Remove this Banner Ad

ErrolSt_Boy

Team Captain
Suspended
Oct 27, 2008
Errol St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Heard on SEN a few minutes ago. They asked the question to calls with Australia Government in putting heaps of money into the bid of the World Cup. Will Soccer ever take over AFL as the most popular sport? It was 50/50. Some callers said 5 to 10 years :mad:I think AFL will always be the most popular sport in Australia with soccer you don't always see the best soccer stars and if they do come over to Australia there going to be poached for more money overseas. Australians breath and live Footy.

Good argument allthough i cant see it happening. I do like the soccer though and have been to a few Victory games and they have been awesome!! :thumbsu: Would be good to see both take off and it gives me something to watch in the Off season. :)

Like you mentioned the big factor is the Stars being recruited overseas i.e Kewell , Cahill , Emmerton , etc etc if these guys were playing in the A league it may be different.

I'm passionate about both footy and football (soccer) and I can safely say that even though soccer is the most popular sport in the world, footy will always be the most popular sport in Australia simply because it is our game. Just look at America and the NFL, NBA and MBL, all more popular than soccer even though they have been pumping the money into the sport for about 10 years now.

Soccer will be a very close second though.

Soccer will probably take over in terms of participation, but it's unlikely to become the number one water-cooler sport. the a-league is already stagnating, even if its media boosters can't see it. look to the united states: soccer was to take over there after they hosted the world cup, and then beckham was meant to give the sport a shot in the arm. soccer there is still a curiosity. soccer is likely to be more successful here, if only because the sporting landscape is already split by the football/ league divide. that said, the a-league really doesn't float my boat

Given time they'll be a more credible and fierce rival to AFL for the title as the #1 code in Australia, but I doubt we'll see it within 50-60 years.

It has the potential to, but I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime.

Well the AFL is giving soccer and other sports a huge opportunity to make inroads because our game, the game we all grew up with and love does not exist anymore.
Australian Rules Football was a game played about 20 years ago.
The AFL is a mix between Aussie Rules, Netball, Gaelic Football and Rugby.

While we continue to panda to the softies of society and make the game a game it was not designed to be then I think Soccer will take over a lot quicker than it should.

The only hope for a game called Australian Rules Football to survive long term and come out of hibernation is a break away comp and that is not going to happen.

Most people follow the AFL simply because its the only game which resembles Australian Rules Football, not because it is Australian Rules Football.

Soccer will probably take over in terms of participation, but it's unlikely to become the number one water-cooler sport. the a-league is already stagnating, even if its media boosters can't see it. look to the united states: soccer was to take over there after they hosted the world cup, and then beckham was meant to give the sport a shot in the arm. soccer there is still a curiosity. soccer is likely to be more successful here, if only because the sporting landscape is already split by the football/ league divide. that said, the a-league really doesn't float my boat

It was a curiosity back in the early 70's when Pele played with the Cosmos. Almost 40 years on and it's still a curiosity? They are doomed.

I don't think you can call the world game a 'curiosity'.

Still, I don't think it will ever take over as the number 1 football code. Similar to the US with NFL or baseball

It is in this country. What kinds of crowds to they get at the soccer? Collingwood gets more at training.

Gee, another 'soccer vs football' thread, especially in an 'Australian Football forum'. These throw up always new points of views that we have never heard before!

Sorry for being a bit sarcastic.

OK my opinion (as a big soccer fan) is this.

In football states (Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania, Northern Territory and Western Australia) Australian Football will remain the dominant code. It is part and parcel of Australian culture and tradition.

However there will be more bicodalism (which is good) that is more fans will follow both Australian Rules Football and Soccer than before. Bicodalism is evident in younger people where they saw soccer on SBS, or played it at school etc.

I have noticed that amongst people of my age (ie 45+) very few (especially those with a English Speaking Background who were born in Australia) who are Australian Rules fans are interested in soccer, while I met quite a few Melbourne Victory fans below 30 years of age that are also very passionate AFL supporters.

The Melbourne Victory forum has a thread for each Victorian AFL team where lively debate is always occurring. Often Melbourne Victory fans who support different teams go together to an AFL match if their teams are playing each other.

The other question is regarding 'new territories'. That is a different question. My belief is that and AFL team will do better in the Gold Coast than an A-League one, while an A-League team will do better than an AFL team in Western Sydney. It depends on the culture of the place. So that situation is more fluid than Australian Rules states.

So have no fear AFL fans. Soccer will not 'take over'. However it will become more prominent in the Australian sporting landscape.

There will be committed soccer fans (which can also follow AFL) and there will always be a group of sport fans that will follow the Australian National team when it plays (especially if hopefully we make the world cup) the same way as many follow the Wallabies or athletes during the Olympics.

I do feel a bit annoyed when some commentators (ie Martin Flanagan) sometime write about soccer as an evil jaggernaut taking over our indigenous sport. This attitude motivate anti-soccer commentary in the media which are totally unncecessary. Relax. There will be space for everyone.

It is in this country. What kinds of crowds to they get at the soccer? Collingwood gets more at training.

This makes no sense at all. Low crowd figures doesn't mean the game is a curiosity.

