are obviously being treated by some pretty heady stuff!

yeh when i wrote that i new i was in for some sh*t but its just my opinion. I saw them first hand in perth when the eagles whalloped them, i remember mckernan absolutely blitz us considering the dismal disposal and the 2 men he had on him - everthing he touched went to gold (im not sure if that was the game ure refering to?).

Murphy i tend to agree with but on the right team (like the bombers) his flashy yet unaccountable style will work well IMO - although that is not what u wanted obviously. he did offer something u did lack which is skill and pace.

Allan is a quality player and worth truckloads more than pick 60.

Beaumont is premiership KPP defender..and if mckay retires then id like to see thornton take on the "gorillas" byhimself.

As i said my opionion is that u guys have lost 3 of your best 10 players and replaced them with part timers - who couldnt get games at the other clubs so i have no idea how they are supposed to beat them...when combined.

Originally posted by kouta_43
With all the player exchanges made in trade week, and the likes of Stevens or Rawlings plus our priority pick yet to come could carlton push for the finals in season 2004?
NO !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Carlton make top 8 in season 2004?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back