Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

In what respect was it poor out of interest (the S&C program I mean) in your opinion?
Without going into to much detail ......you dont do a gym session on your legs then go out and run 16 to 20 x 60 mtre sprints or visa versa. I honestly beleive the groups would have been better served being at there State league clubs doing preseason skills, game sense, gym and fitness. The skills sessions they are doing are basic U16 drills. There recent games in the dry showed when they were up against sides that have been working on game sense, they were left wanting. Kids also need to be individually assesed when put on weights.....what size they are depends what size you lift......more reps is heaps better than the total weight you try and lift.......the list goes on......like I said I hope the boys dont end up injured during the sesson or worst still before or during the Nationals.

Maybe your unsure of how the program works, but the main focus is to present the players stronger and fitter to the QLD state coaching staff for the to work on their game plan etc.

There is no winnable game to play for in this process, therefore game sense stuff is not really the number 1 priority because it will no doubt change from the moment they arrive for state training.

From a fitness and weights perspective, I believe whilst it has been hard for the players it has certainly improved quite few players in the GC team who may not have achieved the results if managing it by themselves or state league club.

Whilst the program hasn't been perfect, I believe we can only judge in three months time when QLD play.

Maybe your unsure of how the program works, but the main focus is to present the players stronger and fitter to the QLD state coaching staff for the to work on their game plan etc.

There is no winnable game to play for in this process, therefore game sense stuff is not really the number 1 priority because it will no doubt change from the moment they arrive for state training.

From a fitness and weights perspective, I believe whilst it has been hard for the players it has certainly improved quite few players in the GC team who may not have achieved the results if managing it by themselves or state league club.

Whilst the program hasn't been perfect, I believe we can only judge in three months time when QLD play.

We all agree on one thing.....that is to get the qld boys to the southern states level of playing football. IMO Strength and Conditioning is a small part, skill is a huge part. Many lads still cant kick on there opposite side, dont know what to do under pressure, decision making.....all skills of the game, and some of these boys are favourites of selectors. Yet they can run 2k in 6mins that will put you on top of selectors list. To me thats rookie mentality where they say we want an athlete and teach him the skills of the game. Im affraid the skills sessions havent lived up to this and certainly an area that improvement is required. Am also well aware of what they wanted to acheive from the programme......as the trainer told the boys if you cant get 2k in well under 7mins you wont get looked at.
By the way who was the S&C people employed for the Gold Coast?

The thing is if you look at who has been drafted over the last few years from QLD, how many have been natural footballers from a young age. Hampson, Tippett, Zac Smith, Dixon (I think), Wilkinson are all converts and purely picked on athletiscm, with the AFL system to make the changes. Look at Pendlebury, he wouldn't have had the skills / decision making of AFL ability when he got drafted.

I agree the skills in game conditions is an area the state system will have to fix as they were pretty ordinary over the last two weekends, but I don't think playing against senior sides was beneficial. Labarador pretty much had 15 of their grand final side playing from last year, add in Sleeth and a couple of new boys against the scorpions side.

I'm not sure of favourites of selectors, I know the GC was picked solely on performance and you will notice quite a few 17 yo's made it. Will they make the state side, who knows, but their was definately one maybe more who made state under 16's two years ago under same state coaching team, and didn't make the GC 25. I also didn't see Ives name in Brisbane team, not sure if he's injured but he is certainly a player of quality.

The GC was under the Suns Academy so were looked after by one of their training staff. "......as the trainer told the boys if you cant get 2k in well under 7mins you wont get looked at." I think that would be goal to be achieved by smalls, and realistically if you want to be taking your football to the highest level you would want to be able to achieve that, in saying that, I'm certain not the whole 25 in the GC side went under 7 mins.

As you say we all agree that we want a competitive side to represent QLD and get players drafted, it would be nice to get back to 2006 drafting wise.

The thing is if you look at who has been drafted over the last few years from QLD, how many have been natural footballers from a young age. Hampson, Tippett, Zac Smith, Dixon (I think), Wilkinson are all converts and purely picked on athletiscm, with the AFL system to make the changes. Look at Pendlebury, he wouldn't have had the skills / decision making of AFL ability when he got drafted.