In the early 70's the New York Cosmos were getting 70,0000 people at their games, out of curiosity.

And i also doubt that the Pies get 10,000-20,000 at their training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the AFL is giving soccer and other sports a huge opportunity to make inroads because our game, the game we all grew up with and love does not exist anymore.
Australian Rules Football was a game played about 20 years ago.
The AFL is a mix between Aussie Rules, Netball, Gaelic Football and Rugby.

While we continue to panda to the softies of society and make the game a game it was not designed to be then I think Soccer will take over a lot quicker than it should.

The only hope for a game called Australian Rules Football to survive long term and come out of hibernation is a break away comp and that is not going to happen.

Most people follow the AFL simply because its the only game which resembles Australian Rules Football, not because it is Australian Rules Football.

I don't follow this line of thinking.

Firstly, despite everyone bitching and moaning about footy becoming soft the AFL's attendances continue to rise year after year. So obviously a few diehards becoming disillusioned isn't going to stop the growth of the sport.

Secondly, if people do become disillusioned with how 'soft' the game has become why on earth would they switch to following soccer? It's the softest of all the football codes. It's not like all the grizzled old footy supporters are going to think 'Right... AFL's gone soft, I'm going to go support a sport where guys roll around on the ground pretending to be hurt and get stretchered off only to run straight back on the ground. Yeah that'll fill my need for a tough sport."

Couldn't have put it better myself, very leveled argument.

With the emergeance of soccer it will certainly put pressure on the AFL to lift is game though. They have just teatered along, now with the NRL expanding into other areas (GC) and soccer growing, pressure will be on the afl Boss.

Interesting to see if Australia are sucessful in the bid for the World Cup in 2018 what stadiums will be used. World Cup will be Held in June period (as this is the off season for European clubs and major leagues around the world). This is also the middle of the AFL season. MCG, Telstra Dome are likely to be used as major venues in Victoria. I guess we will see then where the power/popularity is.

I enjoy both codes of football, but Australian Football is my #1.

As long as the AFL sticks to its guns and expands the game into the key growth areas of Western Sydney and SEQ ASAP... then Australian Football will have a good chance of still being in front of Association Football in 50 years.

NSW and Qld jointly hold 50% of the Australian population, and Australian Football is currently a minority sport in these markets. Until I moved out of Melboure some years ago now, I did not realise how small the AFL was in Greater Sydney and Brisbane/SEQ.

FIFA will never overtake football in this country.

It has to pass Rugby League first, and I can't even see that happening

I don't know about that, i reckon League is the most vunerable of the football codes. Despite having a good following it's mostly had a failed expansion into 'enemy territory' where as Union and AFL have been successful in theres. Soccer has a national appeal and isn't limited in some states due to a fierce football code rivalry so it's got that advantage going for it.

I think there is a good chance. Soccer is the world's biggest sport - and getting bigger.

With media satellites, internet live streaming, we are all in one big community. Look at the buzz Adelaide United got for the Asian Cup. Imagine when Real Madrid, Man U and Boca Juniors come for games that really mean something (not cr*ppy end-of-season tours).

The VFL had to expand 20 years ago to go national - the sport had to be bigger to garner the same level of interest. Where do they go next?

We see it happening with the NRL having a NZ team, the NBL having NZ and Singapore teams (Ok, Singapore failed). The 'All-Aussie V8s' now race in NZ, China and Bahrain (or is it UAR? Whatever). The 'insular' americans have Canadian teams in the NHL, NBL, MLB and probably NFL soon (Buffalo will probably go North). They have talked for years about teams in Mexico.

Consider an Asian Soccer league - 2-3 teams from Australia, Japan, China, etc. Winners qualify for next level (a la European Cup).

Face it, major sport is going worldwide these days - AFL is a major sport in 4 states in a tiny country. It's facing serious competition.

I think the contraction of support for the A-League over the last year or so has shown that Soccer will never take over from Footy as the number 1 sport in Australia. People are happy for their kids to play it because its easy for them to understand and relatively safe, but when they choose which sport they'd prefer to watch and follow they're still more likely to go to the AFL.

Agree with kaypee. Was gong to say pretty much the exact same thing. Soccor may be bigger than AFL in terms of child participation. However any Australian who is good at soccer goes to Europe. The A LEague will never have enough quality to pull crowds and become bigger than AFL.

FIFA will never overtake football in this country.

It has to pass Rugby League first, and I can't even see that happening

Rugby League is on its knees.
Soon it will be on its ass.
Then it will be either on its back, or back on its knees (and hands) taking it from Rugby Union in a merged rugby game.
Don't worry about RL, they are GAWN.

Rugby League is on its knees.
Soon it will be on its ass.
Then it will be either on its back, or back on its knees (and hands) taking it from Rugby Union in a merged rugby game.
Don't worry about RL, they are GAWN.
If only that was true as the sport, but mainly it's supporters $hits me. But lets be realistic here. on round aggregate it gets about 3 times the A-league for crowds. But it also has better ratings than the a-league on PayTV.

I know soccer is more than the A-league, and even though inerest levels do go up every four years. It still has a long way to go to catch the top 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Soccer ever take over AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back