Will Judd turn into a Akermanis

Remove this Banner Ad

May 1, 2007
Hawksburn
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
INTER MILAN, VICTORY
im really worried that Chris Judd might turn into a Jason Akermanis after he moved to the dogs and has done nothing what so ever...

i think we shouldnt put to much pressure on Judd next season, i think it might even take him a season or so to settle in at the blues, i hope he fits in straight away, but when i look at Aker it gets me scared

Akermanis was already past his prime, Judd is IN his prime.

Saying Aker has done nothing is also far from the truth. He has contributed to that side quite a bit this year. The only reason why he looks bad is because the Bulldogs aren't performing.

No.

Firstly Akermanis is 29 and his hamstrings are gone. Also he plays more of an outside role and the Bulldogs never seemed to look for him like they did at Brisbane.

Judd is 24, in the prime of his career and simply is an inside ball getter so it doesn't really matter whether his teamates get him the ball.

I think all this low expectations stuff is very negative thinking. We did pay a massive price for him. While I don't expect him to win a brownlow, I do expect him to average 25+ quality possesions a match, and show the same ability he did at the Eagles.

For a start, Akermanis is certainly no Judd. + They completely different players.
But who knows. He could be the usuall Judd next year or he could be a bit under the radar. Only time will tell but for now we are judging Judd on what we have seen, not what we may be seeing.

I think we have every right to put pressure on Judd. We gave up a lot to get him, and he's costing us over a million a year. He's the best though, and we expect the best. :thumbsu:

I think we have every right to put pressure on Judd. We gave up a lot to get him, and he's costing us over a million a year. He's the best though, and we expect the best. :thumbsu:

I second that, if he was playing for Eagles next year, supporters would expect to see the same old Juddy, and we will expect that ourselves. If anything, players of his age usually take their game to the next level...of course in Judd's case I don't know WTF that would be, maybe he'll start just levitating around the field or something, I don't know, but at his age, you don't expect a lesser effort thats for sure.

True.
People need to realise though that Judd didn't exist in a bubble.

The phenomenon that we saw over the past 5-6 years is as much a product of his coaches game plan, dominant team mates and fitness as it was his pure football ability.

Don't get me wrong, he is a gun BUT:
  • No Cox, Cousins, Kerr, Embley, Fletcher
  • Different game plan, new coach feeling his way
  • New teamates. We will zig when he zags - initially he may run to spots that we don't think to look. He got LOADS of help in the way of hard running teamamtes to block for him, dominant Cox tapping into his line etc.
  • He has to prove his fitness
All this taken into account I give Judd a quiet first half of the season, as Aker had.

By the second half of next year, assuming he is fit, he and the rest of the team should be used to the game plan, should be getting used to each other and where to look for one another.........and with any ounce of luck Aisake will be slotting it down Judd's throat.:thumbsu:

I agree with the points made by Bluebear, but at the same time, these guys are proffesional sportsmen, sure he may need a game or two to fully settle into our style, but surely not half a season. He will just need to work hard, I'll give him a few games without too much pressure, but as an experienced 24 going on 25 year old, getting paid reportably 1.2 mil, we can't expect to pay him 600 grand to 'settle' in.

im really worried that Chris Judd might turn into a Jason Akermanis after he moved to the dogs and has done nothing what so ever...

i think we shouldnt put to much pressure on Judd next season, i think it might even take him a season or so to settle in at the blues, i hope he fits in straight away, but when i look at Aker it gets me scared

It's a lot easier playing amongst a team of champions and it will definately be a lot harder for him this year as he will be playing amongst an average list of players. No Cox will be the most noted thing as Cox certainly made Judd's life easy at WC. Cox, Cousins, Kerr, Embley as opposed to Ackland, Stevens, Murphy, and? It actually looks pretty scary when you look at it that way. You wouldnt want Stevens to go down again or you would be in huge strife.

True.
People need to realise though that Judd didn't exist in a bubble.

The phenomenon that we saw over the past 5-6 years is as much a product of his coaches game plan, dominant team mates and fitness as it was his pure football ability.