I agree the skills in game conditions is an area the state system will have to fix as they were pretty ordinary over the last two weekends, but I don't think playing against senior sides was beneficial. Labarador pretty much had 15 of their grand final side playing from last year, add in Sleeth and a couple of new boys against the scorpions side.

I'm not sure of favourites of selectors, I know the GC was picked solely on performance and you will notice quite a few 17 yo's made it. Will they make the state side, who knows, but their was definately one maybe more who made state under 16's two years ago under same state coaching team, and didn't make the GC 25. I also didn't see Ives name in Brisbane team, not sure if he's injured but he is certainly a player of quality.

The GC was under the Suns Academy so were looked after by one of their training staff. "......as the trainer told the boys if you cant get 2k in well under 7mins you wont get looked at." I think that would be goal to be achieved by smalls, and realistically if you want to be taking your football to the highest level you would want to be able to achieve that, in saying that, I'm certain not the whole 25 in the GC side went under 7 mins.

As you say we all agree that we want a competitive side to represent QLD and get players drafted, it would be nice to get back to 2006 drafting wise.
Great that the GC boys had Suns trainers.......Nth boys had a franchise outfit hired, hence my earlier comments(they had no idea) IMO, and have been resposible for damageing 2 Gold Coast teams in there short history. Damage I mean frequent injuries to players and to many to think accidental.
Ives broke a colarbone 2 weeks ago 1st game Vs MtG.
All were told up Nth......gym stats count and what he reports back determins if they get in or not.
As for best players getting in.....well this is the name of this thread and for this very reason. I wont name around 6 players that didnt perform as expected who are in the next phase, and some that did well got outed. Just check the best players in the programme and the web site and Id have thought all of them would have the next chance, but no not all did. Others got in that didnt perform that makes a mokery of the hit outs and what they originaly got told.......win your position

Thanks Brisvegas - having a background in the S&C area (and I don't mean a Cert IV done in 6 weeks either!) I was interested to know what you were talking about.

Cerainly the ground rules have changed from years gone by and athletes are looked at with far more rigour than say 10 years ago. In Qld i would imagine the thinking is that there are very few natural fooballers and hence athletes rule the roost here. Why I say this is bc the amount of time a boy in Qld has the footy in the hand from say age 4 would be on average 50% less than a boy from the southern states. Take into account that very few boys here watch quaity football week in week out, unlike our southern cousins then the development of MOST boys in Qld is a fair bit behind and certainly very few of them are as fooy smart with their decisions as others. I say this with a little bit of knowledge having been involved in various rep programs as a coach for the past 15 years.
Not really criticism at all but just an adjustment in the thinking process for players and parents alike!
Still believe that boys here would be far better off heading to the VFL or SANFL at age 19 than staying here, see how they go for 1-3 yeas an then come back better for it if they indeed don't make it.

Thanks Brisvegas - having a background in the S&C area (and I don't mean a Cert IV done in 6 weeks either!) I was interested to know what you were talking about.

Cerainly the ground rules have changed from years gone by and athletes are looked at with far more rigour than say 10 years ago. In Qld i would imagine the thinking is that there are very few natural fooballers and hence athletes rule the roost here. Why I say this is bc the amount of time a boy in Qld has the footy in the hand from say age 4 would be on average 50% less than a boy from the southern states. Take into account that very few boys here watch quaity football week in week out, unlike our southern cousins then the development of MOST boys in Qld is a fair bit behind and certainly very few of them are as fooy smart with their decisions as others. I say this with a little bit of knowledge having been involved in various rep programs as a coach for the past 15 years.
Not really criticism at all but just an adjustment in the thinking process for players and parents alike!
Still believe that boys here would be far better off heading to the VFL or SANFL at age 19 than staying here, see how they go for 1-3 yeas an then come back better for it if they indeed don't make it.
Couldnt agree more with the standard and quality down in the Sth States, and yes SANFL or VFL would be a good move if there good enough. In saying that though the State league Seniors isnt a bad comp for 17 and 18 yyr olds to try and make and looks to be improving. Not near VFL standard when you have older players that cant make VFL coming up here, and getting walk up starts. Check the other thread about Interstate U18 comp that Ive heard is gathering slight momentum from a few clubs wanting something better......somehow I dont think they will throw money at it but its a definate way of getting 17 and 18yr olds playing weekin weekout against quality opposition. As for this years 18s we shall just have to wait and see how they perform under the same coach as last year, then see what they invent for next year. Broom through the whole system I say and start thinking outside the square......whats the old saying cant teach an old dog new tricks......time for some new tricks

