Will Melbourne and Nth Melb be around in 10 years time ?

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't want to be bailed out, we just want to play at a stadium where we get the benefit of pulling a crowd. We averaged 40k for our home games in Melbourne and got a total of $600k. Geelong make $750k on ONE game at Skilled off 25k.

No you didn't, just under 35K in reality. 12.5% less. Pedantic -yes, but still, let's keep things accurate.

I think the new teams would add a lot long-term, just don't know how they will go in the short-term. I think the AFL would need to have a smaller stadium in Melbourne if they are going to add GC, WS and possibly a Tasmanian team in the future. Based on what the current stadiums return and the break-even mark a lot of clubs are going to struggle to make any money on games against them.

I really think they need to resolve the stadium issue in Victoria before they add more interstate teams. They just seem to be talking with no real action happening. I think the AFL should look at buying out what is left on TD or look at building a cheap smaller clean stadium with a 25-30k capacity.

maybe the new Melbourne Victory & Storm stadium could be used for AFL when these team come in

We don't want to be bailed out, we just want to play at a stadium where we get the benefit of pulling a crowd. We averaged 40k for our home games in Melbourne and got a total of $600k. Geelong make $750k on ONE game at Skilled off 25k.

Swans make $12m from stadium revenue, we only make about $6m because TD retains so much money yet we have comparable home game attendance figures and Swans still get financial support.

Add $6m onto our bottom line and take away the support we get and we would still be miles ahead of your club. We are just getting robbed blind by TD/MCC because the AFL gave them free license to rob us.

so do you make $6mill a year from TD or $600K?

Who owns Skilled?

Of course Geelong earn per capita.

Under what possible logic would you think they wouldnt?

North chose to give up its interstatet games knowing full well the stadium arrangements.

Very rich to then complain, particularly given the millions the AFL has already given you.

another "will melbourne survive" thread. original and very boring.
yes we will survive and no we wont need to tank to buy players to build our team

That's ok... you can just lure players across by getting them to stand inthe middle of an empty MCG so they can get used to how the atmosphere will be on matchdays... :)
Oh, thats right... as was evident by Judd, ROK, Warnock etc all giving the Dees the bird, no one wants to go to Melbourne anyway... :thumbsu:

If it wasn't for the AFL and their quota of games at the TD, we (GFC) would probably earn more money from gate reciepts, being able to get the TD and the MCG to bid against eachother for our 2 (not 3) requested games in Melbourne each year

IMHO:

Melbourne - yes.
North - no.

If based on effort it probably should be the other way around. Melbourne have squandered every opportunity and competitive advantage they have ever had, come from a position absolute strength to a position of absolute feebleness. At least North have fought tooth and nail, the Demons with the advantage of being the oldest club, huge success in their state league in it's formative and consolidation years have gone from virtually the most supported team in Victoria to probably the least. They have contributed to their own downfall and their supporters cries of "we are the oldest club - you can't get rid of us or we have the name Melbourne" smacks of delusional idiocy. If one of these teams was to get the arse, it should be Melbourne through it's own crapiness and ineptness.

Not sure it will hapen though - after some signs that the AFL was truely becoming a national game in the early and mid parts of this decade, there does now seem to be a real shift back to it's historic Vic-Centricity and terms like "heartland" eminating out of Telstra Dome are becoming more and more fashionable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are some very ignorant and arrogant responses by some people on this thread. The suggestion that North or Melbourne contributes nothing to football, or that their disappearance would not detract from the game at all is ridiculous.

To give an example to the Essendon supporters on this thread: would the game have been as good without the epic battles of the late 90s and early 00s, including possibly the greatest game ever; the performances of Carey against Essendon; the Hird Archer jumper exchange (I could go on)? Clearly not.

To answer the question in the OP: I've been supporting North seriously for about 22 years now. I don't think at any time I've been sure we'd still exist in 10 years (although we have managed two flags in that time among other things). Under current management, and with the direction we're heading in, I feel more confident that we'll be there in 10 years than I have at any other stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Melbourne and Nth Melb be around in 10 years time ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back