Review Good/bad/ugly vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Second forward entry another howler. More crowded forwardline, but Langdon has an easy 15 metre kick to ANB on his own who has Petracca nearby to assist. Decides to go for a high up and under kick to Fritsch's head who's hemmed himself into the pocket. JVR manages to intercept as it comes back out and now Carlton have gotten back. Petracca is pointing to his leading lane along the boundary line which is ignored and now he's covered but Trac keeps the lane open. Petty then decides to take it only for JVR to once again kick it far too long and Petty has to stop and attempt a contested mark.
Watch the whole game and tell me how shit we are im edging to this

Geez I was pretty zen last night but I’m filthy this morning. Basically means our next 3 are absolute must wins if we are to make top 4, then we have another test against the pipies.
I was Zen until Trac took a mark to put us 13 down with 3 minutes to go. I actually yelled at the TV like I would if it was the other way around and Carlton were coming.

Watch the whole game and tell me how s**t we are im edging to this
Had to go back and watch these two moments in particular because I distinctly remember thinking we'd been playing okay but completely wasted some easy opportunities. After that Carlton demolished us for the rest of the quarter.

Trac just plays off instinct so much more as a forward, whereas you can tell he overthinks too much at times when he's in the middle. He's not a good defensive player either, so the midfield tends to expose his flaws a bit more.

When he's deep forward, he's close to unstoppable if he's isolated with a defender, and his attitude seems to change noticeably (has a level of campaigner about him, which is the mark of a good forward haha).

West Coast and St Kilda over the next two games – absolutely no reason for him to spend any significant time in the middle, especially if McAdam isn't ready to go.

Thought I'd check Demonland for some reasonable, unbiased analysis (this is only from the first two pages of the post-game) :rainbow::

Cheated.
actually cheated and dudded
Anyone who bags the team after that should be shot! Unbelievable effort!!
Normally pretty depressed after a loss like that but how proud of the boys. Magnificent.
Don't kid yourself, we deserved to win that. That pretty obviously touched by May "goal" and the dangerous tackle call too. Thats a moral victory and shows us that when we bring our best out, we are incredible
So the umpiring did cost us a game no matter how we played.
Umpires save those [censored] again. Every [censored] time.
And ultimately lost by a cheat dangerous tackle call.
AFL will come out and say they made a mistake on that sling tackle free kick

Which means we won, again, against Carlton, except for the umpiring.

Was the JVR decision poor? Absolutely. But how about the team and coaching staff takes some accountability for being 30-0 down at quarter time, being rubbish in the rain yet again, and still not fixing our issues ahead of the ball that have been present for 3+ years?

Make no mistake, there was no masterful coaching or system adjustments that got us back into that game. It was one star player who went nuts.

IIRC best part of the JVR tackle was Pickett playing on with a dribble kick from the pocket that missed everything, assume advantage would have been called so who gives a shit, wed have ****ed it up even if JVR had rightfully won the free.

IIRC best part of the JVR tackle was Pickett playing on with a dribble kick from the pocket that missed everything, assume advantage would have been called so who gives a s**t, wed have ****ed it up even if JVR had rightfully won the free.
Didn't Langdon collect it in the goalsquare for the goal?

Thought I'd check Demonland for some reasonable, unbiased analysis (this is only from the first two pages of the post-game) :rainbow::

Was the JVR decision poor? Absolutely. But how about the team and coaching staff takes some accountability for being 30-0 down at quarter time, being rubbish in the rain yet again, and still not fixing our issues ahead of the ball that have been present for 3+ years?

Make no mistake, there was no masterful coaching or system adjustments that got us back into that game. It was one star player who went nuts.
My favourite bit : Don't kid yourself, we deserved to win that. That pretty obviously touched by May "goal" and the dangerous tackle call too. Thats a moral victory and shows us that when we bring our best out, we are incredible

....We won the moral premiership last year too. We are incredible...at dominating inside 50's in games like this and not being able to win.

As said in this thread already, the minute Kozzy missed and sprayed a shot across the face into the behind post, i knew then that we where going to lose by a point but our inability to actually score one for a change

I was like to my mates "Watch us kick the next goal now and then lose by a point"

NOT that it was the sole reason we lost lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UGLY:
Harrison Petty has a shot on goal that a primary school child would get. What happens? FM.
I suspect he is hoping that he gets dropped and given a ticket to SA.

Re the bad umpiring. When Stevic or Williamson are umpiring, you know it will be bad for both sides.

I actually think JVR got away with a late spoil in the 3rd quarter which lead to petracca running into goal. I was expecting the mark to be paid. Need to rewatch it.

Overall I'm not proud of the effort more annoyed it took so long. I'm not all negative either, I don't think this is a paper over the cracks game. The Brisbane game was but we dominated Carlton in the last. I definitely think we got something out of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/bad/ugly vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back