For anyone who is really interested in seeing the U18's, Brisbane vrs GC at Zillmere the next two saturdays at 1pm. Well definately this Saturday at 1pm.

Talk is the Brissy outfit stronger, and probably is on paper but when your playing for State spots the true competitve juices will flow.

Looking forward to some good contests, a bit different feeling with the new concept, no state championships.

Couldnt agree more with the standard and quality down in the Sth States, and yes SANFL or VFL would be a good move if there good enough. In saying that though the State league Seniors isnt a bad comp for 17 and 18 yyr olds to try and make and looks to be improving. Not near VFL standard when you have older players that cant make VFL coming up here, and getting walk up starts. Check the other thread about Interstate U18 comp that Ive heard is gathering slight momentum from a few clubs wanting something better......somehow I dont think they will throw money at it but its a definate way of getting 17 and 18yr olds playing weekin weekout against quality opposition. As for this years 18s we shall just have to wait and see how they perform under the same coach as last year, then see what they invent for next year. Broom through the whole system I say and start thinking outside the square......whats the old saying cant teach an old dog new tricks......time for some new tricks

I'm talking about moreso once they leave the 18's and haven't been drafted. Reckon the State league is a fanastic grounding for kids trying to get drafted as 17/18 yr olds though with great grounds, good standard against men and at the end of the day boys won't get drafted from this comp but from the National 18's Champs.
The NEAFL will assist with recruiting older players from the weaker leagues but may as well go all or nothing IMO and if you are good enough as a 20yr old to play consistently well in the SANFL / VFL then you will definitley get drafted these days.

A very entertaining game yesterday with GC/Country beating Brisbane/Suncoast boys by a point. GC up by 4 goals early with great pressure on their opponents. After half time Brissy run got them back into the game to close the margin, but fell short.

Will be interesting to see who made the selectors take attention, but a few 17 yo's in GC played well which will make it a bit more interesting.

Second game next week so a few players will be looking to cement their place and some to try and get a spot.

Who impressed, especially those that maybe werent expected to? Will be interesting to see if performances in these games is enough to get an outsider such as a non high profile under 17 in the final team? Hard to believe that the previous two weeks game's performances were used as the main criteria to get to the next level - after months of preseason training and not much in terms of game practice, surely hard to judge players purely on the basis of 4 x 40 min games, 3 against senior sides and two in the wet. Certainly it seems that some who had trained only in a limited way over the summer and had limited effect in games were retained, which is in itself fair enough if due to injury (as long as injury is going to settle soon and allow player to train and play to full potential soon) however does suggest that at least some of who were cut and who were retained was decided well before first trial game.
I'm sure that most of the final 25 has already been pencilled in, but let's hope that there are still some spots available for a boy who performs exceptionally well over these final 2 weeks in the selection process, and they are truely "playing for their positions" in these games

I don't know the Brisbane side so can't make comment but the players I thought did well for GC/ Country were Habberfield, Davidson, Hopkins & Payne. Usual suspects that played well were Tucker, Rolfe, Michael & Kolka.

