Will Melbourne play ugly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sanecow

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
But this week, arguably the best thing for football and certainly the best thing for Melbourne, is for the Demons to adopt a game plan straight from marketing hell.

National bookmaker Sportsbet yesterday listed Melbourne at $34 to beat Geelong and Geelong at $1.01 to win. These are not so much odds as malicious slander. Never before in 111 years of VFL and AFL football has a team been treated with such naked disdain by pundits and punters.

Melbourne coach Dean Bailey has a choice. He can coach proper football, where players are told to take risks and run the lines and back their team-mates and attack the game as best they can; or he can slow the game to a trickle, run down the clock, hog possession in his defensive half and frustrate the hoops off that freaky-good team from Geelong.

In truth, Bailey has no choice at all. Fight the good fight and his team will almost certainly lose by close to 100 points for the third consecutive week. Channel Ugly Betty and Melbourne just might pull off the greatest upset of all.

The rest of the article is here:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23469108-5012432,00.html

I'd like to see it! :thumbsu:

I don't agree.

If we are going to re-build, we need to stick at Bailey's gameplan, which obviously isn't negative football. Thus, run the lines, even if continue to cop a few batterings along the line.

Melbournes game plan on Sunday.

flood.jpg

Flooding's for teams that don't have anything better to do. There is a gameplan that Bailey is trying to implement, so it would be pointless not playing to it just because we're playing the best team.

Stick to the game plan! The players need to perfect the game plan Dean is trying to implement.

However in saying that, It would be nice to see Maloney flatten Bartel :D

does it really matter? they could put 18 men inside geelongs fwd 50 and they would still lose by a lot.

k i have to sides for this so let me rant

firstly for the flood
rich v adel as you remember in most recent history the biggest upset, i was at a mates 30th and checking the scores on my phone and i thought my phone was fruiting up, so the tactic works. so thus if we wanna put a tenner on melbourne to win, sure we would love it to happen

secondly against
one word sydney, i have created a hate for this club because of it, it took them to 2 grand finals, both grand finals wce should have spanked sydneys arses they were in one and i was jumping up and down proclaiming that maybe just maybe sydney would learn, they lost by about 2 goals. i was pissed. but none the less...

My point
my point is that for sydney and richmond it worked, wallace was granted almost as a god for playing with richmonds side that beat, sure it looked ugly but as a coach he did what was required for his side, so good on him. the good thing is with richmond they havent done that style a lot. my other example sydney has done it for a while no, admittendly they are getting over it, but it still happens on occasions, which side would i go for, i would say the for it, we do it once, cause ruffles in feathers even if we dont win it would be good still, remember people the team we lost less to in 2008 is geelong i believe and in a nab cup they decided it would be absolutely necessary to blood their almost strength side. geelong has no remorse for melbourne. i believe a passion to kill them almost but this is our turn to get one back. btw if you think they were just trying to blood players, the next game against st kilda they rested most of their players. i was dumbfounded...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that Melbourne is at the longest odds in history to beat Geelong must mean that if Geelong lost to Melbourne it would be one of the most embarrasing losses in the history of the AFL so the pressure on Geelong NOT to lose must be significant.

If we get Rivers, Whelan and Frawley back this week maybe we can lift and put enough pressure on the Cats to cause a boil over....heres hoping anyway :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Melbourne play ugly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back