Don't get me wrong, he is a gun BUT:
  • No Cox, Cousins, Kerr, Embley, Fletcher
  • Different game plan, new coach feeling his way
  • New teamates. We will zig when he zags - initially he may run to spots that we don't think to look. He got LOADS of help in the way of hard running teamamtes to block for him, dominant Cox tapping into his line etc.
  • He has to prove his fitness
All this taken into account I give Judd a quiet first half of the season, as Aker had.

By the second half of next year, assuming he is fit, he and the rest of the team should be used to the game plan, should be getting used to each other and where to look for one another.........and with any ounce of luck Aisake will be slotting it down Judd's throat.:thumbsu:

Once again Bluebear your signature has delivered many laughs... the pressure is on!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You wouldnt want Stevens to go down again or you would be in huge strife.

I disagree. Steven went down in round 3... we still managed to finish 6th in the league for points for. He doesn't have a great defensive game and therefore he wouldn't of helped out points against. Suggesting all that I see Stevens returning to the Carlton side as a bonus on this year. We still functioned pretty well without him, add Judd to the midfield we look great, add Stevens as well and we look sensational.

It's a lot easier playing amongst a team of champions and it will definately be a lot harder for him this year as he will be playing amongst an average list of players. No Cox will be the most noted thing as Cox certainly made Judd's life easy at WC. Cox, Cousins, Kerr, Embley as opposed to Aisake/Cloke/Hampson, Stevens, Murphy, Simpson, Walker, Scotland, Carrazzo, and? It actually looks pretty scary when you look at it that way. You wouldnt want Stevens to go down again or you would be in huge strife.
[Edited for accuracy]
Imagine if that was Laycock/Hille, Watson, Winderlich and Monfries...........:eek::eek:

I can't think of a single reason why he didn't choose the Dons.:eek:

It's a lot easier playing amongst a team of champions and it will definately be a lot harder for him this year as he will be playing amongst an average list of players. No Cox will be the most noted thing as Cox certainly made Judd's life easy at WC. Cox, Cousins, Kerr, Embley as opposed to Ackland, Stevens, Murphy, and? It actually looks pretty scary when you look at it that way. You wouldnt want Stevens to go down again or you would be in huge strife.

This is said a lot, Firstly, the Eagles midfeild was always quality, but this was because people first thought of Judd, well now we do, then it was Cox, Kerr, Embley Cousins ect. Well im not saying we are as good, but Stevens is elite, and Murphy and co are young, but no duds themselves. I dont actually think it'll be an issue, sure we don't have Cox, but I have seen Judd still dominates games if Cox aint playing, and even for that matter, ive seen him ruck himself and break away to kick goals....just wishful thinking from opposition supporters I think....people seem to forget that Eagles were a team of champions because they had the champion of champions playing with them.

And I reckon Judd will be very very very keen to show the footballing world that he still has it. Really though, he has only just turned 24, so who knows what he could churn out next year.

It's been just over 3 weeks since his abductor release surgery, so hopefully he is doing some sort of exercise - swimming perhaps? Dr. Bluebear, can you assist?

I disagree. Steven went down in round 3... we still managed to finish 6th in the league for points for. He doesn't have a great defensive game and therefore he wouldn't of helped out points against. Suggesting all that I see Stevens returning to the Carlton side as a bonus on this year. We still functioned pretty well without him, add Judd to the midfield we look great, add Stevens as well and we look sensational.

He went down in round 3 and you finished 15th hence i dont think you would want him going down again. Also, having him fit and playing will help take the pressure off Judd so i think he is extremely important for you. The pressure/expectation on Judd this season will be huge but Stevens is one senior player who will be able to take some of that load.

I wouldnt go as far as saying your MF will be sensational, i reserve those sorts of acholades for the likes of Geelong, West Coast (prior to the upcoming season), Brisbane (during there dominant period) but you should definately win your fair share of the ball..

This is said a lot, Firstly, the Eagles midfeild was always quality, but this was because people first thought of Judd, well now we do, then it was Cox, Kerr, Embley Cousins ect. Well im not saying we are as good, but Stevens is elite, and Murphy and co are young, but no duds themselves. I dont actually think it'll be an issue, sure we don't have Cox, but I have seen Judd still dominates games if Cox aint playing, and even for that matter, ive seen him ruck himself and break away to kick goals....just wishful thinking from opposition supporters I think....people seem to forget that Eagles were a team of champions because they had the champion of champions playing with them.