Will be interesting to see how both side back up for next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know the Brisbane side so can't make comment but the players I thought did well for GC/ Country were Habberfield, Davidson, Hopkins & Payne. Usual suspects that played well were Tucker, Rolfe, Michael & Kolka.

were do you find scores and best players,heard brisbane team had 29 players playing and gold coast 26 no wonder brisbane team came back
after half time (fresh legs) heard from someone that they thought the gold coast would get floged.also heard that rolfe, kolka and michael were standouts for gold coast

were do you find scores and best players,heard brisbane team had 29 players playing and gold coast 26 no wonder brisbane team came back
after half time (fresh legs) heard from someone that they thought the gold coast would get floged.also heard that rolfe, kolka and michael were standouts for gold coast

Another competitive game with Brissy winning by 8 points, kicked a goal in the last minute to assure victory. Not really sure what the victory means as players moved around regularly for selectors to view them in a variety of spots.
I believe state side will be announced tomorrow so will wait and see if there are any surprises. From GC / Country point of view, Michael, Tucker, Rolfe, Kolka, Thurlow I would think would be definates, with probably six to eight mre to be considered. A couple of 17yo's stood out yesterday especially Davidson, this kid can mark well above his height.

Will await and see how the team looks.

SCORPIONS SIDE NAMED FOR 2011
Seven members of the 2010 Australia Post Queensland Scorpions side were named today in a 27-man squad for the 2011 NAB Australian U18 championships campaign.

Monday, 4 April, 2011

Seven members of the 2010 Australia Post Queensland Scorpions side were named today in a 27-man squad for the 2011 NAB Australian U18 championships campaign.

The group, chosen from a squad of 100+ players that underwent a five-month pre-season high performance training program combining strength, fitness, core stability, speed and skills training, will tackle three games against TAC Cup opposition and five games in the five NAB AFL National Championships.

Backing up from last year will be Josh Kolka, Aaron Laskey, Sam Michael, Adam Oxley, Jackson Rolfe, Dalton Tucker and Peter Yagmoor.

In extending the squad beyond the original 25 the selectors took in account the fact that Michael (pictured), Brian Coleman-Broom and Alex Sexton will leave shortly for an AIS/AFL Academy of Europe that will see them miss the early part of the Scorpions campaign.

According to State Talent Manager Bob Batty, selectors had a very difficult task in picking the final team after two close and competitive trial games over the past two weeks which finished with margins of less than a goal.

Batty advised that for players who missed selection are encouraged to go back to senior clubs and keep working on all aspects of their game and produce results that will keep you under notice for future selection.

“The door is always ajar regarding opportunities to play at the next level,” he said.

Selectors will arrange an exit interview meeting over the next two weeks with all players who have missed selection.

Batty said selectors wanted to especially thank Ray Windsor (Brisbane Scorpions) and Jarrod Field (Gold Coast Scorpions) and their respective staff for their tireless pre-season efforts.

The following players, listed with their age as at 1 April 2011 and the current clubs, are required to attend the first training session on Wednesday (6 April) at Zillmere – 5pm for a 5.30pm start.

Jackson ALLEN - 18 - Morningside
Sam CABRERA - 18 - Rookie Search – Aspley
Clay CAMERON - 16 - Mt Gravatt
Luke CHITTY - 17 - Morningside via Cairns
Brian COLEMAN-BROOME - 16 - Morningside
Shaun CROOK - 16 - Aspley
Tom DAVIDSON - 17 - Broadbeach
Spencer GREVILLE - 17 - Aspley
Mitch HOPKINS - 17 - Southport
Daniel HUNT - 18 - BITS Gladstone
Henry JOYCE - 17 - Morningside via Townsville
Josh KOLKA - 18 - Broadbeach
Aaron LASKEY - 17 - Aspley via Noosa
Sam MICHAEL - 17 - Redland via Cairns
Chris MURPHY - 18 - Mt Gravatt
Adam OXLEY - 18 - Redland
Sam PANOHO - 18 - Aspley via Caloundra
Luke REYNOLDS - 18 - Sandgate
Jackson ROLFE - 18 - Broadbeach
Lachlan RUSS - 18 - Morningside
Alex SEXTON - 17 - Redland
Josh SMITH - 17 - Morningside via Darling Downs
Fraser THOMPSON - 17 - Aspley
Fraser THURLOW - 18 - Southport
Dalton TUCKER - 18 - Southport
Josh WAGNER - 16 - Aspley
Peter YAGMOOR - 17 - Morningside

Thoughts?
The way the ages are given (as at 1st April) is a bit confusing but I think 6 bottom age at least (born 1994) - Cameron (hope hes over his OP as was still restricting him over the summer?), Coleman-Broome, Crook, Davidson, Smith and Wagner. Not sure how many 19 year olds this year?
Any notable ommisions - seems a couple of names that had a game or two last year as 17year olds not on the list? And a couple of others highly rated a couple of years ago no longer in the mix it seems?

Im sure we will see this squad get changed during the carnival like last year. Some of the underages will struggle against the top states, but they will have a crack. A few injury concerns and a few still injured from earlier that Im sure will get a run when there match fit.
There is a few quality names missing from last years 18s but I reckon they will also still get a run as the floggings occur again like last year. Already copped a belting from Vic side Sandrigham and the stats show the skills are still not up to Vic standards. Hope next game is a better one for there confidence

Who are the best TAC side mind you! Not sure what ppl expect from Qld boys? It will be 10 years before they compete reguarly with the big football states (Vic, SA, WA) for a variety of reasons. I think that their goal should be to win the Div 2 title each year and be competitive when given the chance to compete against the bigger states. What those other states don't tend to have is 'rookie' players who have played for less than 2 years in some cases. Massive leap for these kids going to a national carnival.

Heard the boys did improve last week against Dandenong. Score didn't really reflect the contest?? Only 2nd hit out together as a side?? Word is, still a few playing out of position, not many changes during the game?? Thought these hitout's were practice matches for Nationals?? Will be an interesting match next Saturday at Cooparoo. FYI - Was a Kid didn't play - picked up stats on match results page for last weekend ??? I see what you mean !!

heard 2 new boys came in last game to replace 1 injured at training but not sure about the 2nd inclusions reason. Stats for Jackson A must have been 1 of the replacement boys wearing his jumper........home game should be interesting. More changes to come with the AIS boys yet to play, not sure they will make much of a difference, but as long as they are competative thats all you can ask. Will the best footballers be selected, I think they have this year........maybe this thread should be "Will the best Coach be selected for the U18s". Hopefully they look at his stats and make changes like they do with under performing players. Interesting article on the TAC cup web site about the Qld boys being fatiged against Sandringham......yet they have introduced a conditioning expert to get them in prime condition.

heard 2 new boys came in last game to replace 1 injured at training but not sure about the 2nd inclusions reason. Stats for Jackson A must have been 1 of the replacement boys wearing his jumper........home game should be interesting. More changes to come with the AIS boys yet to play, not sure they will make much of a difference, but as long as they are competative thats all you can ask. Will the best footballers be selected, I think they have this year........maybe this thread should be "Will the best Coach be selected for the U18s". Hopefully they look at his stats and make changes like they do with under performing players. Interesting article on the TAC cup web site about the Qld boys being fatiged against Sandringham......yet they have introduced a conditioning expert to get them in prime condition.

If people concur on this issue, feel free to change the name of the thread.Maybe to Under 18's Qld you guys work it out.
If this becomes policy then the Qld footy pathway can start moving forward and that's all any of us have wanted..

Heard the match day prep against Sandi was questionable, prepping the 'tank' with food - questionable??? Pre season down southern end of town like training for the 2012 Olympics - not a lot of ball handling. Would'nt say conditioning lacks ATM - Lets see this weekend ?? Preparation should be top notch not travelling and relying on a 3rd party.
My info on the 'stats' - all players asigned jumpers ??? Don't know who does the stats, but, it's not the first time i've seen this happen - shame is - One (or a couple) of the boys miss out !! especially with 3 'ins' this weekend.
I sense some pressure on the coaching staff if they are fair dinkum in playing the 'best available'...................

If people concur on this issue, feel free to change the name of the thread.Maybe to Under 18's Qld you guys work it out.
If this becomes policy then the Qld footy pathway can start moving forward and that's all any of us have wanted..

Na thread is good as is Beach.......hopefully the pathway is working its way forward. At least the AFL know they had problems up here and initiated actions. Suppose we all wont agree with them(AFLQ), but they have jobs to keep and like everyone under them if your not doing what they want done then you get rated, judged, overlooked or dumped........AFL should do the same with there employees up here, if they are underperforming and not producing results.......
its not always the cattle

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back