That's a big call. I myself could not seperate Judd, Cousins and Kerr as they are all equally brilliant.

I wouldnt class Stevens as elite. He could be elite and has the potential but he has not reached that stage yet.

I dint say Murphy and co were duds but they are far from being in the same league as the WC midfield.

I wouldnt put it down to wishful thinking, i would say it is having an opinion. I actually wanna see Judd do well (as long as the Blues dont win too many games:) so thats not the case at all...

That's a big call. I myself could not seperate Judd, Cousins and Kerr as they are all equally brilliant.

I wouldnt class Stevens as elite. He could be elite and has the potential but he has not reached that stage yet.

I dint say Murphy and co were duds but they are far from being in the same league as the WC midfield.

I wouldnt put it down to wishful thinking, i would say it is having an opinion. I actually wanna see Judd do well (as long as the Blues dont win too many games:) so thats not the case at all...

Not really a big call if saying Judd is better than Kerr and Cousins...I dont think anyway. I was never saying we are in the same league as Eagles midfield, but people make it seem like now Judd was only great because he was in a great team, he will be just as great in any team...

I still think people will be suprissed with our midfeild next year, add in Stevens & Judd, take away the best tagger from Murphy, take away pressure from Walker, Carrazo to possibly keep improving, Hadley to regain his old form, Gibbs and Betts to have burst in their...a few ifs I know but if you want a big call, well here it is:

By years end, provided we don't have any serious injuries, our midfield will be considered top 3 in the comp, with geelong, and ill leave the 3rd as undecided....I seriously believe this as a real possibility.

Judd once fit will be right
But like someone's thread earlier in the week suggested, he better work on that overhead mark otherwise I will be disappointed.
Long days and happy nights

He went down in round 3 and you finished 15th hence i dont think you would want him going down again.

re read what I wrote. Stevens defensive game is not great. He would not of helped us there hence would not of helped the fact we finished 15th. Considering we were 6th in the league for points for adding him to the side is a bonus. He is not going to help our points against. Also to consider our points for and against were about 400 odd apart... not bad considering the 3-4 beltings we received this year. Stevens will help our mid field give our forwards first use, our backline will have a solid pre season under their belts and should perform a lot better.

PLenty to look forward too!

re read what I wrote. Stevens defensive game is not great. He would not of helped us there hence would not of helped the fact we finished 15th. Considering we were 6th in the league for points for adding him to the side is a bonus. He is not going to help our points against. Also to consider our points for and against were about 400 odd apart... not bad considering the 3-4 beltings we received this year. Stevens will help our mid field give our forwards first use, our backline will have a solid pre season under their belts and should perform a lot better.

IF your winning the ball out of the centre of course it is going to have an impact on your defence. Generally if your MF is getting beaten, your defence is under constant pressure. If your midfield is winning, the ball will be going into defence far less often so i consider it quite strange that you dont think having Stevens in your side would effect your performance/position at all. Quite a stunning thing to say, particularly from a Carlton supporter.

Stevens would have proved a mojor difference for your team this year and he would be sorely missed next year if he is not there to support Judd.

Disagree here chels.

Our big problem has been ball use.

We win loads of stoppages, even when we were getting belted we often still did quite well in this area.

Our problem was this.
We win the ball. All our mids (bar maybe Banno tagging) runs forward to receive at this point.
After a couple of handballs, the ball is clear and we kick upfield.........turnover.

Now our mids have instantly gone from 5-10m in front of tyheir man to 5-10 behind.
We look up and wonder why there are "so many lose men running around........MAN UP!!.... we shout."

Ball comes into the defence regularly without much pressure.
No defence in the league can handle this sort of pressure.

Now, add Judd and Stevo.
Hit the target going forward, the opposition mids now have to keep chasing our running forwards, others can turn to find their man. Now if we turn it over it comes back under pressure.

Secondly, if that target we hit is a forwrd inside 50 we get to stop and catch our breath. Teams with poor skills often look unfit..........they have to run and chase more.

Stevo would have made a difference in the games we lost by 3-4 goals which could have seen us 6-7/11 mid year and thinking about finals.

Add Judd and get one ruck in Aisake or Hampson to take a step up and we could see some 6-7 goal turnarounds from results last year IMO.

Just my thoughts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Judd turn into a Akermanis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back